Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I recently started skiing again after a 10 year break and was wondering if anyone had and suggestions for places in California, specifically areas that are within 2-4 hours of central California. I went to Badger Pass in Yosemite National Park several times during this winter and really enjoyed it, the view was insane and the paths were reasonable for a intermediate skiier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Grody posted:

I recently started skiing again after a 10 year break and was wondering if anyone had and suggestions for places in California, specifically areas that are within 2-4 hours of central California. I went to Badger Pass in Yosemite National Park several times during this winter and really enjoyed it, the view was insane and the paths were reasonable for a intermediate skiier.

Mammoth is really good, was there 9 days ago and they had an amazing powder day while I was there as well as a spring skiing day the day before.

Lake Tahoe is probably a bit closer. I've heard from NorCal friends that you want North Tahoe resorts (like Northstar et al) if you want less of a tourist experience and the South Tahoe resorts if you'd prefer better views but more newbies.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Here is an entire thread full of goons dedicated to skiing and snowboarding.

You will find a lot of people there happy to answer any skiing inquiries you might have.

To try to answer your question though, the smaller places like Badger, China Peak, Dodge Ridge, etc on the west side of the central Sierras are going to be your closest options. They are generally smaller, get less snow, and have less variety of challenging terrain than more major resorts. After that is Tahoe, which has a wide variety of areas and terrain.

Mammoth is fantastic but a bit further because all the passes are closed during the winter so you have to drive all the way around either up through Tahoe or down to basically Bakersfield.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 20, 2016

• Locked thread