Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I will lobby for a cinematic return of secret best monster Biollante until the heat death of the universe. It'll never happen because Toho will never forgive that film's failure to make any money, but I can dream.

God, Godzilla vs Biollante is so goddamn good. So very, very 80's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I hope that whenever we see the Legendary take on King Ghidorah he's got something more like the old school eerie cackling roar instead of the "Rodan, but worse" special he's been saddled with since 91.

Actually, I kind of liked his Final Wars hyena grunting, even though I hated basically everything else about his design in that film.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

God loving drat that trailer is the MOTHEREST of fuckers.

Rodan is literally on fire and Ghidorah is like the most ominous thing I've ever seen holy poo poo.

It's amazing how much more excited I feel for stuff like this than I do for like, anything else.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

That ancient civilization in Godzilla vs Megalon seemed pretty culty.

That movie is a weird one.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Really, you should just buy a Spacegodzilla action figure or something instead of watching that movie. It's pretty awful.

But, if you can find the drat thing, absolutely DO watch Godzilla vs Biollante. It's in this weird sweet spot between G84's serious tone and the batshit insanity that is Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. It's loving radddd.

I hope we get revamped Ghidorah and Rodan themes since we're getting ones for the other two.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Godzilla vs The Sea Monster is such a weird movie that I can't help but love. It makes a ton of sense that it was supposed to be a Kong movie right up until they started production. That Mothra song near the end was super-good, too.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Speculation: Every kaiju aside from Godzilla himself dies by the end of the movie. Godzilla heel-turns because he figures we're the ones who let Ghidorah out in the first place and starts wrecking poo poo. The next movie is all about humanity making a hail-mary attempt to get Kong to fight Godzilla before he wipes us from the planet. No third monster comes into play and they just focus on the marquee bout.

Note: I don't want this all that much as I'd rather Godzilla win, but I feel like Hollywood's going to side with the American monster at the end of things (even though Godzilla's cooler). Also it's really hard for me to see Kong as anything but an underdog in this fight, even knowing that he won the last time it happened.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

The Golden Gael posted:

Godzilla was the underdog the last time - he was far newer than Kong and Toho had to work their butts off to make sure it was a fitting use of the RKO character. Note it was called King Kong vs. Godzilla and not the other way around.

In terms of branding, yeah, Kong was the favorite. I'm talking physically. Even in KKvG, where he was beefed up to Godzilla's size, Kong was portrayed pretty solidly as having to fight an uphill battle. The only thing that saved him at the end was the lightning storm.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Even when I was younger and more innocent and just happy to be awed by cool giant monsters I was kind of offended by how King Caesar was built up so much by the plot only to be so completely and thoroughly stomped by Mechagodzilla in a two-minute squash. Those ape-men seemed so desperate to stop his revival and when it finally happens it's basically Mechagodzilla vs Anguirus II.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Destoroyah or motherfuckin' bust for the real villain in Godzilla vs Kong, please.

It's such a cool loving monster. It's also one of the only Heisei kaiju whose design has aged well, I think. Aside from Biollante, who, while cool, isn't going to do so much as cast as a shadow on a film reel as long as Toho gets the final say in matters.

Kong beats Godzilla because of America/Primate bias, but doesn't kill him. Later on, when a bunch of microscopic climate-change/giant monster fight reawakened Ur-crustaceans show up and combine into a horrible corrosive aggregate that hands Kong his rear end, Godzilla steps in to loving murder Destoroyah before winking at Kong and being like "Fine, I'll retire, but I'll help you out on this one because this is your first shift as Protector of Earth."

The Monsterverse continues as a buddy cop franchise.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Kong cannot beat Godzilla alone, so Universal should just dial up his intelligence even further until he just builds Mechagodzilla himself.

Have Kong just be a literal mad scientist who invents all of Godzilla's enemies while an increasingly bewildered Godzilla keeps breaking his poo poo, Megaman vs. Wiley style. Humanity is completely obliterated by the start of movie 2.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Doctor Who. Come on, dude. It's canon.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Ultraman the Next's opening sequence is one of my favorites in any movie. Also that main theme is baller as hell.

Speculation: I'm getting the vibe that by the end of this movie, Legendary is going to go real real hard into a Godzilla heel-turn. Lines like (Incoming trailer dialogue spoilers) "Good thing he's on our side." and "We've got to free Godzilla." seem to point to a plot where mankind overreaches and Godzilla, likely the last of the core monster cast left alive, and possibly exploited by some of these tiny bastards, and absolutely exhausted and enraged after whatever the gently caress happens with Ghidorah finally runs its course decides "gently caress IT. THEY HAVE RABIES. KILL 'EM ALL."

