Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

K. Waste posted:

The expectation that any North American film productions will be very diverse overall is empirically incompatible with the U.S. being a white supremacist, capitalist oligarchy. Ghost in the Shell is just a movie. It is commercial film production (and capitalism) overall which is utilitarian-rationalist, racist, sexist, ageist, and ableist.

True, that's just the way it is, no point even talking about or expecting better. Great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you mean the character's 'actual' race, then Major's race - as Milky Moor pointed out - is 'Anime'. The major in 1995 is specifically designed to be a generic Asian-ish character who is mass-producible and easily marketable to Americans overseas. (Just swap the hairstyles!) If we were to merely translate the anime to live-action, Motoko Kusanagi would look like this:

Objectively wrong. They intentionally redesigned her for the 1995 movie to not look like this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If that was the intention, then they failed. Major's 'parents' are a multinational corporation called Megatech Body. Her race was custom-designed for sale in various markets.

We see an identical Woman sitting at a table in Hong Kong. Is that woman originally Chinese? And what is the puppetmaster's origin? It doesn't particularly matter. The advance of computerization is gradually wiping out nations and ethnic groups. These three characters all have the same race: Anime.

Weird I feel like I've heard this line of thought somewhere...

http://perezhilton.com/2017-03-28-scarlett-johansson-gma-interview-ghost-in-the-shell-whitewashing-planned-parenthood-politics

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Even in NYC there are quite a few theaters that have completely dropped Ghost in the Shell already, it's crazy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm less down on Ghost in the Shell and more just surprised that what is sold as a sci-fi action movie starring Scarlett Johansson with a lot of marketing is already going away. Like Lucy made crazy money and was around here for an absurdly long time. I've been really critical of a lot of aspects of the movie's production throughout this thread I'm not going to act like I wasn't, but I genuinely expected it to do really well just from the combination of Scarlett Johansson + sci-fi stuff + action movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Literally any action taken at any time for any reason that is not the action of making an ideological reading a movie that concludes that its socioeconomic goal is an endorsement of Marxism is a crime.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

There were a lot of differences from Superman to Hancock. That would be like calling Chappie a complete copy of Short Circuit 2.

You're talking to the person who argued in earnest that The Watchmen is a remake of Jurassic Park.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tias posted:

I don't know anything about Iron Fist, but I'm guessing the argument was about cultural appropriation? Those always go completely off the rails.

I don't mean to also take this off the rails, but not a lot of people were calling Iron Fist whitewashing. Iron Fist was just setting itself up to be pointless and suck rear end by being yet another white savior kind of story.

Iron Fist is awful for many reasons though and, honestly, some of them may have been fixed if they considered casting an Asian or Asian-American person in the role. As it stands now though:

-The character is totally redundant in Netflix Marvel. Daredevil is already a cocky relatively well to do lanky white guy who is a master martial artist thanks to being trained by a good ninja master (who is played by Scott Glenn, who is awesome) and is the arch-enemy of both NYC crime lords and the evil ninja magic clan that controls them while being a vague rear end in a top hat to everyone around him at all times. And he's awesome, Danny Rand as they chose to develop him for this show brings nothing new to the table.

-***LEWIS TAN*** auditioned for Iron Fist but they decided that it would be inaccurate to not have Rand be white. He got to play a minor foe towards the end of the show though. All the biggest bads in Netflix Marvel are treacherous foreign Asian conspirators and dragon ladies. That's not whitewashing, but in a series of shows where Asian people = evil foreign invaders out to sell drugs to fund their vague magic plans, it's kind of lame. Daredevil season 2's ongoing mystery was literally "why are evil blood magic ninjas digging a hole to China in our fair city?"

-The guy they got to play Rand was given three weeks of training and given no fight choreography info until fifteen minutes before each fight scene was being made. Again not whitewashing, but the character is still written, and still plays it like he's the most awesome chosen one in town and an amazing person while appearing visibly nervous and incompetent most of the time and getting regularly outacted by every single person around him. Again that's not whitewashing, the woman that plays Colleen is just as awful, but it's a major lack of planning to take a martial arts action hero character who navigates a magical martial arts action world and then....make the casting and development decisions that they did.

-The show's plot is a lot like the second half of Daredevil season 2 where it's a story about white people navigating this magical alien world of generic evil Asian cult stuff. But without Daredevil's much better action scenes or someone holding up a lot of it like Elodie Yung's Elektra (who is fuckin' awesome, does her own stunts and fighting, she had actually auditioned for Wonder Woman in BvS also), and with its script being about these wonderful super rich white people that would be doing great things if only the evil Asian people didn't get their hooks into them, it comes off as just stupid, like it may as well be a Fu Man Chu show. It basically made me want to see a series just about Colleen and Rosario Dawson's characters instead.

Anyway I don't think any of the people that made Iron Fist wake up every morning like "drat I can't wait to be a bigot!" and I can understand why, in the world of social media impressions and 140 character limits some people would just say Iron Fist is a lovely whitewashing and call it a day, but there really is something to be said about how lovely the show is and how much of that shittiness comes from the kind of story they wanted to tell being inherently a by the numbers white savior one by wanting to keep Rand white. That combined with Rand's actor/writer making him an idiotic, uninteresting buffoon also makes Iron Fist MASSIVELY awful in comparison to the other three seasons of stuff we've gotten so far.

I think it was just a mistake on every level to even bother making an Iron Fist series. And them giving the same "why this isn't controversial at all" "I had no idea this would be a thing" etc. boilerplate responses makes everyone involved look dumb as hell.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 24, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was referring to the actor's attempted performance and delivery vs the total lack of ability we see on screen. There's several points where the show hits the brick wall of "this dude just sucks" in moments done in such a way where we're clearly supposed to be impressed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Boss Baby made nearly half a billion dollars worldwide, almost three times as much as Ghost In The Shell. It was hugely popular.

Paramount could take note, they didn't change the ethnicity of the main character from the picture books.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I still think paramount started the whitewashing rumors to get people not to see it themselves.

They did a great job.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I just meant the new film. I always just assumed the 1995 movie was in Japan.

All of the manga take place in "New Port City" or Niihama in the Japanese versions, which is an actual city in Japan. It's a quiet, small old mining town in the real world but they figured after massive wars, huge geopolitical shifts, etc. its location would basically make it the new biggest city in Japan.

The 1995 movie is intentionally murky about this, it is also in New Port City but they explicitly used Hong Kong as a reference guide for all of the movie, even maintaining the same kanji on signs and stuff because they wanted it was a place that (due to back story stuff) was filled with basically a diaspora of immigrants from Hong Kong for years. It technically is still in the same place but the borders/everything in Ghost in the Shell's world is significantly different from how it is today, like the US no longer exists and there are three different countries within what were the US' borders, etc.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Japanese audiences (being extremely general here) didn't really care about the casting choice because it's not like there's a shortage of roles for Japanese people in Japanese movies, and ever since that became "news" via some entertainment site articles we've seen people use that as a cudgel against Asian American actors getting big roles in Hollywood and to act like only white "SJWs snowflakes" had a problem with it. It's so loving stupid.

• Locked thread