Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

why is godzilla just standing about not doing anything

He doesn't seem very agile at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I appreciate that the movie isn't going to be shy about showing Kong and the various creatures, but that doesn't mean they have to show it all in the trailer. I'm definitely going to tell anyone I know who's interested in the movie not to watch the trailer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really enjoy Jackson's Kong, I appreciate the effort he went to with the period setting, it makes the slower first half much more watchable than it may have been otherwise. I like all of the performances, and once things kick off the movie definitely gains momentum and carries it through to the end.

Maybe its better as a home viewing experience than in the theatre. At home I'm less likely to be squirming in my seat wondering when the movie is going to be over.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

I'm starting to notice this steady undercurrent where for some reason Edwards is turning into a weird divisive figure like Zach Synder is among a certain segment of film nerds.

Edwards got the gig on Godzilla based on the modest success of one low-budget film that really wasn't very well known, and then Godzilla turned out to be a very divisive film. Rogue One was well received, but not such a unanimous hit that its going to shut people up who were already saying that he's an overrated director who's out of his league.

I'm not saying I agree with any of that but I can see where its coming from. I don't think Edward's reputation as a filmmaker is really set in stone yet, his next few films will really be what decides that, they'll determine whether he ends up as a footnote director or someone pay attention to for the next decade+

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 24, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
When the hell am I going to be able to see this movie? This is some bullshit, I never expected to have to wait like an entire year, jeez.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, as someone who thought Godzilla 14 was good enough to own on blu ray, and also just bought Kong on day 1, is Shin Godzilla something I should definitely be grabbing right away as a blind-buy? I mean, is there any way a giant monster movie fan would be disappointed by it? Anything I should be warned about before I spend the $25?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea ok, message received. I only bring up Godzilla 14 as like a baseline of quality where anything at the same level or better would definitely be a day-1 buy for me. I thought Kong was better, for example.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing

Go into it expecting a movie closer to 1954 and Return of Godzilla 1984.

Those are the only ones that are comparable. Shin is a purely stand alone Godzilla only affair.

Shin and 1984 are actually weird mirrors of one another. They deal with very similar themes in very different ways but are equally as good.

Yea, I've done a good job of staying unspoiled on the movie but I was aware that this is more of a solo Godzilla movie and not an all-out monsterfest.

I just rewatched the original last month so I'm primed for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I did have this vague sense that I was missing something by not being able to catch all of those job titles that kept coming up on the screen but when I rewatch I'll pay extra attention to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seriously what the gently caress is going on with that tail. Is there any clue in the movie as to what the hell all that is?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

The idea is basically, this Godzilla responds to what is defeating it.

So when the thing that is defeating it is a council of people, a collective, it decides to become a collective.

Is there anyone in the movie who actually verbalizes that theory though? I mean I get that he's evolving to meet the challenges of the environment he finds himself in, but that he would specifically evolve into the thing that's defeating him is more of an interpretation than something I remember being actually spelled out. Did I just miss a line of dialogue or something?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FeastForCows posted:

So my friend watched this yesterday and said you only see Godzilla for about 5% of the movie. How much is he exaggerating?

Big exaggeration, your friend is probably talking about how there are a few gaps of maybe 15-20 minutes where we're in between Godzilla attacks and the government is trying to plan for the next one. But all in all Godzilla gets plenty of screen-time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I was gonna say, it definitely seemed like Shin had more Godzilla in it than '14 did. About double sounds right to me.

Kinda deceptive though because Godzilla 14 has a lot of MUTO action, which if you include that probably brings the two movies to about the same number.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

How many of the scenes in Shin were of him just being frozen, or his secondary forms?

There's really only a few quick shots of him frozen, I doubt that is much of a factor. And I think you have to include all of his forms, I mean that's such a huge part of what makes the movie great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kong really doesn't ever attack the humans in Skull Island unless they are a direct threat to him or the island. He only takes out the choppers at the beginning because they are dropping bombs and Kong is worried they'll wake up the crawlers.

And he obviously let Reilly's character and the Japanese pilot live in the prologue scene, he's got them dead to rights and they ended up surviving so he must have decided they were no threat to him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't really enjoy Part 1. Animated Godzilla should have no reason to skimp on the Godzilla action, hopefully Part 2 gets crazier.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rewatched Godzilla '14 the other night and was pretty surprised to see Sally Hawkins in a somewhat significant role(well, not really but she has some pretty important lines!). I love when an actor/actress has a breakout performance and then you go back and notice that they'd been hanging around for years in smaller roles that you just didn't remember.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always took it as the MUTOs having hunted and killed one of Godzilla's relatives, which makes the movie kind of like a revenge story. He's been waiting for them to hatch so he can kill them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They kill off the best character in the movie early on and you're stuck with one of the most boring leads ever.

I do agree that killing off Cranston was a mistake, even if I'm not one of those people who had a problem with Taylor-Johnson, I thought he was fine. But it works better when he has Cranston's intensity to offset his low-key personality, it was a good mix in those early scenes when they're tracking the MUTO signal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

he is not a good actor I'm sorry

He was nominated for some pretty big awards for Nocturnal Animals. I mean, he's no Daniel Day-Lewis but I don't think he's Jai Courtney or Sam Worthington either.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's certainly not Jai Courtney, because Jai was at least fun to watch in Suicide Squad, something boring military man in G14 is 100% not.

He has like 3 lines in Suicide Squad. As a leading man he's the blandest most forgettable protagonist I've ever seen(in multiple films).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not that I have the willpower to resist watching one, but Godzilla is one of those movies where I'd rather just not see a trailer at all. Every frame of Big G on screen is precious and I'd rather not spoil any of it in advance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

The part at the beginning of Godzilla 14 when they're inside the massive dead creature is so good. I really appreciated that the film didn't waste a lot of time with folks being skeptical of stuff and just opens up with like yep, there's some fuckin' huge monsters.