Which, I mean, yeah. If we're going to do Godzilla vs Kong, makes sense. Godzilla's got the dramatic range to be the straight up villain. Kong, at his most villainous, never really gets past the mold of "giant and violent, but ultimately sympathetic even-while-murdering-dozens-of-literal-US-war-veterans animal."

Fuckin' babyface-rear end ape. Glue a bunch of golf balls to John Cena and give him the Andy Serkis treatment. Kong's going to win and I'm going to loving hate it but I'll still give the movie all of my money and watch it at least once a month for the rest of my life.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Just give me the drat Ifukube King Ghidorah theme at the start of the scene where he starts wrecking the most things and I might found a cult for you, Creative Team of This Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0CDA-ELlJs

Just gimme that cymbal build and kick those horns up and make it sound like the world is loving ending. I love that loving song.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

if youve ever watched a godzilla film you know this isnt true at all

Godzilla is one of those weird characters that can play pretty much anything on the sympathy spectrum and not have it feel all that forced. Dude can be hero, villain, impassive force of nature, angry reptilian golem piloted by WWII ghosts, tragic victim of circumstance, literally just a palette swap for King Kong (If Kong were bigger and cooler), completely terrifying harbinger of destruction, thing that would loving eat Cthulhu, a loving father, Magneto somehow, a Kaiju version of Bruce Lee in Game of Death, and it pretty much always works.

The only thing he shouldn't be is weak. Which is why G '98 is the one film that we all agree just kind of hosed off from the mythos, except where we get to make fun of it.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Burkion posted:

Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla 1974

Imagine if he went back in time and pulled that poo poo on Kong at Mt. Fuji.

OH YOU WANT TO SHOVE A TREE IN MY MOUTH?

And then he makes Kong swallow a loving radio tower. Or an entire Mechagodzilla.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

'Godzilla vs. Megalon' is the film that purists point to as the worst of the showa offerings but that's only because about six people alive today have seen 'Godzilla Raids Again.'

If you made it through 'Son of Godzilla' and 'Godzilla's Revenge' you'll be fine.

('Son' is actually okay but jeeeeezus that suit is awful to the point it drags the whole movie into its own special hell. 'Revenge' is kind of charming in its own weird "Let's just take acid and have Godzilla raise our son, Jennifer" way but it's somehow a clip show of the movie right before it so that loving suit comes back and so does the special hell but now it's a clip show hell where inbetween memories of that godforsaken thing, a more lucid, slightly embarrassed Godzilla beats up puberty-that has-lightning-hands and then demonstrates proper fire extinguisher use.)

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I just loved how absolutely lethal the monsters were. That Rodan chase sequence was way more brutal than I thought it'd be.

Rodan as Starscream is a pretty neat concept.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Name of thing not directly seen in movie spoiler:

Ahahahahah please, next movie, have mecha-king Ghidorah crush a five-headed dragon and then add an eight-headed one named Orochi and have him stomp that one as well to show that it's just a liiiittle more complicated than "more heads = better than."

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I am ALL IN on Shin Godzilla breaking the EVAs like toys and essentially killing the audience to get Ghidorah's attention for a power ballad duo or whatever is going on in that holy poo poo.

Please that. Please more.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

It is easier for me to believe that Godzilla used a hollow earth jet-stream that this movie and the in-universe movie released before it set up to fast travel crocodile-tackle Ghidorah in the open ocean than it is for me to believe that he whatever thing you are going to say he did instead. I invoke the film version of Occam's razor, even if it sounds insane to do that for a giant monster movie that takes place in an alternate universe earth where creatures can outlast geologic strata. You cannot hurt me anymore, ghosts. I still like the movie.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Because, in a straightforward way, you don’t actually enjoy the movie. You didn’t follow the story (and I don’t blame you), so was it worth the time?

Non-movie talk for just a bit.

This is maybe a little weird for me to point out in a Godzilla movie thread of all places with a poster I'm not sure if I've ever had more than like three interactions with, but the above quote strikes me as a bit culty. Like, reading it drags up memories of poo poo I've gone through in a way that makes me physically react in discomfort. Oversimplified scare quotes coming from an imperfect mind attempting to get his point across incoming: "Your opinion is the opposite. We're actually in agreement, and I can't blame you for agreeing with me." Reads as pretty darn indoc.

