Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla I think. That one has that subplot about the dude with the weird blood coagulant bullet out for revenge on Godzilla

First time it's brought up is Mechagodzilla '93, where they target it so they can kill Godzilla, which they proceed to do. It's based on a now defunct theory that some dinosaurs like Stegosaurus had an extra brain lower down their spinal chord, but it seems like what Paleontologists were seeing in the fossil record was just a really large bundle of nerves.

I'm pretty stoked about the Anno Zilla, though. Man has been making Kaiju and Ultraman fan films, homages, and parodies longer than I've been alive. He genuinely loves and understands the genre and I can't wait to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Maxwell Lord posted:

Like BvS, King Kong and Godzilla are manipulated into fighting by, I dunno, the Xians or Kilaaks or the Aliens from the Third Planet of the Black Hole, then they unite at the end to face off against Gigan with the assistance of Mothra, and we see news footage of Rodan and Varan and Baragon in brief scenes setting up Destroy All Monsters.

This is basically the plot of Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. Which Gareth Edwards might actually already be remaking since the next American film is supposed to feature Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Godzilla vs. Mothra, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, and Godzilla vs. Monster X make up a cool little trilogy, and I'd highly recommend it.

Check out Mothra and Rodan's solo movies too. The original 1960's Mothra might be my all time favorite Kaiju film. The model work is amazing.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Monster Zero was a nice touch.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

These elemental themes are making me think that the new flick is gonna hue closer to GMK.

Won't lie, gonna be mildly disappointed when this turns out to be a GMK remake instead of a Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster remake.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Look, if there's not a subtitled sequence of Rodan and Godzilla telling Mothra to gently caress off, I'm not sure why I want to be in the theater.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Burkion posted:

Rodan is a strong competitor for best non Godzilla movie.

Mothra is the reason it isn't number one, though.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm going to go on a road trip to search for the lost Godzilla and find myself along the way.

Unfortunately, foam latex deteriorates relatively quickly, so that's all you'll find.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

Godzilla re-watch updates:

- Surprisingly, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla is the only one of the '70s films I don't vibe with.

- Boy-howdy, The Return of Godzilla is a bore.

I'm more partial to Terror of Mechagodzilla myself. And I think the Heisei series in general is a slog outside of King Ghidorah, which is just loving batshit.

I do have a special place in my heart for the Not-Saudi assassin B-plot in Biollante, though.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Nothing will stick with me like Godzilla ripping Mechagodzilla's head off, and it having a tiny head underneath. I've remembered that sequence from the age of like 3.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

Godzilla's reaction is perfect, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOdf0XagMbA&t=57s

Just like "Haha, got your head-- ... What?! ... Ah! Ah, god dammit!"

It's a really good callback to the first Mechagodzilla too, since that's how Godzilla eventually defeats him in that movie.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
In the Heisei films in particular, Kaiju seem to have some kind of "life force" that they can pass between one another, like Rodan to Godzilla in v.MG2 or Godzilla to Godzilla Jr. in v.Destroyah. So while a "new" Godzilla will rise from the ashes of the old, those old spirits still inhabit this new body.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I don't think I could ever put Final Wars above Tokyo SOS or 2000. GMK is definitely reigning champion of the Millenium period, though.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Final Wars has more superhero tokusatsu in its DNA than anime, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T35uDyMY5I

Definitely.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I highly recommend both original Ultraman and Ultraseven series. The production is the best of its era thanks to legendary special effects director Eiji Tsuburaya. Plus it's fun spotting where they reused old Toho movie costumes by repainting them and slapping dorsal fins on them.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That begs the question, how can there still be super villains when motherfucking Godzilla can show up to kick your rear end at any given moment?

Ask Ghidorah and Gigan.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ghidorah and Gigan are at least on the same weight class as Godzilla, what can guys like the Joker, Dr Octopus or Bizarro can do to him?

Gigan and Ghidorah are basically space mercenaries. They work for whoever is willing to pay. What kind of super villain can’t spot a few bucks for a henchman.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

DC Murderverse posted:

Evangelion would be perfect if it were one of those "icon director as producer/hot action director in the chair" sort of things like Transformers (Spielberg/Bay) or Man of Steel (Nolan/Snyder).

except the "icon producer" is Anno and Gareth Edwards is the man in the chair. Creator of Eva/Godzilla director + Godzilla director = EVA live-action!

edit: this is roughly how I imagine the MGS movie will eventually get made, except with Kojima and Vogt-Roberts instead of Anno and Edwards. If Japan isn't gonna do anything with the weird auteurs that it has sitting around we ought to. Bring Anno, Kojima, Beat Takeshi and Miike to America, give them an international cast and $30 million budget and let them go nuts.

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/1022107339753541632

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/1019188385188122624

Relevant because, uhh, King Kong guy and very Kaiju-esque mecha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I like that the big rear end Godzilla painted on the wall at Toho is based on the modern Bandai toy.