Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Does anyone have that clip of Chris Hu screaming Welcome to America after an Akuma wakeup Ultra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

giogadi posted:

I decided to give Skullgirls a go tonight and I've had a lot of fun going through the tutorials. They're so well done!

What's the recommended team size for beginners? I've never played a team-based game before so learning 3 chars at once is overwhelming, but if I'm willing to try if it's the best way to learn.

I had a lot of fun learning with Parasoul/Valentine as a 2 person team.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so I'm trying to build a hitbox and I've got my case and what I think are all the parts I need. Thing is I have no idea of how wiring works at all and haven't done anything similar since I was 13 in school.

I've got a brook universal fighting board, sanwa buttons 20 Metre long insulated 2.8mm crimped wires and a 32 crimp connection daisy chain harness.

How on earth do I put this thing together, so far I've figure out the crimp connections on the wire connect to the buttons, but I'm at a complete loss as to 1. how the daisy chain interacts with the wires and 2. how the hell I actually put the things in the board.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Real hurthling! posted:

i found a diagram of a brooks pcb which might help

This I get, but I just don't understand wiring at all. Each button has two connectors, one I assume is the ground and the other is the actual button. So logically I wire each button to the place it's meant to go on the board, strip the wire and screw down the board so it's tight against the exposed wire and then I'm meant to use the daisy chain to deal with the ground. This is the part I don't understand since the daisy chains have crimps on either side so if I wire two buttons to each other, I've used up their ground slots and can't wire them anywhere else.

Edit: Oh poo poo that's how it works. I'm a moron.

Secondary question, can I just wire all my buttons to one ground?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 21, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I use one. I was trying to learn to Tiger knee yesterday on it and then I realised I could just input jump -> qcf quickly enough that I didn't need an input trick.

Also holy poo poo Guilty Gear is difficult. Millia's BnB stuff is harder than my hardest Laura combos in SFV.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Thanks! I spent all night thinking about it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Spuckuk posted:

Soul Calibur

It's worth learning Millia in Xrd so you can laugh outrageously when someone tells you any character in SFV* has strong mixups.

*Or any game really.

I come from the world of Laura where my mixups are, after elbow, normal throw, command throw or Cr. MP. Off a similar thing Milia has something like seven or eight different moves. It's madness.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Jesus christ. I understand that Guilty Gear might be a better game than SF but honestly when Ramlethal removes half my health in three hits and I have no idea of what's happened or how to block it, the game can go gently caress itself.

Half the reason I think GG never gains traction is that the actions happening on screen have no connection to the buttons being pressed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To elaborate:

When I jab in SFV with Ryu it looks like a jab. That is uniform across almost all characters. In GG a Jab is incredibly different across all characters so it's hard to interpret what's happening.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Out of any character in the game you can complain about, you complain about Ramlethal?

I have no context beyond that six of us have taken up GG and the Ramlethal player ruins everyone because he presses three buttons and takes half your health. I understand that at good levels of play this is balanced, but from the perspective of a beginner it's amazingly demoralising, to the point that at least some of my friends want to quit.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This just makes SFV look very bad and uninspired. Different characters should not have the exact same actions. It's a good thing that say Sol Bad Guy's LP is a punch while Ramlethal's LP is technically a kick. The point of fighting game button layouts is that light attacks do less damage but are faster and less risky, while the heavy attacks are much slower and riskier but do much more damage. In this department Guilty Gear checks out fine.

Consistency between characters is helpful for people who are new. Every jab is either 3 or 4 frames which is easy enough for me to understand and try to base a game around. GG feels like it's very different in this regard. (I could easily be wrong) You can say that's uninspired, but as long as the fights are interesting I'm okay with that.

I feel like people think I'm saying GG is bad. It's not, I know it's balanced at the highest levels. My friends and I are having a horrible time trying to learn the game and I wish it were a little more simple.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Smoking Crow posted:

Xrd is the simplified GG

I'm really beginning to suspect that I just shouldn't play the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, after a week or two of GG.

