Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The unfortunately titled browser game, Race War Kingdoms, has been around a very long time. It's longevity is somewhat of a mystery. On the surface, it is loving terrible. One clicks, for some reason, and on occasion a number increases somewhere. Eventually said number (among other things) is so great that one may click and find the creature they killed was no creature at all. Instead, they have killed their last remaining rival in the monthly PVP tournament for a prize of $100 worth of in game rewards.

Ultimately it is a Machiavellian game of power, intrigue deception and war. The RPG elements are bland as they come. The kingdom aspect, however, is a whole different barrel of biscuits.

Races

There are a number of races to choose, each having little to no bearing on the final nature of your character. Some make early game life considerably easier, however. More on that later.

Regardless of your race, the equipment you choose determines your class. You can interchange between classes at any time.

The ogre for example makes an excellent choice for a Fighter or a Vampire.

The solon is the only sensible choice for a spell caster.

Likewise, the Mesmer is by far the best choice for an Archer.

Initially, the point of levelling is to kill beasts. Beasts are randomly spawning creatures with potentially extremely valuable drops. Later PVP success in the monthly tournament is the driving force for character progression. But enough about the RaceWar. On to the WarKingdoms.

Kingdoms

The world of RWK is divided into 5 planes. Each a 300x300 grid of kingdoms. Each player may own as many of these as they wish, however any they own over 1000 are subject to exponential corruption. This corruption decreases the amount of game gold they may embezzle from each kingdom per day.

Each kingdom comprises of a number of assets, including armies, fortifications and runes and a treasury. Armies, forts and runes each provide a role in the defence of a kingdom. Armies may be also used to attack neighbouring kingdoms. Treasury is simply a gold store, which accumulates interest every hour. Extracting that gold is a science, converting it to power is an art. Taking that power from others to enhance your own is the essence of the game. Anywhere there is power there is politics and maintaining very real diplomatic relations with other players for good or ill will be key to success.

There are ample opportunities for intrigue, and the intelligent player will exploit the weaknesses of others for a variety of reasons. Simple extortion could be achieved by spiking well defended kingdoms into the heart of anothers kingdom complex and demanding money or powerful relics for their removal, for example. Otherwise deeper, more calculated power play manoeuvres like goading a powerful ally into a losing war with a rival simply to turncoat and flatten the winner in order to emerge dominant are how empires are crushed and built. It is a game of power and patience.

Getting started

Vampires are easily the best choice to start off with, and ogres are the best race to do this. Switching later is trivial so I highly recommend this. Archers, conversely are the worst choice. They are incredibly slow until you have very expensive arrows.

Vampires do damage directly with relics. Relic damage is usually based on your durability. Ogres get the most durability per level so this translates to fastest progression. Put ALL of your stat trains into Dur.

After killing a few Magicians Apprentices, the very first thing you want to buy is a 'rapid' spell. These reduce your attack delay by 50% resulting in much faster progression.
After that keep upgrading your weapon (I recommend using two Precise weapons) and hitting harder creatures until you have 10k gold.

The relics that do damage that are of interest to new players are Touch of the Damned and Blood Pinch. Blood Pinch is particularly useful as this is the one that actually kills. Buy this one first. Equip it in slot 6 and you will find the first few monsters die without getting a hit in. This is your goal as a vampire. To kill the hardest thing you can with just relic damage.

As soon as you have your next 10k gold, buy a Touch of the Damned. Place this in relic slot 1.

For more details, there is an excellent new player guide available here

If you are masochistic enough to play this...

RWK is extremely niche. Character upgrades are permanent, no monthly subscriptions or anything like that. Every upgrade is extremely achievable without paying real money with time and a little effort, however forking out for a couple on your first character will shorten the time immensely. I don't know of other goons playing this, or that have played this. And to be fair, why should I. The new player experience couldn't be worse, you can't even ask for help till level 1. Level 1 takes ages and you can't trade till level 10. To top it off, all you really do is click. But whatever. Never has there been clicking this vicious and meaningful before nor since.

You may find me on server two as The Jiggery.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

is this by the fetus-pult people?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Unironically yes.

e: That was not a pleasant google. I'd not heard that term before!

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 13, 2016

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

A number of kingdom embezzling bots were banned yesterday. It is a very good time to get started as the players using them will all be looking for new players to employ.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I think you're gonna struggle to get people to play a game that literally sounds like it's put out by Stormfront. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

You're right. There is probably a reason 'African-American' isn't a playable race. You can be a token blue guy though. It would probably appeal most to Eve players or whatever who enjoy the meta but can't be hosed actually logging in. I'm enjoying myself any ways.

• Locked thread