Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

BigglesSWE posted:

Just saw it. First spoiler free reactions: I understand why this isn’t a reviewer darling, and it certainly has flaws. But it is overall more than enough fun. Some parts gave a titan-esque grin on my face.

2014 movie is technically better, certainly in terms of directing, but this one is probably more fun. It’s balls to the walls crazy at times, so what’s not to love?

Just got back from seeing it too and this is pretty much my reaction. Pacing can be a hard thing to get right, especially on a big scale movie like this... it's probably also kind of subjective too in what some people consider too fast, too slow, or just right. To me it just felt a bit too fast... this happens! Then that happens! Then they're here! Then they're there! But that isn't uncommon. The human characters were mostly fine, besides a few bits of cringe. But they at least weren't completely wooden like in G14 (Cranston aside), Dad-man comes close I guess. I kind of wish there was more focus on the monsters though, not in the G14 "just show us them!" way, but maybe a bit more of seeing them being monsters outside of fight scenes. But holy smokes the visuals were incredible. It was balls to the wall and it was fun and I wanted to see giant monsters hitting each other and I got to see giant monsters hitting each other!

Spoilery stuff... the ending seemed to be dropping some maybe not too subtle hints at where "vs Kong" is going. Having the exchange of "im glad he's on our side" followed by "...for now" maybe sets the scene for a big G heel turn? My early guess is seeing all the other monsters suddenly turn up out of nowhere (seriously, they have borrowed GOT's teleportation device) to bow down to Godzilla; and Kong being absent, seems to be setting up a dissension among the ranks thing. Big G gets pissed Kong ain't taking the knee? Power goes to Big G's head? But unless they turn him fully bad then I still see the most likely outcome being a Batman v Superman deal where Kong and Godzilla find out their mother's have the same name via realising they have a common foe. There were hints in his film that tampering with monster DNA was on the cards ... so early guess is an Indominus Rex type deal, like making a Destroyah or another brand new monster or something.

Overall, it didn't disappoint... it had flaws but it was impressive and fun. If certain critics are confused by Emma Russell's motivations then that's insane when the movie clearly explicitly lays them out. So critics who pick at that as being a flaw are ones whose entire piece I'd call into question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Surely the fact you can just knock out and lock up Kong instantly makes Big G the winner.

Also pretty sure people here are on the ball with MechaG framing Godzilla and while fighting Kong that’ll be discovered. Godzilla comes to help Kong out. Godzilla dies during the fight leaving Kong king of the monsters, King Kong, if you will.

Either that or it is the real Godzilla and the reason he’s attacking humanity is that he’s gotten wind of humanity making their own monsters and that’s made him pissed.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Just got back from seeing it in the cinema (so weird, first time in a cinema in over a year and it just felt strange). Non-spoilery stuff: it's my favourite of the monsterverse movies for sure - I did like Skull Island, I had a soft spot for Godzilla14, and thought KOTM had a couple of ok moments (basically Rodan) but was overall a missed opportunity. Reviews weren't wrong: we finally get to see some proper, clear monster fights. And they beat the living gently caress out of each other. I thought the human element was still poo poo, but it was the best of the movies bar Skull Island. Dad from the last movie basically had no reason to be there, he was literally just there so Millie Bobby Brown could be there, so for those who don't like him there's not much worry there. There was really only 1 character that annoyed me, which was the main comic relief kid and even he wasn't as bad as the KOTM comic relief guy. Mostly the human characters were just .. meh. I also really thought it could have done without the Hollow Earth stuff, but eh, a giant Lizard and Monkey punched each other a lot and looked awesome!

Spoilery-stuff It went pretty much as you'd expect: Godzilla and Kong beat on each other a lot until Mecha G turns up and they team up to defeat him. I actually liked how they explained why Godzilla was so pissed - at first they said he was scared that he was being "replaced" by Mecha G, which was dumb. But when the reveal came that the Ghidorah DNA or whatever it was, was basically taking over the Mech G and it was now sentient - it made sense after KOTM. Godzilla sensing somehow that it was Gidorah and hunting/looking for him.

I went in expecting Kong to basically defeat Godzilla, then Kong gets into a battle with Mecha only for G to come back and save the day by sacrificing himself. Expected it to be Kong the last one standing and the King of the Monsters, King Kong. Did not expect Godzilla to basically outright win the fight only to spare Kong's life. I liked that as being on #teamgodzilla. Mecha G absolutely ruining Godzilla's poo poo was cool, but the tag team move team ups between Kong and G were awesome.

As mentioned the Hollow Earth stuff was pretty lame and they could have spent that time better. It was basically all so Kong could get his ancient axe made out of a Godzilla fin. I would have preferred Kong actually legit ripping the fin off of Godzilla and then fashioning the axe himself.

I guess its left open for possible sequels if they are able to do more Godzilla stuff, but certainly left open for more Kong stuff. Normally the sort of "no one wins" ends to these things annoy me the way they both ended up showing respect to each other and going their separate ways. But given we basically got a clear winner in the fight (just without a death) I didn't feel too cheated.

All in all, it was dumb fun and I enjoyed it. The Hong Kong fight was the highlight for me.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 24, 2021

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

well why not posted:

I suspect big chunks were cut off, because there's a pretty famous actor given one line. I suspect there was a military/monarch plot just loving dropped for time. probably a smart move.

Lance Reddick? I almost missed him entirely

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Maybe this has been asked/answered somewhere, and I suspect the answer is going to be "because movie", but why was there daylight/sunlight in the hollow earth core?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Melbourne Australia there's a handful of cinemas which will show it in the first week of December (only a single 6:30pm session per day, lol) but my local IMAX cinema also has a handful of sessions.

E: premium tickets are $49.50 plus booking fee what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

There's an early screening at Melb Central Hoyts on the 21st of Nov by the looks of it

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Just came back from a screening of Minus 1. It's really good, might take some time to digest it but my only initial complaint is a feeling of I wanted more. Maybe more G, more destruction, something but the WW2 era setting really made it feel refreshingly different as I kinda hoped it would.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I definitely understand why Gareth Edwards said he was envious of Minus 1 now. It has the tone that G14 should have had. It had the tone that the first trailers of G14 made it look like it had. I wonder (and maybe this has already been confirmed) if this was actually the tone Edwards wanted, or had, and the studio made changes. The film definitely has a pretty grim tone, but it also has just a few laughs sprinkled in here and there but they didn't beat you over the head with it and they actually fit the moments. They were funny things characters just occasionally said as opposed to someone who is there purely for comic relief. Hollywood really needs to learn how to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I saw a clip on youtube which looked legit, but did it really end with Kong giving Shimo chin scratches and Godzilla going for a nap?

thepokey fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 29, 2024