I'm struggling with IADs. I've managed to get a few off but I've no idea of how to do it consistently on my hitbox. The input seems to be 9, 8, 6 but Christ if that's not hard to do reliably.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AnonSpore posted:

On hitbox your iad input would be like 6 hold 8 release both 6

That is, 9 5 6

See this is what I thought, but every successful attempt showed an 8. gently caress it, more research tonight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Smoking Crow posted:

You just have to grind it out until you can do it

It took me a few hours to get it

It's annoying because it's such a core component of Millia's game and BnB combos. Still even with much more basic stuff I'm winning and doing what I want to more consistently, so that's good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Basically getting the correct piano for the IAD is fairly hard. The problem is if you're too fast, you'll get 9, 9 instead of 9, 5, 6. Also in my case it's hard to stop myself from accidentally tapping my thumb down a second time, giving me 9,5,9.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I was a fan of Hyper Dimension. It feels like they genuinely tried there.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Pokken is really boring to watch.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Elephunk posted:

Ivy's crouching triangle that flipped people out of the ring over her own head was the best.

My buddy was the best at baiting you to the edge and hitting with it.

Then he would tell "FLIP SAUNDERS" which I think is a football joke or something.

The number of memes my friends and I have for SC2 moves is staggering.

Favourites include individual names for all the moves that involve characters being hit in the dick and screaming "Bite to face" whenever Voldo lands a command grab.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It also bears mentioning that RE:7 came after the absolutely terrible RE:6 which no doubt did damage to the brand in many people's eyes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's me, I played Ivy in SC2.

It's because young me figured out how to set up Summon Suffering and taking half a life bar with a throw was absolutely hilarious. That and her air combos into Ivy Lick were sick.

Perhaps unsurprisingly I also played a tonne of Yoshimitsu where my only goal was to set up suicide combos.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

HMS Beagle posted:

Also who is the witch in Mortal Kombat? I think we may need to clarify our terms here.

Quan Chi.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

brainSnakes posted:

Voldo or bust.

And by that I mean if Voldo isn’t in Soul Calibur 6 i’m gonna play Ivy.

Only if he comes with Electric Hip Thrust.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I spent years as a kid thinking I couldn't play 2d fighters because I could never get the Hadouken/SRK motions to come out correctly on a stick. So I just played shittonnes of Smash and Soul Calibur instead. I also picked up playing 3rd strike and Alpha 2 on an emulator on my laptop. I must have sunk more time into those two games than anything else, just playing against the computer when I was bored.

Then SF4 came out on PC. Suddenly I had years of muscle memory built up from playing on my laptop that was ready set for a keyboard and lo and behold I was beating people. (Turns out, most relatively casual players have no idea what to do if you can throw out frame perfect tiger shots)

Most people in the thread will laugh but being able to play on a keyboard is basically what blew open 2D fighting games for me going forward. I just didn't have this giant execution barrier that young me had seen to hinder me any more. And turns out the psychology skills I'd picked up from my years of smash were transferable.

Fighting games have an absolutely immediate and obvious barrier where the solution is "You need to practice a shittonne." And the gains from your practice won't even be immediately obvious either because you'll have all this stuff memorised, take it into an actual fight and see it fail. And the worst part is that you have nobody to blame for any of this but yourself. If you're in this thread now, that part is a good thing, but most people don't take that pressure well.

Compare to LoL. Your major barrier isn't execution based, it's knowledge based. You get far more out of knowing how the heroes work than you necessarily do in a fighter and less based on your execution. So your method of improvement is easier, you do your schoolwork the same as you did when you were 15 and you do better because you select better heroes/more optimal items/more optimal rune builds. On top of that if you do lose, it's probably that scrub idiot who ran the wrong build right?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
God, I sometimes wonder what would have happened if you'd taken the absolute razor focus that young me had and told him the basics of how to play SF3 or something.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jmcrofts posted:

Realest talk: Tekken 7 is the best current-gen fighting game and it's not close

I want to like Tekken.

But as a 3d fighter it doesn't have a tale of souls and swords eternally retold.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zand posted:

I think kbd is trash too so I don't play tekken because the entire game is built around it's movement system

I think it's weird how some approach tekken with the attitude of wanting to change something so integral to it's essence. im glad nobody takes complaints like this seriously, same as complaints about combos in anime games

I think combo complaints are legit.

