Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
Late last year I went on the hunt for a fun project car that can be slightly competitive in autox and has back seats, funding to come from selling my motorcycle(still not sold). After a long search in feburary I found an add on Craigslist for a rust free(mostly) 2001 Integra GSR, Most of these are rusted back into the earth in the northeast so this got my attention. Long story short after talking to the teenage girl(RED FLAG RED FLAG) that owned it and exchanging some information, I drove an hour and a half away with a dollie on my jeep and paid half her asking price and towed it home. This car is dirty, neglected didnt run to great and has had some questionable decisions made in it's past. This is what it looked like shortly after I picked it up:

The more I looked The more I found. Non working Xeon healight bulbs

Rusty Air filters attached to CAIs turned into a short ram

Leaky trunk from the tailights, never seen one without this problem. Those zipties are floating..

Aftermarket Radio doesnt work I wonder why?

WHYYYY??

Carbon fiber crap on the gauge cluster

Why bother unscrewing the front bezel if you can just crack it off? Your covering it with that wicked cool carbon fiber thing, that will never go out of style/adhesive wear out.

Wasn't even securing the battery, just flopping around the intake manifold.

Broke my record for change found in car purchase by a long shot.

Complete with questionable service history and paystubs. Girl told me it had a type-r head on it, I laughed and said "yeah sure" never thinking about it more because I've never heard of anyone doing that since the performance gain is so minimal.

heh

Wait...yep that's definitely a type-r intake manifold, and they only mount on the type-r head... WHY??

Future updates to come soon with what I have fixed already and where its at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
Broken headlights fixed with jbweld epoxy!

Donor gauge cluster from and rs,ls model

New tailights, havent put them on yet.

Carpets shampooed like 3 times, still kind of dirty. Leather cleaned and conditioned.

The PO managed to trash the rubber that seals the hood towards the firewall somehow, probably involving that rear end lube. Had to grab this plastic piece entirely from a model at the pick n pull, got some weird looks at the check out.

cheap shortram because it was about as much as a filter and I couldn't for the life of me get a stock system for less than $100. New plugs and wires, evap canister was missing a cap and was flopping around, all fixed and fit underneath the master cylinder.

Turn it on... Still idles like crap so I decide to do a compression test.

1-0PSI
2-175PSI
3-55PSI
4-175PSI

Ummmm...

Okay so lets start with a valve lash adjustment, no big deal.

Compression test again..
1-25PSI
2-185PSI
3-185PSI
4-180PSI

And that was 2 days ago, plans are to remove the head and go from there. My assumption is damaged valves or a very very bad head-gasket, we will see. Thanks for reading/looking, I'm a total lurker on here but decided to share.

koollook124 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 19, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Came here hoping to see a 2nd gen Integra (since I owned one), but a 3rd gen GSR makes up for it.

I retired my 91 when it started running on 2 cylinders. Unfortunately it wasn't anything valve adjustments (or head gaskets.. or a head) could fix. Rings basically ceased to exist on two cylinders. :sigh: It had some burnt valves too, but it was too late for the original engine (and I was sick of fixing it).

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
In my past I've had a 3rd gen rs that rusted away and a 2nd gen rs that went with my brother to Colorado and unfortunately got totaled in an accident RIP.

Forgot to mention I poured a little oil in cylinder 1 and re ran the compression test with no different results so I'm hoping I have cancelled out the possibility of bad rings.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Yay! the b18C is perhaps one of my favorite motors. I'm in this one for the longhaul!

Good luck with the motor! eesh!

I'm torn between picking up an EF hatch like my old one and swapping it, or getting a 2nd gen sedan and swapping it. The former holds my heart, always. The latter I'm still pretty fond of (buddy in high school's parents had one. such a fun little car).

Decisions, decisions...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hey junky green Honda buddy! I am slowly accumulating DC GS-R parts for my '92 EG DX so it's like we're the same car.

I bet that head and intake manifold came from a chop shop.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Nice! I remember seeing those everywhere, and then all of a sudden they were gone within a year.

Good luck with the engine.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If the bottom end is messed up get an ITR block :getin:

Also good job unfucking it so far

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've always liked GS-Rs. Back when they were new, I had a new Sentra SE-R and my best friend bought a new GS-R.

The GS-R was faster whenever we lined up. I stopped trying. :(

doogle
May 24, 2003

The ITR head is just a B16 head with factory porting done. The ITR intake manifold will bolt up to a b16 or ITR so you could have either and the only way to tell is to look down the ports to see if they are ported. If you do pull the head off check to see what cams you have as well, the ITR cams are really good.

