Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zand posted:

missing stages and modes and you can't use the caster with it and the new netcode is worse than the caster

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
UNIEL feels more grounded, but also characters have some pretty insane tools. Like half the cast seems to have Chaos' j.H in some form or another

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
maxima is a legend

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Booyah- posted:

i can't pick one, so top 3 in no order

kof 98
gg xrd but i played more XX +R
ST

xx +r
rivals of aether
melty

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
bloodline champions

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NecroMonster posted:

ggac+
hyper fighting
ssb:melee

it's me i'm the worst person

thats a cool list

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NecroMonster posted:

he also uses smash bros as a "point of inspiration" and his game contains absolutely nothing of that either.

he's a disingenuous idiot rear end in a top hat

"inspired by smash bros" is the "roguelike elements" of multiplayer games, i can only think of like 2 games that have ever done it well

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

on the other hand, high tier competitive games have ways of actually punishing and blocking problematic players

there's a trade-off there

yeah when i talk to my friends who are involved in PC competitive games they're sorta blown away at the fact that the FGC has no like, central ruling body. it's just a completely foreign concept to them, where you can't really be "banned" like you could from most other games. the grassroots nature of the FGC is wonderful and getting to play irl with such a huge variety of people is something i never want to see go, but obviously there's advantages to having someone who can actually say "calling people faggots isn't acceptable and we're issuing a ban".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
monster hunter consistently improves with each game barring a hiccup or two along the way too

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is KoF14 getting a PC release

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i want to murder the shrugging guy emoticon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Comp tf2 is the smash of shooters

they're both cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean I feel Overwatch is good and all, but I don't get the hype. It is literally Team Fortress 2 but with meter management.

as someone who has played a significant amount of tf2 (and as much of a significant amount of OW one can play for a month-old game), they really arent that similar aside from being class-based shooters. that's like saying UNIEL is just Guilty Gear but with the grind grid

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
youmacon is a good anime con and actually has some decent fighting game players show up most of the time since detroit players are thirsty as gently caress for matches

be prepared to have all your friends say "lol sorry i don't want to get shot" when you recommend going to a detroit convention though because people are stupid

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NecroMonster posted:

see, detroit will make you cry

it's truly hell on earth

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It isn't nearly explosive enough to be DFO, which is a shame

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
replace melee with Rivals of Aether

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anime was right posted:

it still blows my mind that no one's tried to make melee but without stupid hard inputs for all the cool poo poo on a budget of more than six dollars and half a leftover burrito. updating melee with modern sensibilities and not saurakizing it would probably do well-ish so long as it had netcode.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/383980/

e: if you actually care I made an indepth thread for that game a while back, and they recently added an insanely good tutorial for teaching smash tech and the netplay is great

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743552

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is street fighter the only modern fighting game that people seem to think is getting worse with each release? Tekken people who post here seem excited about Tekken 7, all the anime games I follow seem to get better with each release barring the occasional bad one or at least stay solid, etc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
melty, cvs, windjammers, smash 64

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Happy Hedonist posted:

Give it to me straight people. If I want to get drunk and thrashed online while holding an expensive arcade stick, should I install sfv or buy the new gg? Do people actually play the latter or is it a ghost town? Tia.

You want to play Dungeon Fighter Online

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pomp posted:

Nintendo haters have broke brains imo

dont lump nintendo haters in with us proud broke brains please

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

franks "That's hilarious!" from tvc always cracks me up

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
someone buy me UNIEL and I'll play it with you and post my gratitude for all to see.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Glad to see Taskmaster getting work these days

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Play fighting games with the intention to improve for a week. Practice basic combos, deliberately stop jumping and work on anti-airing people, learn a simple frametrap. You'll still lose 19/20 games that week.

Then ask one of your garbage friends to play with you and you'll beat them 15/20 times and suddenly realize that you've actually improved! Grats. Now go lose a lot more.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rivals of Aether owns, agreed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The netcode feels a lot better than any other smash game I've played online (which is all of them both on consoles and Dolphin) and smash is a lot more forgiving with lag than traditional fighters. I live in Michigan and play people all over the east coast with no real significant lag unless they're an rear end using WiFi or something. But i also have a healthy local scene for PM and those people seem to take to it easily for whatever reason too. The discord runs nightly tournaments based on region, but from what I've seen most players are east.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

attackmole posted:

I think the dude who wrote the shoryuken fighting game primer jerks off a bit about it. I blame Sirlin for getting people into dumb philosophising and analogies instead of just playing. Pro DOTA players don't try to explain how they follow the bushido code.
Pros in any game don't do that, it's the mediocre or bad people who do. That poo poo happens all the time in the Overwatch thread, it happened in the TF2 thread, I have little doubt it happens in the Lol, hearthstone, CoD, and every other competitive game thread

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if it's blue, it'll do

if it's red, better off dead

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

anyway i dont play poverty fighters, i play good games

http://ascii-middle-finger.com/

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's by French Bread right? It looks like RBO which is a sick game so it's probably badass

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
hopefully no one here has Ballz, it sucks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

i attend smash events on the reg and am in a bunch of smash fb groups and ive never heard any of this

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i have been very honest about my shame

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Real hurthling! posted:

what do people do with the skullgirls team/assist system? did the meta move in a particular direction or are teams with 1 character just as common as teams with 2 or 3?

they arent just as common but there's definitely some solo players. most are 2 and 3 though.

e: basically there's some characters who do well as solo characters, and others who don't. so if you want to have a good solo "team" you have to play one of the former, whereas there's a lot more characters who work well in 2 or 3s

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

yes

she's a grappler and the slime blob gets big buff arms to throw people around
ah3 is so cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i tried to find woofycake's old ah3 vids a few weeks ago but I couldn't. that's been my arcana heart experience for the past 3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
thank you