Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hey i raise guinea fowl and right now i have nine 48-hour-old keets of various colours that i thought you might like to look at. i didn't want to spam the chook thread especially as guinea fowl technically aren't chickens.

for those who don't know, guinea fowl are a species of ground bird from guinea in africa. they're pretty easy to raise, about as easy as game chicken breeds, and they'll happily form a flock both with each other and with chickens so the two species can be housed together. (as opposed to other game birds like quail and partridges and i think turkeys and peafowl too, which will only bond with each other and can be dangerous to / in danger from chickens if kept in the same enclosure because all birds are fundamentally mindless killer-consumers that will murder anything that bleeds). so far in my experience mature guinea fowl are no more aggressive than mature chickens and are probably actually less so. the only reason they're not as common on small farms is because they make bizarre loud noises like a rusty gate being slammed and because if they're not carefully acclimatised to the henhouse they'll disappear into the wild first chance they get, and also because some people would say they're fugly when they grow up

i don't agree though

and the keets are definitely the cutest thing ever to have come out of an egg.

they're as soft as they look

these two will grow up to look exactly the same as those adults up there, with identical colour and markings (called lavender and pearl)

these are the best shots i've managed to get of baby bird eye colour. birds are born with bluish-greenish eyes just like everything else!

when the brown ones get old enough to outrun a goon (so about a week old) and take off into the paddock they're impossible to find. my jack russell tracks them down and then freezes on the spot watching them with hungry eyes until i come and pick them up. he just taught himself to do that, i had no input, but it's been very useful

that's a tiny, tiny wing

this one looks exactly like a young japanese quail. the brown ones with striped heads grow up to be pearl (dark brown or black with white spots) and the ones with white masks become piebald

i tied a tuft of chicken feathers together because chicks in a brooder get upset if they don't have something to snuggle up to. they don't die or anything, they just squeak like crazy for the first few days, especially at night. anyway that's their surrogate mother and i figured out after the escape that they were much happier if i put it on the grass for them to chill out under.

husbandry tip: for the first few days, check the newborns' bums regularly! that bit of dried poo on the brown keet's anal opening could easily clog the rectum and cause a fatal waste build-up if it was allowed to stay there for too long. (i removed it after taking the photo, obviously)

interlude

plotting something

the piebald one escaped under the air conditioning unit straight after i took these photos and it took me about twenty minutes to pester it into an open space and then sweep it out like a bit of dandelion fluff, it was very upset but then it went to sleep in my hands so i think we're good

before making a break for it, it had a nap to gather its strength

the fugitive after recapture. holding them like this looks brutal but i find they calm down a lot quicker if gentle pressure is applied from all sides at once, like most baby animals, and it also pins their wings and legs so they can't hurt themselves

thank you for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fuzz Feets posted:

Thanks for sharing they are absolutely adorable and it brings back memories of the years I lived in Africa as a child. If you don't mind me asking, why do they need a substitute mom to snuggle up to, don't they have the real thing?
my actual chicken chicks are mostly naturally hatched and have mums to brood them, but unfortunately neither guinea fowl nor quail are particularly good parents so it saves a lot of trouble and heartache just to incubate and brood the eggs myself. japanese quail very rarely go broody (i'm working on trying to create a perfect enclosure where mine will, but not quite there yet) and guinea fowl tend to abandon their keets for hours at a time, which is ok in their natural climate but where i'm living it gets too cold and i've found out the hard way that keets are extremely sensitive to cold and damp, much moreso than chickens. watching birds rear young is fascinating though and i'd love to be able to get all my species to a point where they can do it all naturally.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

willus posted:

how are the keets
keets

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
sorry, forgot to check the thread for a few days!

