Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I would assume that it's mostly a suit/puppet with CG touchups, mostly because CG in Japanese movies is usually pretty lowbudget.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Actually Aaron Taylor Johnson was perfectly serviceable as a army guy with a distant, hosed up dad who just returned from a army mission being shell shocked that there is a 100-story monster running around the globe chasing 2 other monsters the size of skyscrapers.

He was pretty good but I think everyone was expecting Cranston to be the main character.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Dylazodelan posted:

G'14 put on a clinic in terms of misleading marketing. The very first trailer, with Godzilla rising out of the rubble and Oppenheimer doing his "I am death" speech, prepared me to see a film where Godzilla was death incarnate and rearing to tear humanity a new one. Instead, he was pretty chill and only wrecked people and stuff when it was explicitly in his way (the shot with him being flanked by Navy ships was cool, but I feel like that wouldn't have flown with the Godzilla we were shown in the trailer).

There were a lot of shots of Godzilla in the trailers that were either Godzilla fighting a MUTO or just a MUTO in the film.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Watch it again. The teaser was, secretly, a sequel to the film - showing that Godzilla continues to save the world from monsters, after the MUTO attacks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Especially since the early trailer teased a dead Kaiju which never appeared in the actual film:

A giant centipede kaiju would be pretty rad though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

The allusions don't necessarily need to be instant killers. Pollution doesn't instantly kill people, but that doesn't make it less dangerous.

...if Hedorah was eating pollution, why was it necessary to kill him again?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

PriorMarcus posted:

The weak roar and shakey puppet head at the end are terrible. The rest looks good.

Yeah, it clashes way too much with the rest of the trailer.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah (the Smog Monster)

Probably the best of the Goofyzillas. Godzilla vs Megalon is also good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Hedorah is also really rad just as a monster and I hope it reappears in the near future

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I only eat soylent because if I'm not eating fine lobster I might as well eat nutritional paste cum.

In this metaphor the soylent is the Godzilla parts of Godzilla films?

And the lobster is people talking about Godzilla?

And I guess you eat soylent and lobster at the same time?

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 3, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I hope that the recent return of Hedorah to Godzilla merchandise means that either Shin Godzilla 2 or Good American Godzilla 2 feature Hedorah. FWIW Yoshimitsu Banno was an executive producer on Godzilla 2014.

Anyway, that radioactive breath looks awesome. Much more in line with the sort of wanton, indiscriminate destruction of badguy Godzillas of the past.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

From what I understand, that was, after decades of trying, the only way Banno could get reattached to Godzilla. Previously, Tomoyuki Tanaka, as executive producer on the series, would heavily oversee the films as they were being made. During the early shooting of Hedorah, he had to be hospitalized for several weeks. Banno was all "Don't worry about it, I got this." When Tanaka saw the rocket jet flight scene, his first words were "they've ruined my Godzilla." and Banno was all but blacklisted in the Japanese film industry.

In 2008 he had secured both rights and funding for Godzilla 3D to the MAX, a 50 minute IMAX short that was cancelled in favour of Godzilla 2014. To quote wikipedia,

quote:

Godzilla 3D[edit]
In August 2004, Yoshimitsu Banno, who had directed 1971's Godzilla vs. Hedorah, announced that he had secured the rights from Toho to make a Godzilla IMAX 3D short film at his Advanced Audiovisual Productions (AAP) production company. The film was tentatively titled Godzilla 3D to the Max, and was to be a remake of the Godzilla vs. Hedorah story.[49] In 2005, American Peter Anderson, ASC was added to the project as cinematographer, visual effects supervisor and co-producer.[49] In 2007, American producer Brian Rogers signed on to the project after Peter Anderson introduced him to Banno and AAP producer Kenji Okuhira.[50] In 2007, also through Anderson, Kerner Optical then came on board to develop the technology and to produce the 3-D film [51][52] And with Kerner's backing, in the fall of 2007 the team met with Toho in Tokyo where they re-negotiated their license to allow the release of a feature-length 3-D theatrical production.[53][54] In 2008, Kerner was facing financial troubles that threatened to cancel the production. Rogers, Anderson and the then-proposed director Keith Melton met with Legendary Pictures to get their backing on a 3-D theatrical film.[55] In 2010, it was green-lit by Legendary to go to production.[56] From the AAP production team, Banno and Okuhira would remain on the project as executive producers and Rogers as a producer. In November 2013, Banno stated that he still planned to make a sequel to Godzilla vs. Hedorah.[57]

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

K. Waste posted:

That sounds awesome, though.

