Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Probably but it's not like Smash does like mvc-style outros where Wario shittalks K Rook either, I don't think Smash has appreciably more fanservice in the game itself

E: Smash does have much better single player stuff though, which is to say it has any (though mvs is f2p so apples and oranges I guess)

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Velma telling Batman that now everyone knows who the real detective is when she wins was pretty good imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Probably but it's not like Smash does like mvc-style outros where Wario shittalks K Rook either, I don't think Smash has appreciably more fanservice in the game itself

E: Smash does have much better single player stuff though, which is to say it has any (though mvs is f2p so apples and oranges I guess)

i think their point is more that its stuff people actually wanted to see. who wanted to see like, ayra and bugs bunny interact. or garnet and one of the gremlins. the scope is so large that it feels largely flavorless.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Countblanc posted:

I get your point but I think the choice of characters in itself is a form of fanservice after a certain point? Like King K Rool being in the game at all is definitely pandering. Something like LeBron in Multiversus is momentarily funny but that's all there is.

Endorph posted:

i think their point is more that its stuff people actually wanted to see. who wanted to see like, ayra and bugs bunny interact. or garnet and one of the gremlins. the scope is so large that it feels largely flavorless.
Yeah.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of the same issue the Sony All-Stars game had years back; simply bringing a bunch of disparate IPs together doesn't mean it's going to be inherently interesting for them to be there, even if (in that case) they were all video game characters and not just random IPs from a multimedia conglomerate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea. nintendo and a few cameos from companies nintendo has at least some tie to is a small enough scope that it feels workable. like mario vs sonic is the stuff of 90s playground arguments. were any children having arguments about black adam vs rick and morty

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

yea. nintendo and a few cameos from companies nintendo has at least some tie to is a small enough scope that it feels workable. like mario vs sonic is the stuff of 90s playground arguments. were any children having arguments about black adam vs rick and morty

It's also that Smash developed its own particular identity, style, and visual language across several iterations before they started bringing in action figures from another toybox, and those additions were properly integrated into what was previously defined.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I feel like the wider the cross overs become the more cynical it feels kind of? Like "all the cartoons fight" seems workable, but once you start mixing in live action characters and just straight up real people it feels like you've made the net too wide and you're just chasing memes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea so many of these games just wanna skip right to the part where theyre a ubiquitous part of popculture and an esport and a fanboy dream instead of just, making a video game and seeing if people like it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Ridley referencing ancient GameFAQs arguments over Melee is memes but a meme specifically for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But COULD 1950s prime Ralphie beat LeBron in the post??

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As dismissive as I am about Smash as a competitive game and everything that has come with that, I do kinda miss the days back when they were leading up to the third game and doing those nightly reveal posts. Folks collectively F5ing the Nintendo site and losing their goddamn minds when we realized they were actually doing crossover characters was a lot of fun.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I feel like the wider the cross overs become the more cynical it feels kind of? Like "all the cartoons fight" seems workable, but once you start mixing in live action characters and just straight up real people it feels like you've made the net too wide and you're just chasing memes.

Hell, LeBron makes way more sense than Arya, he's at least interacted with Bugs and Taz before.

Arya might have worked better if the LOTR characters and HP were in the game, but as it is, she sticks out like a sore thumb

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Agreed I would personally be down for a well-presented Cartoon Network platform fighter (didn't that already happen, just not well-made and on the DS or something?) and heck you can still give spots to Supes and Batman as a result, or a Looney Tunes platform fighter but I concur with the sentiment that it's never really stuck in my head who would win in a fight between the Iron Giant and Steven Universe. MVS feels more like "well we have the license to all these IPs and the kids love that Smash so do that with what we have!"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The thing with Multiversus's crossover stuff is it's not focused. There isn't a core. Smash Bros is by and large mostly Nintendo characters slamming against each other. There's an increasing number of toys from other toyboxes, but the majority of characters hail from Kyoto. Similarly, Capcom's Versus games restrict their core crossover to one other publisher for the most part. And of course, games like Injustice and Soul Calibur have their own core cast of characters that take center stage while the crossover characters are just special guests.

Multiversus by comparison is all over the shop and mostly just feels like a worse Ready Player One as a result. They probably should have started with, like, a core "comics vs. cartoons" theme to the roster, emphasizing the DC and Looney Toons stuff (with sprinklings of the HB and Cartoon Network stuff) then gradually expanded out to GoT and the rest of the WB portfolio in post-release. But then, I'm just a guy posting on the internet and lack the sheer levels of cocaine and self-destructive urges that are hiring requirements in WB's suit-and-tie suite. :v:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean that is WB's entire MO at this point. It feels like a worse Ready Player One because that is what they were going for, the new Space Jam movie was the exact same thing. They had the rapists from a Clockwork Orange in crowd shots in that film. There is no core to anything they are doing besides we own the IP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest part of space jam 2 is that it ends with an ad for e3. e3 would never have another event after space jam 2 came out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think for a crossover to work there needs to be some core.

Like, Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts sounds bonkers "Final Fantasy and Disney movies? What?" But if you give it a little thought past the initial shock it makes sense. Both tend to be large bombastic stories where love, caring and friendship overcome cruelty and evil. They're not really 'similar' at first blush but they have a similar enough core that it forms the basis for a fun concept.