If you need anything let me know, I have a bunch of B series parts from my various iterations of the turbo hatch.

edit:

Back in the day a GSR block/B16 head was the "poor man's Type R" as it would give you nearly the same power of a B18C5 for about 1/3 of the cost. My guess is that it is a B16 head unless the swap was done more recently. You can get a complete B16 head for ~$500 and an ITR head for ~$1000 now, but in the early 2000s an ITR head was much more than a B16 head.

doogle fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 14, 2016

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
Most of the questionable receipts were from 2012 so it's probably anyone's guess. Once it's off the car I will offer up some pictures to try and find out. I'm expecting some carnage, hopefully I'm wrong.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
Hoping to at least have the manifolds off tonight. In going to be busy photographing and documenting things so it goes back together properly so it may take me a bit.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
All I got off last night was the dizzy, the Vtec solenoid and the Ac compressor bracket. Went to start up the bike to sell to someone today and it dumped fuel into the crankcasee and out the air box all over the driveway, sweet. Really don't feel like fixing it, was probably a stuck float needle or something, carbs blow.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I checked my friend's shop today, there is a green DC with a good rear bumper. Live anywhere near NC?

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
I wish I did, I live in Central New York. I'm vacationing there in about a month and a half but I doubt I could convince everyone to ride in the car with a bumper. My crazy neighbor does body work so I'm a little less concerned about that as I think he will work for 30 racks of keystones(he's odd).

Once I have time I will list all of the other plans for the car on here. The engine issue kind of threw a curveball and will need to be addressed first though. I don't work as quick as some people on here, heh.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

koollook124 posted:

Central New York.

Whereabouts?

I'm a big fan of this gen Integra, and probably have some parts kicking around... maybe.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
Liverpool, near Syracuse. I will graciously accept parts! And pay in beer for company!

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
A few very small steps completed tonight. Progress has been slow

Drained the coolant

Intake Manifold separated from the head, looks like I have enough clearance to leave it pushed back and not remove it entirely. 3 bolts are missing down there somewhere. Once the head is back on I'm going to clean up this wiring and vaccum hoses a little bit.

Not ported... Cheap bastards

Exhaust manifold bolts came off very easily where they meet the head:-), however the bolts holding the downpipe are proving to be difficult. I only took one attempt at one of the three with a half inch drive and a 6 point socket and it still started to round it off after pbblaster. I' thinking I'm going to remove it where it joins to the cat because the hardware is more easily disposed of. I don't feel like wrecking the manifold's studs on the lower end.

Some pictures of the dizzy, ac compressor bracket and the vtec solenoid removed the other day

Ive been trying to attach a lot of bolts to their homes using masking tape. So far I think it's been a pretty solid plan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo, it really does have an ITR head. :stonk: Hopefully it has the cams to go with it, if it does that sucker will have some awesome high RPM power once you get it running right.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
The intake openings don't look ported to me so I think it's a b16 head. I'm sure once it's off it will be more conclusive though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You may be right - a PR3 head could be a B16 head or an ITR head (it could even be off of the [super rare today] B17), you won't know until you look into the intake ports. The porting will start a little less than 2 inches into the ports.

They're the same head aside from the porting. I want to say the ITR head has double springs on the exhaust valves, but it's been a really long time since I played HondaLegos, and digging up info on the differences is getting more difficult since most people have moved on to the K.

I'm really missing my Integra now :smith: - it wasn't quick by any means (LS), but it was still a lot of fun to drive.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 19, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I saw a B17 for sale the other day. I had to do a little bit of a double take because I thought maybe they had somehow swapped a D17 into an Integra, but wikipedia set me straight.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

there is no replacement for displacement. b18c, b20-vtec or bust.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I just want to figure out if my turbo D16Y8 can fit into a first-generation CR-V because there's a lot of broken ones cropping up on the jeej.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

First gen crv is b20, I don't think anyone has gone from b to D motors, sorry

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I saw a B17 for sale the other day. I had to do a little bit of a double take because I thought maybe they had somehow swapped a D17 into an Integra, but wikipedia set me straight.

The B17 was only in North American 92-93 Integra GSRs (which is an extremely rare car in its own right, less than 5000 were built for NA, less than 4000 for the US). And most of them were blown up a long time ago, it's a very rare engine to run across today.