Granted, we're on the forum with the racist hot dog gofundme epic and the thread where a guy ripped off his own dying arm to escape the hospital to score more heroin or something, so it's not like we're all the most rational actors, here. Also, you certainly know what you're doing when it comes to words, but I'm pretty sure you're not actually a cultist. You're super observant about film and make generally salient points (sometimes exaggerated for entertainment purposes, of course), but we've all got some blind spots.

I'm not really pointing this out for you as much as I am for a hypothetical someone who reads a piece of text like the one I quoted and feels a bit icky. It's okay, hypothetical someone, I saw that too.

Anyway, mods, can I get a sixer or something? This ain't really monster movie talk and I shouldn't engage.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just have the balls to let Kong win, Legendary :argh:

Kong already won in the 60's and if humans have proved anything it's that apes suck at being top dog. Give nature back to the nuke reptiles.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

It makes Godzilla stronger too and also magnetic.

GvsMG Godzilla would not have any of Kong's poo poo if they ever met again in the showa canon. That is a monster who has conquered his demons and overcome some poo poo.

Hell, he wouldn't need to beat Kong. He'd probably just forgive him.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Mothra slapping Godzilla's poo poo and him just letting it go while she plays air-rescue for the humans is also a neat little character moment, if we're reading into Godzilla's evolution into straight up hero.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I always forget that it's like a whole musical number to wake up King Caesar.

And he instantly eats poo poo, too. He gets his rear end kicked almost as bad as Anguirus did earlier in the movie. It's amazingly mean-spirited. God, I love that movie.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Anguirus is cool because he crawls on his weird human knees and his tail is just this endlessly spiny piece of poo poo that he definitely had to hurt his soul to wag. He didn't get a breath weapon or anything, he was just this poor broken bit of of nature with an admittedly cool spiky shell saddled with just every goddamn disadvantage a giant monster could have in a world of other giant monsters. He had the brain of a Canada Goose or a honey badger though so just gently caress you, just absolutely gently caress you. Like the T Rex from the first King Kong was reincarnated to fight an even more bullshit monster but just decided to run with it.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

The first time I saw Rodan I was convinced someone had put the wrong tape in the VHS box because for the first 20 minutes instead of a giant monster movie it's a horror bug movie. Then I got to the reveal and :aaaaa:

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

With all due respect to Kamacuras, I don't see how combining with Gigan does anything but make: Gigan, worse.

I can see the benefits of Kumongalon, though.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 14, 2021

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

This movie was my kind of wonderful nonsense, but good lord that conspiracy subplot was dire. All-time great fights, though.

I just wish they'd kept Bear McCreary and paid Toho the money for the Ifukube themes. The score here was okay, but KOTM had one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I have a lot of criticisms about this film's plot, but one thing I actually really appreciated about this movie is the way it paints both Kong and humanity as short-sighted, constantly mistaken, and mostly outmatched when it comes to dealing with "Big-Picture Nature." Apex's attempt to step into the ring to reestablish mankind as the top of the food chain almost ended civilization. They didn't make a monster that could beat Godzilla, they woke up a nightmare from a cosmic food chain that our Godzilla-having ecosystem needed a few miracles to handle in the first place, and Apex didn't even get a chance to put a corporate logo on it before it ate their ambition, shattered them like the eggshell they were, and went on a rampage.

With Kong himself, his one assumed big advantage going into the title fight was his intelligence. Him being the smarter monster was what everyone in-universe and out was counting on to shift the dynamic of their conflict, but as it turns out, when it's all laid bare, Godzilla's the smartest motherfucker in the film. Kong discovers the remnants of his ancient civilization, picks up his battery axe, and there's a moment of "Yeah, the ape can do this." Then Godzilla, who in-universe has been doing this poo poo since the 2014 movie, again, demonstrates a supernatural awareness of his surroundings, goes straight-up wrath of god, burns a hole into the core of the world, and screams "I see you, idiot. This isn't new to me. How about I just wreck the ruins of your kind's ill-decided history while we're having this little conversation, and you can come up here, try your luck, and we'll see what happens?"

And he kicks the poo poo out of Kong, to the point that there's not an argument about who's in charge. Godzilla smiles, even laughs as he does so; an escalation which tracks with his moments of being more than just a giant beast in the previous films. And when Mechagodzilla emerges, and the two earth monsters join forces, it's Godzilla, not Kong, who gets the idea to supercharge the axe. Kong even treats that moment with a kind of bewildered reverence. They really did an excellent job of making Kong expressive.

There's a lot in the human plot that doesn't sit right for me, but I loving loved how each of the main monsters were handled.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

The lesson taught: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep was originally meant to star King Kong, not Godzilla.