People have pointed out the Anya Stark thing but... yeah, that really underlines Multiversus' issues. Why would you include a Game of Thrones character in something like Multiversus except because THE IP. You can point to Bayonetta in Smash but Bayonetta is cartoony as gently caress even if her game is M-rated.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Saint Freak posted:

Just emailed my opponent Superman Up-Special at D7. He's so hosed. I suspect he'll just concede.

:lol:

^underrated post

Someone said "Multiversus is what happens when you let a C-Suite design a game" and yeah that seems accurate

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It kinda looks like when you'd play SFIV in a terrible connection where everything is under water and god awful. Why would you choose this footage to highlight your netcode improvements?

You mean you don't want to play a smash like game that runs like it's on Windows 95?

Such entitlement

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Like, Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts sounds bonkers "Final Fantasy and Disney movies? What?" But if you give it a little thought past the initial shock it makes sense. Both tend to be large bombastic stories where love, caring and friendship overcome cruelty and evil. They're not really 'similar' at first blush but they have a similar enough core that it forms the basis for a fun concept.
kingdom hearts also has the original characters who basically exist perfectly at the center of that crossover. they're jrpg characters but they have bigger shoes and, at least in kh1's case, pretty colorful outfits. sora's outfit especially is intentionally evoking mickey's color scheme. and the keyblade is both cool and goofy. and tonally they're a pretty obvious middle point between tones, sora can yell about darkness but also goof off with donald and goofy. they center the crossover around themselves.

multiversus has the reindog.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mycot posted:

The thing that Smash Bros (and Marvel vs) understood that no Smash Clone has is the basic concept of fanservice. Solid Snake snapping Mario's neck or the Dante Deadpool shootout is what people want. Everyone else just smashes IPs together incoherently and are confused when Arya Stark vs Scooby Doo doesn't go viral.

Multiversus could have been actually really good

Cartoon network/ WB IPs brawling? Hell yeah

Problem was also some of the character choices for initial roster were BIZARRE

No Samurai Jack? A wierd space deer dog? Gremlins?

LeBron James?

It just had no real identity and just fell apart before it even started

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

You can point to Bayonetta in Smash but Bayonetta is cartoony as gently caress even if her game is M-rated.
Bayonetta's also very tied to Nintendo (Legally a Sega character but Nintendo financed and published two thirds of the trilogy), so she still fits in with the theme despite also kind of not.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

the new Space Jam movie was the exact same thing. They had the rapists from a Clockwork Orange in crowd shots in that film.

What? Lmao

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ColdPie posted:

What? Lmao

here are some properties we own don't you remember these intellectual properties isn't that cool

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TGLT posted:

here are some properties we own don't you remember these intellectual properties isn't that cool

i don't think even midjourney could produce an image this execrable, jesus christ

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

jk rowlings everything might have also given them some hesitation. like hogwarts legacy made money but thats just a video game you put on shelves, when youre trying to be an Esport im sure theres some tourneys that wouldnt have run the game

big corpos absolutely don't care about jk rowling's transphobia lol
the vast majority of white bread american liberals don't know or care either
hoglegs game's success is evidence enough of that.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Multiversus Arya is also a anime stylized doe-eyed generic model, if you dressed her in blue and told me it was chun li id believe you

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Elephunk posted:

Multiversus Arya is also a anime stylized doe-eyed generic model, if you dressed her in blue and told me it was chun li id believe you

Yes

And they decided to go with GOT

After THAT disaster of a finale

Just no clue at all lmao

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

TGLT posted:

I just noticed Cheetara from Thundercats in the background lol

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shinji2015 posted:

Thundercats would have been a great property to take fighting game characters for

Much more so than Basketball and Hockey

I do agree GOT can work if they had LOTR or even Harry Potter to also go that direction

But Arya alone just sticks out like a sore thumb

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 12, 2024

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/calikingz01/status/1778665759302197473?t=L9HX7gMl0026qlmayGW5Lg&s=19

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Shinji2015 posted:

I seriously thought my friend was bullshitting me when they told me A Clockwork Orange was cameo'd in that movie. What cocaine addled psychopath thought that was a good choice for a kids movie.

Can't wait for them to add a stage for it in Multiversus

Edit: Just noticed I quoted the wrong post because I'm phone posting on break like an idiot. Gonna leave it, because Cheetara is cool. I made a really great Cheetara out of Killik's moveset in Soul Calibur 6.

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 12, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Reindog, the Multiversus original character, whatever the gently caress THAT means

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Reindog, the Multiversus original character, whatever the gently caress THAT means

not much dog, what's rein with you

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
If the put Arya in it they should have thrown in Tony Soprano too, and one of those Entourage boys.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neo would have been funny

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The real biggest issue was that people managed to kind of understand that with such a broad wealth of IPs to draw from your personal favorites may not get in immediately, and they still managed to have a super underwhelming roster. Who the hell wanted Gizmo or Morty?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Decided to start up Strive on a whim for the first time in a year or so, and I'm surprised that I can do motion inputs alright on a DS4 considering that I used KBM when I last played. Jack-O is definitely 3 levels harder than anything Rising, though, and that's just in the training room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

not much dog, what's rein with you

The sad part is that Reindog was a lot of fun to play lol

Waffleman_ posted:

Neo would have been funny

Neo would have brought with him a great explanation for what's happening in this stupid game: Neo found his way into the Ready Player One servers which is why he's suddenly fighting Superman and LeBron James. That's it, there's your story.

Plus if you could get Keanu to do the VA work, you could do some jokes about John Wick and Bill and Ted