Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Blackfyre posted:

Think it's pretty cool they are releasing the same time.

Partly as it works out better for us in the UK but same time is about as fair as you can get in these future steam days.
Well, they tried releasing DS3 on the same day for everyone and Bandai Namco deliberately kicked it along to skew their quarterly reports, so it's nice to know they can get it right when they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
After shamelessly spoiling myself on the bosses ( gently caress it, I need all the help I can get ) some of the size scaling and gimmicks of certain bosses has me pretty hype for when Bloodborne 2 inevitably gets made.

Looks like the guide has been delayed like last time though, it was supposed to release at the same time and I'm getting a 'we've got no bloody idea when we'll actually have this' from Amazon.

limited fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 11, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Ineffiable posted:

Where? UK? Amazon has already shipped the guide to me and it'll be here tomorrow with my collector's edition. This is US.
Yeah, UK. And also :argh: in your general direction.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Frankston posted:

How many bosses are in this game? I've only beaten three so far and I'm 11 hours in so it surprises me to hear people say they've completed the game in 20 hours or whatever.
If DS3 is like most of the other games, there's bosses you must beat for actual game progression, while others are optional, and typically unlock shortcuts / items.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

aas Bandit posted:

That was good, and you should feel good.
Definitely. Bravo for not going for the obvious track too. :golfclap:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Minor thing for folks who are just checking out the scenery and might be using the torch, you can actually hold it up and increase the lighting effect, it's not just a held passive anymore. :toot:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

oldpainless posted:

Question about early game character

The crestfallen warrior in Firelink Shrine is sometimes not there when I warp in. Is he going somewhere or is the game glitching or something? I leave and come back and he's back after 2 loading screens.
He'll occasionally go outside and visit the gravestones.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Nuggan posted:

Hey dude that just wasted my time for 10 minutes running in circles in front of the abyss walkers door and then unsummoned me: gently caress you.
If you use the Black Seperation Crystal as a phantom you can also unsummon yourself to deal with asshats like this.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Is there a official goon-password for co-op yet? I'd like to be summoned by, or summon people who don't try to attack bosses with a sliver of health. :sigh:

Also, gently caress swamp areas. Bloodborne didn't have one, and everyone was happy.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

voltron lion force posted:

Bloodborne definitely did have one. Remember the nightmare frontier?
Oh yeah. poo poo. :doh: At least that was smaller and a one-way corridor.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Boomstick Quaid posted:

If you feel outnumbered as an invader... Then you should know that sunbro invaders get priority to hosts that are already in the processed being invaded

You're basically sunbroing for the invader
It's still co-operation dammit!

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Argh. Booting people back to the menu when the connection drops is not cool. loving hell. I had the goddamn Abyss Watchers down to a quarter and BAM. I didn't even have any phantoms. :argh:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

CJacobs posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, the guide is a very reliable source of infor
Hah! I didn't even notice this misprint in my copy. Prima is still owned by EA if I remember rightly, plus write their own poo poo without including the game devs, and god, it shows. Nearly every boss is basically three paragraphs of, 'roll away from attacks, hit boss' with hardly any detail whatsoever. It's so bloody lazy and obviously been rushed out for release, compared to the guides for the other games.

The other guides by Future Press were insanely detailed. Diagrams, and even screenshots that showed you when to parry or roll. The Bloodborne guide even had diagrams for each weapon that showed which frames you could parry or roll out of.

The guide doesn't even mention you can parry the first boss and make his first phase a joke. Not even a single sentence. At least the notebook looks nice. :allears: Apparently the flask with the Estus edition is basically a piece of unfinished green plastic that looks like poo poo.

limited fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 17, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Vargs posted:

I also like how that page seems to suggest swapping to heavy armor to become "a brick wall/sponge/brute", while in reality armor does nothing meaningful at all.
Actually leafing through and reading, the guide is so hilariously bad. The covenant chapter actually has a sentence under the Mound-Makers that doesn't actually mention how to join the covenant, but they don't mention it there in case of spoilers.

In a strategy guide. In the chapter about Covenants, where you would reasonably look, to know how to join them if you missed them in the first place! :lol:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Who needs a flame infusion when you can reinforce the torch? :supaburn:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Zerilan posted:

Is there a downside to Hollowing beyond cosmetics?
Supposedly it fucks with your ability to co-op, making it impossible at higher levels. I think someone on earlier pages said they got up to 99 and had no problem though.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I'd just like to find whoever put the ballista in the lake, and punch them solidly in the dick. Over. And over. gently caress that thing.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Ramsus posted:

Is anyone else here a total bum that uses a bow to cheese anything remotely hard? That rat wolf thing on the bridge I would spawn it, run past it then hit it with arrows, repeat till dead. The phantoms helping me on Old Demon King died when he had 2/3 his hp left and I was out of estus, so I kited him with my bow until dead. Pretty much everything annoying and hard I'll find an angle where they are running against a wall and I can shoot their arm to death or something.

