Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

So I write and record songs. On this one I wanted something strange and evocative-sounding to add at the end. I used a segment of a World War II era Paris radio broadcast because I liked the way it sounded but i have no idea what's being said. Before I publish it on bandcamp or whatever I thought I should find out. Can anyone who knows french clue me in?

https://soundcloud.com/mike-dole/low-stair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't quite make out everything, but it basically says "carry on as usual in spite of [something] (armed forces, maybe?)".

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

beatlegs posted:

So I write and record songs. On this one I wanted something strange and evocative-sounding to add at the end. I used a segment of a World War II era Paris radio broadcast because I liked the way it sounded but i have no idea what's being said. Before I publish it on bandcamp or whatever I thought I should find out. Can anyone who knows french clue me in?

https://soundcloud.com/mike-dole/low-stair

The part I can make out is "...en aucun cas diminuer votre mobilité." Googling this led me to http://beaucoudray.free.fr/glieres001.htm,. You can search Google Books for that quote too, which will get you the book that is apparently reproduced on that website. This excerpt appears to be part of a radio broadcast by over "Radio Londres," the French-language propaganda broadcast service from London, on February 7, 1944. This particular portion is for the Maquis of Glières. The whole paragraph says:

Écoutez bien, écoutez bien les consignes fraternelles que nous vous adressons, en plein accord avec les autorités alliées. La mobilité dans le maquis est un élément essentiel de la lutte. L'augmentation des effectifs armés est certes plus que jamais souhaitée, mais elle ne doit en aucun cas diminuer votre mobilité.

My French is rusty but it basically says: "Listen carefully to the brotherly instructions we are giving you, which are in full agreement with the Allied authorities. The mobility of the Maquis is an essential element of the fight. Adding armed effectives is certainly desirable, more than ever, but it must never diminish your mobility."

From reading a bit of context from the book, it looks like the idea was to discourage the idea of a general insurrection which would have been massacred, and remind the Maquis to keep things small-scale. Someone with better French may be able to read more of the context and explain more.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Thanks for the effort. I was hoping the audible segment would somehow fit with the theme of the song, but leaving it a mystery is good too. :)

• Locked thread