Arcsys make stellar fighting games, I'd like to see them make one that has execution closer to street fighter than guilty gear.

Okay what I really want is SfV but made competently.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Real hurthling! posted:

There are several good sf games

Yes.

But they don't have Laura.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah, that’s why they’re good

I'm talking about Laura before she was good.

Bad Laura is probably my favourite character ever in fighting games.

Edit: Scratch that, second favourite, my favourite is melee Peach.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Anyone been to the Winnerstayson stuff in London? I'm absolute garbage at DBFZ but it seems like it'd be a laugh to go this weekend.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

DLC Inc posted:

Clayfighter 63 1/3 at EVO when

Before Bio Freaks after Rakuga Kids

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AndyElusive posted:

If Def Jam Icon isn't on that Garbage EVO line up why are you even bothering with all this.

I'm still annoyed that Def Jam never had the Blazin' Squad.

Mainly for a super where every single member dealt a hit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
No just give me the Quan Chi leg beat fatality and I'm good.

Oh poo poo Quan Chi died for real in MKX.

Now who the hell do I play?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shiki Dan posted:

Filia is easily both the boring Skullgirls character in terms of gameplay and the worst design so I'd rather there be literally be anyone else.

It should be my girl Parasoul so they can capture the Wehraboo audience.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Well, alright then. There wasn't this strong of a response when I asked yesterday but I was able to cancel my order at least. I guess I'll go with the Hori RAPV Silent since I'd rather not get another more expensive stick on top of replacement silent sanwa components. Or just wait it out.

This sounds pretty fun though too, so I might do some more research into this. I appreciate the links!

Can confirm that even an idiot such as myself can make these things.

Well a hitbox anyway... with the button layout reversed.

So I guess you have proof that you can be a complete dullard and still make these things.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
GIVE ME TALIM OR GIVE ME DEATH.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kantesu posted:

I'll take her if she's SC2 good. I'd rather have no Talim than garbage Talim.

I'm sorry, they made another Soul Calibur since 2?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

IronicDongz posted:

it's so fuckin sick to see people who don't know anything about smash give their hot takes about rulesets

every item is extremely dumb because even basic throwable stuff is really fast+strong and gives you options you just wouldn't have before, and who gets it is pure RNG
more importantly who gives a poo poo how the game is "meant" to be played. game devs are not always right about their games

Okay aside from trolling about rulesets.

The games as they are take absolutely ages. They often overrun and poo poo up the remainder of the day for other games at Evo. The sets themselves aren't even that interesting to watch because we've seen 15 years of fox vs. falco iterations to the point that anything remarkable a player does has been done a thousand times before. The meta itself is completely stale as is the meta of competitive players in general. I mean sure, occasionally some madman will play Yoshi or Pikachu effectively but the top 8 at evo is the most stagnant set of a players I've ever seen in a game.

It's garbage to learn, since basically every character is off limits until you break your controller in a really specific way. And then after you've done that you then need to actually learn to break your hands enough to wavedash consistently. That or play Peach. Oh and it's also even worse as someone in a PAL territory because the game isn't even the same.

Melee was a great game. It is not a great game to have 15 loving years after its release on the main stage of Evo. Keep it quarantined on Saturday like they did at Evo 2016 and nobody will complain.

Also items should be on, because they're baller and not meaningfully different from Peach RNG on vegetables.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Spuckuk posted:

Who uses axes? Astaroth and Lizardman?

If Pastafroth is not in I will eat my pasta.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

This is going to be a stupid question but how similar is Soul Calibur to Tekken outside of them both being 3D fighters from the same publisher? Over the past month I've fallen in love with Tekken 7 and pretty much stopped playing any other fighter, but I'm curious if I should check out SC6 when it comes out or just keep focusing on one game. I've never played any of the other games in the series and am pretty new to 3D fighters but really enjoying them now.

Absolutely nothing like it.

Movement is completely different, juggle combos are incredibly limited. The entire weapon system means that footsie ranges are also completely different. That they both have Yoshimitsu is about as close as they get imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdahogyJCNI&t=928s

Ultra loving instinct.