anyway the keets went through their ugly feathering stage and now have quite a bit of their adult plumage. they are getting into the gangly teens. yesterday they were allowed to forage for the first time and spent all day running around the paddock whistling at each other. they're starting to develop the hunched guinea fowl shape, they remind me a bit of old widows. as they get older they start to chill out a bit, which is good because i can't catch them and instead have to herd them toward wherever i want them to go; younger keets just scatter in a panic but my flock sort of jostle calmly along and can be directed. the important thing is that they're still completely ridiculous and will remain so for the rest of their lives

you can see a bit of the pearling starting to develop on this one. it leaves the tiniest, most delicate little spotted feathers lying around, they're delightful

the crew spend the mornings sunbathing around the verandah and then as the day gets warmer they migrate out to the field

i have an extremely intense little dog

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
they're about a month old

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the grown guineas are about... four months old i think? they'll look like that in miniature in another six weeks or so. the head is always the last part to lose the downy baby feathers so they'll remain fluffy-faced darlings right up until suddenly all their head fluff falls out and they turn into alien vultures

i don't eat them yet but apparently they're delicious! i'm going to see what their eggs taste like (guinea fowl eggs are about 2/3 the size of a chicken egg and they're mostly yolk with very little white, similar to quail eggs) and until then i'm using them mostly as organic pest control. they scratch less than chickens do, preferring to dig with their excellent beaks, and are mostly insectivorous (compared to chickens which eat everything) so they do comparably very little damage to plants and soil. our orchard gets decimated by fruit fly every year and most of the insecticides available are harmful to delicate australian finches so i'm eager to explore alternatives, and if they turn out to be as good at eating grubs as i've been told i can start selling them to farms and wineries around the area

when i started raising birds i was gung ho about eating them but it's turned out to be a bit of a stumbling block for me. i'm fine with killing and prepping them but when it comes to actually eating their flesh i get kind of fluttery

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
all my chickens and guineas are sweet perfect angels!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

keets

keet meet

keets

keets

mighty eagle

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Tamarillo posted:

My uncle used to keep guinea fowl and they were cool until they all decided to make that god awful shrill holler they make at all hours all of the time.

I like that I can look at the cuteness of yours without having to deal with associated bird yelling.
i love that sound! my grown guineas (whom i think are both male) sound like laughing decrepit robots when they go off. NYEENK YEENK YEENK YEENK

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:siren: two keets went for a swim :siren:

if you're wondering, no, keets can't swim. luckily my mother happened to come along as they were swimming in circles like rubbish ducks and she fished them out with a net. both were drenched and hysterical. i got into bed with them under my shirt until they'd dried out and stopped shivering, and now they're both asleep on my lap wrapped in a towel. disaster has hopefully been averted - they recovered quickly enough that i don't think they gulped down too much chlorinated pool water, and i'll keep them with me tonight and put them back with their family tomorrow

shabbat shalom everyone

e: haha i even had a photo of the culprits

it was these two idiots, the pearl and the masked bandit

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

The Narrator posted:

keets just don't want to live, huh.
keets are actually okay, but quail chicks are unbelievably intent on killing themselves to the point where if there's water more than a millimetre deep it's guaranteed at least one will drown in it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:siren: the keets survived :siren:

they're now back to their usual sparkly-eyed fool selves

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the keets went marching bravely out into the field yesterday and only four came back :( i'm shattered. at least i've still got four i guess

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i don't think there are any trees low enough for them at their current flying skill - the land around here is very heavily cleared and i've sussed out every shrub with a branch less than two metres from the ground :( i'm hoping they've found some vegetation to nest in too, we don't slash the paddock often because we don't have any large stock and there's a big population of native quails and finches that like long grass. i've had keets escape and turn up the next morning totally fine before, which i was hoping would happen this time too. they may be waiting for me when i get home from work. fingers crossed.

tracking them down by listening for them is always fun, they hold such musical little conversations with each other

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i've given up on the lost keets. :( i can't imagine they'd survive two nights out in torrential rain. i just don't understand how something could have got five at once. we have hawks and eagles but they couldn't possibly get more than two at a time, keets run so fast, and the other poultry lose their poo poo if anything like a fox or dog comes onto the property so surely i would have heard it. there are no sad little tufts of feathers like i find when a quail gets taken, either. this is really depressing, especially as the two that my mother saved from drowning were among the group that went missing.

at least i still have four left. the next batch will be raised alongside chickens - that's what i did with the first hatching, and those keets always returned back to the chook shed with their little flock at the end of the day

sorry to bring the thread down. i'll be buying some more eggs soon and the madness will start again

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i plan to raise these ones with some chicks (mum wants some more araucanas :3:) because that's what i did with the last brood and those keets were good at following their little friends home at the end of the day. all my mature hens are currently trailing little broods of real chickens and i lost my two broodiest in a fox attack two weeks ago so unfortunately i don't know when the next will start sitting

i really do apologise for this feelgood thread running into the ditch but that is the farming life and i've learnt many valuable lessons. i will never lose another precious keet. not one! i will have hundreds of guinea fowl

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

if any of you have a question that can be summed up as "should i get keets" then the answer is yes you should get keets, they're delightful. just a few suggestions:

1) get guinea fowl eggs and incubate them if you can, because then you get newborn keets and they're the cutest, and more importantly because that means they always think of your property as home. whatever container you use as a brooder box you can just put in your coop for a few days once they're off the heat and they'll go back to it at night once you let them out to run around. hypothetically. it works with my keets but some keets are stupider/smarter and will never see the box as their house no matter how long they spend locked in it. also if you raise chicken chicks and keets together, they form a flock and when the chickens naturally come home in the evenings the keets follow them

2) if you get older keets, don't let them roam for at least a week after you bring them home. they do develop a homing instinct eventually but for the first few days they yearn for the wilderness until they figure out where the food comes from. always feed them in the coop at first.

3) i've never had a problem with any chicks eating pine shavings but i'd give the keets a week to figure out what's food and what's not

4) ausrotten, your keets are all going to stay more or less the same colour except for the brown ones with stripy heads - that's the original wild colour and they grow up pearl (black with white spots and blue heads). some of them might get lighter or darker but they won't change dramatically. i'm really interested to see what the little white one with the brown streak looks like! they are a beautiful little cluster

5) don't get keets in winter unless you have a very well-insulated or heated barn, even if they're old enough not to need a brooder. i bought seventeen (!!) recently and the first time it rained they all went out and stood in it like a pack of idiots, i had to do a dramatic rescue and lost five from hypothermia because they were wet in addition to being cold, which is something they don't deal with. luckily my quail shed was set up fairly well already so i was able to seal it off and fill it with straw and the remaining twelve keets are doing fine. they and the quails seem to be getting along well which is pretty cute. i'll be moving them back out soon when they're better able to cope with the cold but just keep it in mind, they can and will kill themselves in any way possible

my surviving three from the last brood (two piebalds and a lavender) are doing well and have graduated to the big chook roosts. if you can't see the lavender one, look closely at the stripy hen on the lefthand side:

keets!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

lol these things are like the ugly duckling in reverse

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Ausrotten posted:

unfortunately the entire batch died over the course of three days :( The feed store we got them from said other people were having problems as well, so they refunded us on 6 and gave us the four the had left but still it really loving sucked. Our four new keets are strong and healthy tho :unsmith:
drat :( random brood deaths are the worst. i hope your new ones flourish and fulfill their hideous birthright

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Hi one of my keets is a retarded baby with a hosed up leg and no matter how many times I try to splint his gross little twig leg so the tendon will stay right, it just wildly flails around and he runs around fine on it so gently caress it, he'll probably die getting trampled but for now his name is Bendy Straw.
this is good, i wish him all the best

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Ausrotten posted:

I've had em about a week and so far they're doing great and making my life miserable by peeping wildly at all hours :3:
keet! keet! keet! keet! keet! keet! keet! KEET KEET KEET KEET keet keet KEET

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
they're so cute

they seem to have more melodic voices than my other birds, listening to them trill and burble contentedly to each other is nice. i often go into their shed and just chill with them and the quail

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Lynza posted:

Thanks, jerks. Now I need to get keets next year. :mad:

i'm honoured to be the keet ambassador

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 27, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Hi one of my keets is a retarded baby with a hosed up leg and no matter how many times I try to splint his gross little twig leg so the tendon will stay right, it just wildly flails around and he runs around fine on it so gently caress it, he'll probably die getting trampled but for now his name is Bendy Straw.
updates please

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
allow m cdescirbe a kwet.. little bald tea. rear end weird hjair feathers/ gets on the rofo then forgets it can fly. peepi pree! peepy pree!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
NYANK

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
adore their selves

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i kiss theim on theiy lips

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

wild keet

you make my heart bleat

you make everything

?

???

wild keet

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:neckbeard: looks like these ones are thriving!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Shadowlz posted:

The only thing you need to know about guinea fowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_B2lMEyBsk&t=13s
the voice of angels

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

these are the same beautiful babies that were in the very first post. how did this happen? why is life so cruel? nobody knows, anyway these three fools are currently roosting in a tree because they're pissed off about goats. (it's a very tall tree and it's not the first time they've just randomly decided to roost up there so they should be fine.) as they're technically no longer keets but are now becalmed in a magnificent adulthood i'll let this thread lapse for a while... but probably not for too long because we're coming back into guinea fowl breeding season :getin:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that's weird! as far as i know if they were going to hurt the keets they'd have done it already so all you should have to worry about is disease - just keep the keets wormed and up to date on their coccio medication and they should be fine, they may grow up thinking that they're turkeys but it's a good way to be.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lmao ok just one more thing. guinea fowl hunt in formation, they line up horizontally and parade across the field eating everything in sight. it's the weirdest thing to see slowly approaching you and today they were kind enough to do it in the clear so i could get a good photo

it's going to be terrifying when they're all fully grown

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

i wonder what could be inside that weird pointy egg!

the incubator is loaded up and ready to go, see you all in a few weeks :toot:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

WrenP-Complete posted:

Your name is back?!
shh don't reveal my secret

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i have been hampered by a hosed-up incubator but am honoured to announce the arrival of three new keets into the world! these brave warriors aren't quite ready for photos yet as they're under the brooder box bonding with some chickens of similar age and recovering from the ordeal of transforming from a squeaky egg into a real live bird, but hopefully i'll be able to do an update some time today. they're all different colours so that's exciting and it means i can assign names and personalities and grieve for each one as an individual when they inevitably get snatched by a quoll or drown in the pool

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

queepy chees itt

i ended up with five keets, which is much better than i was expecting! three are pearl, one piebald and one lavender. now i must keep them alive until adulthood. i also have about a dozen new eggs ready to go into the incubator as soon as i confirm that it's working properly now, so mark my words you haven't heard the end of me

*mwah!*

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 24, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the keets' brooder-mates include one older plymouth rock hen chick with a broken foot, she's about twelve weeks old (so close to the size of a grown bantam chicken as adult plyms are huge) and docile as anything so the keets and younger chicks think she's their mother. they tuck themselves under her wings and snuggle up under her breast and she just accepts it. when she eats they all flock around and beg. it's super cute! the first time i saw her with her wing all out of place i thought she had an injury, but then she shifted position slightly and this tiny striped blue head popped out of her armpit to peer at me

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

WrenP-Complete posted:

KEET KEET KEET

TEEK TEEK TEEK
it's hard to get photos of the snuggling because as soon as they see me they assume they're getting fed and start scooting around at dangerous speeds :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
gah i lost another keet. i am now down to three.

warning to anyone contemplating guinea fowl, they're unreasonably cute and the adults are super strong but the keets are suicidal cotton balls and they die if you stare at them too hard. this has been a particularly frail brood because of the wildly fluctuating incubator temperature which i think causes birth defects - hopefully the next lot will be more robust

quail are even worse, they're basically born dead and have to be kept animate through dark magic

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 26, 2016

• Locked thread