I've only ever seen one in the flesh (and that was over a decade ago), every other 92-93 GSR I've seen had a B18C swapped in. I can't say I've even seen a 92-93 GSR in several years; it's rare enough to see a regular 90-93 Integra today. A guy that works at a corner store nearby has a pretty clean 92-93 LS or GS 5 speed, and I know he has at least 1 other car - I'm really tempted to ask him what it would take to buy it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 20, 2016

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

A guy that works at a corner store nearby has a pretty clean 92-93 LS or GS 5 speed, and I know he has at least 1 other car - I'm really tempted to ask him what it would take to buy it.

Not that I've been looking or anything... :v:

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
The 2nd gen cars definitely look better in the sedan body style than the 3rd gen in my opinion.

I'm starting to get a few calls on the slighly(or majorly) broken bike tasked to fund some of the integra parts. I hope it sells soon. Anyone in the CNY area needing riding gear that's creeping on here let me know.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

koollook124 posted:

Liverpool, near Syracuse. I will graciously accept parts! And pay in beer for company!

I know the area well, I spent 5 years in Ithaca, and was associated with a VW club in Syracuse. Swing by Heid's and get a Mixed Double for me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I still see clapped out integras every day in Southbridge MA. Hell, I'm pretty sure there's one (very riced out) that parks less than a block from my place.

Seems like the previous owner is your worst enemy on this project.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That dark green is the best integra colour. Always wanted a GSR from that gen as a daily driver.

some texas redneck posted:

The B17 was only in North American 92-93 Integra GSRs (which is an extremely rare car in its own right, less than 5000 were built for NA, less than 4000 for the US). And most of them were blown up a long time ago, it's a very rare engine to run across today.

I've only ever seen one in the flesh (and that was over a decade ago), every other 92-93 GSR I've seen had a B18C swapped in. I can't say I've even seen a 92-93 GSR in several years; it's rare enough to see a regular 90-93 Integra today. A guy that works at a corner store nearby has a pretty clean 92-93 LS or GS 5 speed, and I know he has at least 1 other car - I'm really tempted to ask him what it would take to buy it.

The guy I'm building a b18b1 civic chumpcar with also runs a del-sol for sprint races that used to have a B17 (now JDM B18c5). It just sits in a garage as a spare motor :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn. Get the a/c working and maybe dip the wheels something a little darker and I'd drive the hell out of that.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008

sharkytm posted:

I know the area well, I spent 5 years in Ithaca, and was associated with a VW club in Syracuse. Swing by Heid's and get a Mixed Double for me.

Had me some heids last Saturday, Hoffman hotdogs are the best(looking to start a hotdog argument)!

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
Got those exhaust bolts off and the manifold off tonight. Valve cover off(again), timing belt removed from the cam sprockets and cam sprockets removed. Miscellaneous coolant hoses, temp sensor and tdc sensor removed. Lost the wooden key(Haynes manual call that bit of metal connecting the sprocket to camshaft) on the exhaust sprocket down near the water pump area. I need to stop dropping bolts and things...

Will hopefully have pics up tomorrow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Woodruff key, perhaps?

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Woodruff key, perhaps?

Yep that's it, its down near the water pump somewhere. I'm going to change the timing belt while I'm at it even though it's pretty recent so I'll get it then.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Get yourself one of those magnet-on-a-stick parts retrievers, when they aren't too busy sticking to your engine block and other random things nearby they are great for plucking lost parts from deep in the bowels of an engine compartment.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008

kastein posted:

Get yourself one of those magnet-on-a-stick parts retrievers, when they aren't too busy sticking to your engine block and other random things nearby they are great for plucking lost parts from deep in the bowels of an engine compartment.

Had one years ago and accidentally bent it like the tv antenna it was derived from. I should really buy a new though you're right, they are cheap and very useful in this situation.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

They make fancy ones now that can snake in to tighter places, and have a little grabber at the end for stubborn/non-magnetic things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

koollook124 posted:

Got those exhaust bolts off and the manifold off tonight. Valve cover off(again), timing belt removed from the cam sprockets and cam sprockets removed. Miscellaneous coolant hoses, temp sensor and tdc sensor removed. Lost the wooden key(Haynes manual call that bit of metal connecting the sprocket to camshaft) on the exhaust sprocket down near the water pump area. I need to stop dropping bolts and things...

Will hopefully have pics up tomorrow.

Those are a $1 part that throw a wrench in your whole weekend. I lost one of those and Honda took 2 loving weeks to get me another one. The good news is the B and D series ones are the same, so if you can't find it you can pull the cam gear off of any d series junkyard car to replace it. I didn't know that until I waited the 2 weeks.

• Locked thread