I really just need to start a new character that is pretty much bow/crossbow only.
Yup. I've pelted several of the larger demons because they can't fit through doors, or their pathfinding doesn't let them cross a threshold. In any other game it would be considered a bug, in Dark Souls, it's just playing smart. :smug:

Talking about smart, if anyone else is starting out as a knight, put a point in Faith. You can buy the basic talisman and the healing aid miracle. It's a godsend at the beginning when estus is pretty short, perfect for topping up any odd hits you might've taken. It's slow as hell to cast though, so save your estus for mid-fight chugs, unless it's a boss and you've got some phantoms keeping the boss busy.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

turtlecrunch posted:

There's human centipedes and beardoglegspiders. If you know the inside-out werewolves from Bloodborne the latter kind of look like that, but fuzzier and with an oni face.
The worst are called Deep Accursed and I've never been truly disturbed by a Dark Souls enemy until I saw these bastards moving.

I've never truly freaked out about a DS enemy before, but there's something about the animation and combination of features. :gonk:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Unkindled are "special"

They're undead but not really, they're not even really living. They're just vessels for the lords flames. There wasn't any in DS1 because that was the first time the fire was fading. They're probably failed Chosen Undead from previous cycles.
Reaching a bit, here, but I like this theory anyway. You could also be another heir of fire who hasn't got enough mojo to go full-on Lord of Cinder, and could have easily been another arsehole who wandered off to claim a kingdom like the other heirs or lords once you've taken a few names.

Just wait for the DLC, you'll end up bumping shoulders with NPC's who went the other way, and instead of going hollow, turned into Lords instead. :ssj:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

RBA Starblade posted:

I should just assume every enemy in the game can kill me in two hits or one combo after Lothric, shouldn't I.
Pretty much. I'll admit I'm kind of disappointed that the later half of the game devolves back into the lovely difficulty curve of enemies doing insane damage and having almost unbreakable poise in places.:sigh:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Ugh. It's kind of disheartening to see the DS bullshit difficulty bleed through in places when the rest of the game is so full of great ambushes and traps. The whole of Lothric must've watched Wanted on loop, because everyone can bend their arrows, bolts, and even their fireballs through drat near ninety degrees sometimes.

School Nickname posted:

I'm assuming that bosses have a bleed bar the same as us, and the reason I'm not destroying them with the lucky bleeder build is that I'm not attacking quickly enough with the uchi, correct? In that case should I keep it one handed in that case and up endurance? Or find a quicker weapon with a bleed effect?
Bosses, assuming they can be bled at all will have insane resistance to it. You'll probably be better off just aiming for straight up damaging instead of applying any status effects.

I miss the poison spells from DS2. :(

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think priscilla is probably alive because some item descriptions imply that aldrich dreamed of her but didn't find her, tho I can see why people think she's dead. maybe the dlc will go into the nito connection, but otherwise anything could be right because the game never mentions it at all
The start of the DLC will be Priscilla sinking into the painted world with a thumbs up. :lol:

Had something weird happen when I got booted mid-game and switched to offline ( So much for solving that title-screen booting last patch :argh: ) it actually fixed my NPC quests somewhat, or bugged them out worse, hard to tell. I've already killed waaayyy~ too many bosses to catch up on their storylines, but it kicked them all into the next steps that hadn't triggered because the game didn't feel like it. :confused:

On the topic of crummy triggers, I got confused as poo poo when I couldn't get into the Archives. Turns out you have to kill the other Lords before the NPC corpse with the key spawns.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Well, NG+ is less brutal this time around. The health and damage scaling isn't a vertical wall. But from what I've seen so far, there's no extra mobs or invasions.

Aztec posted:

Took me two playthroughs to realize the alluring skulls were meant FOR me, not for me. I played myself.
Never made that connection before. Still, they're fun to throw near the edges of cliffs. DS3 enemies like to do their running attacks at them. :unsmigghh:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

NESguerilla posted:

NG+ is easy mode but I'm finding Aldrich to be a bigger bitch than NG. I really hate this boss.
While the game is mostly fashion-souls, there is definitely value in switching up your armour for bosses with specific damage types. That's what clinched it for me when I was having trouble. Magic and slash resist helped me put him down.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

ProfessorBooty posted:

Estus abuse is a big problem
I'm sorry but I can't help but imagine some estus abuse PSA advert now with a soft-spoken celebrity voiceover. I hate my brain sometimes.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i feel like a read an excerpt from an interview where someone at From said they were already working on a new IP. and i think something about using the PSVR bullshit. so maybe a new giant robot game or something.
Wasn't there mutterings of a sci-fi souls game at some point ages ago? I could definitely go for Dead-Space-Souls. :unsmigghh:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Bugblatter posted:

My only real complaint with Farron is that it's visually boring. There are screens of an earlier version from the leak last year that looked a lot better. It was dusk and torches were the main light source. Much moodier and prettier, and tied it even closer to Darkroot (Color scheme was blues, purples, greens). I imagined it changed so that all the locations would have the same time of day, except for the ones that have story reasons for being different.
Besides the lovely slowdown gimmick, those weirdass pods dangling from the trees basically scream un-used monster or trap mechanic. I'm curious what the hell they were going to be for.

Seriously loathe the slowdown though. It's just a lovely way of making a area seem longer, but at least you can grab a dagger in DS3 and just bunnyhop through the lovely area this time around, unlike Amana. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

ScorpioMajesty posted:

BTW blessed infusion is really underrated and I love it for both pve and pvp.
It's great for the catacombs, if you haven't got the stats to use Blessed Weapon. Put away the regular sword, whip out the blessed one, step on a trap and die anyway. :unsmigghh: