Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I know some great fart jokes if Lowtax wants to write me a paycheck. Some of them involve the word 'poop.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Asterios posted:

What low effort throwaways? I honestly don't get this criticism. If anything, graphical content takes more time to create than prose-only content.

It's easy to go "hurr hurr u made six JPGs cant believe LOWTAX gave u MY TENBUX" but it can be harder to write & design graphic one-liners than a five hundred word article. That's like judging how good a painting is based on the size of the canvas. It's dumb.

Something else you might not realize: graphical content performs a lot better, because people like retweeting and sharing graphic-driven comedy.

See, I both agree and disagree with this. I do understand that getting the composition of graphical content can be difficult and time consuming, and it's incredibly easy to execute it incorrectly, so I know the time and consideration that can go into that.

But at the same time, I don't exactly agree that it is 100% what you've done with previous articles. Using the tombstone article as an example, I find it hard to imagine there was much composition work once you had the initial file set up correctly from the first article. It feels like afterwards it would just coming up with the jokes for it, none of which are really interconnected beyond 'these are inappropriate for a tombstone.' I mean, even though Livestock's dog classifieds are pretty simple, what with just being text blocked off to look like a part of a newspaper classifieds section, it feels like higher effort due to the textual content as well.

The issue I have, and I think others have, is that your articles are mostly just lists. They're a style of humor the site really hasn't used in such an obvious fashion, and they're generally seen as weak content-wise. The burlesque article is the worst offender, but the other articles people are voicing dislike for break down to 'this is a list of funny/unexpected stuff' slapped onto pictures. The Trump articles are pretty funny, but most people are gonna see it as just text slapped on a jpeg, but it's funny because you have a setup and a punchline that isn't just the headline to the article followed by rattling off the punchlines.

I get that that's pretty much how content has gone these days, and since it's part of a business the front page should follow trends to stay relevant (dead gay forums not withstanding), but that doesn't mean it's gonna click with everyone. It's a modern format on a site that has poo poo all over places like Cracked and College Humor for the same style of humor. We're all grumpy old curmudgeons who can't deal with the newfangled jokes these dang kids like.

• Locked thread