Not if you like movies to look good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

K. Waste posted:

It's the same principle as when a Universal Studios ride breaks down while you're on it, the lights go up, and you see the apparatus - that poo poo is often more technically marvelous than the threadbare attempts to disguise it

I don't watch movies in the hopes of seeing how they were made. That's what documentaries are for.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Funny enough, the cities get even worse treatment from the "make fun of you for liking it" crowd, yet they're often a goddamn masterpiece, especially the early ones. Tsubaraya did some AMAZINGLY detailed work at recreating Japanese cities to look exactly like the real thing. Rodan especially has some impressive photo-realistic stuff. The big problem is most of these were in the 60s, when most architecture was just "plain square buildings" for the most part, so it's easy to overlook the detail level. Tsubaraya once got in trouble with the US military, because his aircraft carrier overhead shot (of a model, natch) was close enough to the real deal, that they thought he was actually doing illegal flyovers of their ships for the footage.

I absolutely adore those miniature cities and if I had the space and money I would totally build one myself.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I assume you seen the Malcolm in the Middle HD with booms in the shot and Darkside Dewey and the like.

It's hilarious and I'm glad it exists, mostly because I did not like the show at all.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Swiss Knight posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Canadian theaters have been added to the Funimation Godzilla site. And for the guy who was lamenting the lack of Calgary theaters, both Eau Claire and the far superior Landmark Country Hills are included.

That is way more Candian theatres than I expected.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Bimmi posted:

No, it's because your attitude suggests an impending dumb slapfight over a giant lizard movie and that is not going to happen.

Instead you're just gonna passive-aggressively bitch about how no one agrees with you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Godzilla '14 should have come out of the screen and proposed to me.

Also the MUTOs were cute and reminded me of Snapping Turtles. I hope they appear again sometime.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Been catching up on the thread after seeing the film on the 24th. Excellent movie, I love how weird it was while still feeling like a traditional Godzilla film.
I didn't see this posted upthread, here's Shin's gross tail.

Choco1980 posted:

I dunno, the New Years Eve spot they did with only like a minute to midnight where they had Zilla stop the ball dropping and fling it at the times square gatherers, was pretty great debut timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIUAC03YMlA

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I really want Hedorah to come back in another Godzilla movie. Maybe Shin Godzilla 2

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Dylazodelan posted:

My understanding was it's not a definite that Mothra et. al. show up in Godzilla 2, but that Legendary simply got the permission to use those characters. And gently caress them for not getting Gigan, because Gigan deserves better movies than he got.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I like to imagine that Gigan and Megalon are BFFs and hang out all the time. They bond over their lack of hands and their shared love of smashing things.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
IIRC the fire breath doesn't ignite a whole lot before the beam comes out. The fire just sorta passes over. I'm probably misremembering though.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 15, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Bimmi posted:

I read quite a while back that they'd intended a fairly significant size difference, and would be exploring Kong's "natural advantages" in the eventual face-off, but it all remains to be seen.

Kong having electrical powers confirmed.

Wonder if we'll see Frankenstein or Mechakong?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
The Half-Century War has a good section where Godzilla and Anguirus fight in the middle of Vietnam

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

who wins??

e: oh wait its an actual godzilla thing nvm

What did you think it was

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
They're good gifs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

HannibalBarca posted:

It's missing about 20 minutes worth of footage somehow.

Good work leakers

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

I need to see more Godzilla movies. All I've seen are 54, 98, 14, and Shin

Watch Vs the Smog Monster and Vs Megalon IMHO

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
It complicates things when you also figure in that most kaiju scenes were filmed in slomo so that everything would seem bigger and weightier.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Gheedorah IS Doom. :3:

That is an amazing album though - gonna listen to that set tonight!

It's so loving good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Also this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

he's such a happy boy

Godzilla just wants to show off to his new friends

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I don't think Godzilla ever really did anything I would call a raid

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Hopefully this means the english release isn't far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaa I wanna watch it agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain!

Saaaame