The lesson I have learned: In this movie, Godzilla is a bitter rear end in a top hat doing a sarcastic Kong impression, yelling "Look at me! Look at me! I'm a dumb loving monkey! I like human girls and I sleep like a useless shithead!" Until Mothra slaps him hard enough to get him to cut it out.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

The scene where Biollante shows up for the final fight in its film with the gold space dust and localized earthquake and the insane vines leading into that horrifying pissed off mother nature roar and that incredible wide shot where Godzilla is just utterly dwarfed in comparison to this thing is basically the most awesome pro-wrestling PPV main event entrance for a kaiju movie ever, just a notch above Iris descending from the clouds and making thunder as it touches down from the end of the third Heisei Gamera movie. gently caress that poo poo rules. Gets me hype every time.

Final form Destoroyah's WWE Kane entrance is cool too.

Godzilla showing up flanked by the US armed forces in KotM is also some Wrestlemania quality poo poo.

Final fight introductions are some of my favorite scenes in these movies. There's just something so mythic about them when they're done well. Anyone else have any favorites? I feel like binging.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Karloff posted:

It's not final fight, but I love Godzilla's first appearance in Terror of Mechagodzilla. First his shadowy sillouhette appearing behind a building, then Titanosaurus getting hit with the breath before an explosion lights up Godzilla's astoundingly grumpy face. It's sick.

Oh hell yeah. I love the brief little scuffle Godzilla and Titanosaurus have at one point in that movie, too, the dark shot with the panning camera and the Ifukube score. It's super atmospheric.

Oh! The fact that King Caesar gets an entire musical number in MG74 before he wakes up and gets the absolute poo poo kicked out of him is hilarious to me. The whole plot was basically about him and when he finally shows up he's barely even a factor in the final battle. Poor guy.

Monster X transforming into Keizer Ghidorah at the end of Final Wars is a fun scene, too. Even though I think that Ghidorah design is ugly and clumsy and just really does not work at all.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

HannibalBarca posted:

as opposed to ghidorah, who's never won a single fight across the entire franchise

Showa Ghidorah beat Zone Fighter, once. Gigan's one victory is soloing Jet Jaguar offscreen in vs Megalon, and while I love Jet Jaguar as much as the next guy, Zone Fighter he is not.

He might have actually won in Monster Zero, too. He's the only monster who came out of the sea at the end, which is exactly how Toho showed us that Kong had beaten Godzilla after their big fight a few movies prior. I imagine Ghidorah just chose to gently caress off from Earth after the Xians all blew up because, I mean, the dude had certainly had a day.

And he beat Rainbow Mothra in the third Heisei Mothra film.

Other than that, yeah. I think It's just Rodan and Mothra in KotM. I guess he won a fight with Biollante in a comic at one point? Maybe he kicked some rear end in that one show with all the action figures.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

At least the anime trilogy gave us fan-made fights against MechaGodzilla and Ghidorah

Holy poo poo I'd never seen that Ghidorah one before. That's absolutely insane. Like watching two primordial black holes duke it out. Goddamn.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Ultra 7 is one of the greatest sci-fi shows ever made, full stop. It's so good.

I'd be okay with a monsterverse show structured like that. gently caress it, just give us Legendary Zone Fighter.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I am ALL-loving-IN on a long-running kaijuverse epic series from Toho/Daiei/Tsubaraya et al. I have no idea how they'd even begin to make it work but Jesus Christ the scale of the thing would have to be immense. How do you even try to slot Kamen Rider in there? Who gets to be the Thanos (I mean, probably King Ghidorah since that's the villain name with the biggest draw, but things get way crazy way quick with Ultraman and Eva baddies). What the gently caress would Ultraman's reaction be to the Evas and their mentally and emotionally broken pilots. Do I get to see Godzilla gently caress up an angel? Do I get to see Godzilla actually take on Ultraman? Fuuuuuuuuck.

Like a movie Super Robot Wars, it'd be. Just overstimulated storytelling nonsense but gently caress it. Get in the Mecha King Ghidorah, Shinji. Get on the tiny human motorcycle, Godzilla. Hayato, that Eva wants to disembowel you and eat your color timer, so you better kick its rear end.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Anyone have any insight into that weird giant statue that baby Mothra wrecked just after she hatched in KOTM? It's super brief at like the 8 minute mark and I missed it the last six times I saw this movie. It looks like a Naruto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

I just want Bear McReary to score another Godzilla movie because the score for KotM fuckin' ruled and the score for GvsK sounded like something from a stock parody of a kaiju movie.

Much like GvsK itself kind of was, I guess.