I think the way they've created this "cinematic universe" or whatever with the Monarch through-line in Godzilla and Skull Island has been really good. I love government conspiracy stuff like that, doubly so if the story involves them hiding some awesome poo poo like giant monsters.

CelticPredator posted:

Wasn’t it a Godzilla?

Seems so, it could even be interpreted as an actual direct relative of Godzilla, making the movie a revenge story.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

You know what? I actually don't mind the actually plausible fan theory that Goji is Bryan Cranston's vengeful spirit given flesh. Like, his entire motivation is anger and revenge to begin with, and then after the Muto male kills him, Godzilla suddenly appears in the flesh finally, with one goal-destroy the Mutos. I mean, it's not any weirder than GMK's WW2 ghost gestalt Godzilla.

I think a better way to look at it is that the dead creature found with the MUTO cocoon at the beginning is Godzilla's mate, thereby giving him and Cranston the same exact quest of revenge and linking them thematically.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

It makes sense, since that movie's entirely why the MonsterVerse even exists.

Well I was thinking we might get a solo sequel for each of them, but yea I don't think anyone was expecting a full cinematic universe ala Marvel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

Why is king ghidorah getting a solo movie when he/shes a bad guy. Who would the antagonist even be? Space godzilla?

Maybe ghidorah is the antagonist and it's just a regular people vs. kaiju film?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Dunno, all that's been established so far is that Ghidorah was frozen under the ice in Antarctica and scared the bajeezus out of the Monarch research team that found him.

What was this from? A post-credits sequence or something?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm actually not that big a fan of Shin's final form but his tadpole/amphibious stage is loving terrifying.
His final form just lacks mobility, which you think he'd have more of when you realize a lot of his extra bulk was applied via CGI in post. He just doesn't move enough to feel real to me, which was not a problem his tadpole form had.

I think it works well because of how Godzilla is presented in the movie as this completely baffling life form that is kind of alive and not alive at the same time. It doesn't really fall into the definition our established science has for "life", he's more like the embodiment of entropy in vaguely lizard form.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the overall look of the MUTOs but I do agree they could've used a little splash of color. Not anything too vivid, just something to at least mix up the color palette a little bit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even Pacific Rim of all movies ended up going with a fairly generic one-note design for the kaiju. I suppose the idea there was that the jaeger's were supposed to be the real draw and more colorful kaiju would've made for too much flashing on the screen at once.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So in other words it's an anime.

Yea that was my problem with it, I went in hoping for a Godzilla movie done in an anime style, instead it was an anime that happened to feature Godzilla.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Godzilla vs. the MUTOs was just on the edge of becoming boring as it is, I think the movie has precisely the right amount of monster fights. We basically got to see everything a giant lizard with atomic breath and a giant bug can do to each other, not sure where else that fight could've gone that wouldn't have just been more of the same.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

You say this as though Kong Skull Island didn't exist or wasn't boss as gently caress.

Skull Island wasn't great because of the monster scenes, although those are very good. It's great because it's extremely colorful, very well shot, and well written. It has a solid cast of likeable characters, unlike Godzilla '14. It has a much better foundation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

I am sick to loving death of people making GBS threads on Aaron Taylor-Johnson in the film. He's perfectly fine in the role.

I will repeat this till the end of time each time some idiot brings it up.

He was fine, but when you combine his mere adequacy with the vacuum left by Cranston's early exit, he ends up looking bad in the comparison. Had he been able to work with Cranston throughout the movie and play off him, it would've worked a hell of a lot better.

Like, I don't think Hiddelston is really much better in Skull Island but he's got a whole cast around him to fill in the gaps.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Like what would you change? What should he have done in each of his situations?

Cranston dead so what does this character do to make him better in peoples eyes? Spout one liners? Climb on Godzillas shoulders with guns?

Tell me.

I don't think anything could've been done specifically with Ford, because Taylor-Johnson isn't the kind of leading man who can do it all by himself. The answer would've been to give him other people to work with where he could play to his strengths without his weakness being as apparent as the are in the movie. Instead once Cranston dies it's basically just Ford going from place to place meeting random mooks who barely have any lines. It's all on Taylor-Johnsons shoulders and he's just not quite up to it(few actors are).

Peanut President posted:

holy moly will you guys chill

Chill about what? Seems like a perfectly friendly conversation to me. Go check out what's going on in the Star Wars thread for some people that need to chill.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Taylor-Johnson can act, he's proved that in Nocturnal Animals, but he's just not the effortlessly charismatic leading man that G'14 seemed to be written for.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

One thing that's bugged me about Godzilla movies is that the cities are always back to normal in the ones that are direct sequels. I can't imagine it'll take a decade or so for whatever cities get destroyed in this Godzilla to recover. It'll be neat to see the consequences of this movie play into Godzilla vs KIng Kong. Sorta how BvS addresses the direct aftermath of a world with a Superman.

That's one thing I really liked about Pacific Rim 2 and Independence Day Resurgence. Society post-invasion is shown to be forever altered in some pretty fun and interesting ways.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Too bad both of those movies were loving terrible

Not gonna argue there, but there were aspects of them I enjoyed. Both had solid world-building.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

You know it’s bad when the indestructible charm of John Boyega can’t save your movie.

I'd love to see a version of the first film just with Boyega substituted for Hunnam in the lead role. Not that Hunnam was particularly bad, but I do think he was a bit of a weak link and Boyega would've brought a lot more charm to the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

This, i'm 70% sure, is gonna be a giant scorpion or something

Looks like a talon from a wing, so probably Rodan.

Edit: On second look, no it's not a wing. The cascading dirt made it look like a wing at first.