Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Wank posted:

a) I don't get the problem with Scarjo - Is the Major "Japanese"? She is a cyborg.

Except, again, that defense falls flat because the film studio admitted they tried to use CGI to make the actors "look more Asian" instead of just hiring Asian actors. Also the story of pretty much every GitS plot line is heavily tied to Japan's political situation and the military's place in Japanese society and the world at large post WW2.

The whole white washing situation is bullshit, but in this case it's also a Canary in the mine situation where it's pretty obvious that the studio is just using the GitS property to sell a lovely action movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make a "hacking" scene where the "hacking" is shown as some BS martial arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Katreus posted:

If people are wondering how GITS characters would look like Japanese in real life, there's currently a stage play going on in Japan for GITS Arise:

That's a great Aramaki. Could be a little shorter and skinnier, but dudes got the face down pat.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

EvilElmo posted:

I really don't think I would have watched this movie, didn't matter who they cast.

Has Hollywood ever done a good movie based on manga/anime/remake of another countries movie?

The Departed was good. A lot of people think that Edge of Tomorrow is good.

Western Adaptations seem to work best when they take the basic premise of their target and actually, ya know, adapt it. Which is to say: Adaptations work when you actually adapt them.

You didn't know that The Departed was a remake of a Hong Kong crime drama (maybe, I didn't at first) because they didn't try and just remake the original and hire white actors to play Chinese characters. They took the important details of the story, and put it someplace that American audiences would connect with.

Edge of Tomorrow, similarly, didn't have Tom Cruise play a scrawny, Japanese, greenhorn Private in the JDF who suddenly finds himself reliving the same day over and over again. They took the most important plot points - soldier resets at the same point every time he dies, the enemy's powers, a few notable personal relationships - and then made their own movie that deviates as needed so that it appeals to a western audience.

Off the top of my head, and before heading out to work, I can't think of any other recent and notable examples. This GitS movie however is going the route of the lazy remake. You can easily do a western adaptation of GitS. I mean poo poo, someone else already posted the Wachowski's filmography and showed that they've basically been doing just that in all but name their whole career. A big part of GitS is the Ship of Theseus paradox. When does Major Kusanagi stop being human? Or does she? The idea of human augmentation and human essence is easily doable from a western perspective. You just have to replace the Japanese political theater with something else. And as with The Departed, that's totally doable as well.

BUUUuuuut, we're just getting an action movie with an expensive name slapped on it. Because this is a cashgrab where no one involved actually gives a poo poo about the source material.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So I don't know how many of you know of Freddie Wong (aka FreddieW of rocket jump on youtube), but he made a video friday about the CGI yellowface.

And he is really, really mad about it (rightfully so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXEUh61o18c

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Do you have inside knowledge on this movie? As far as I know, all we know about this film is some of the cast, that one picture, and that brief plot synopsis which doesn't even say if the film is set in Japan or if ScarJo is playing a character called "Motoko Kusanagi". But you're completely writing it off based on...?

Personally, the fact that Beat Takeshi is involved suggests to me that this won't be the cashgrab you've already decided it will be.

Incidentally, have there been any examples of actual Japanese people in Japan being upset about this?

They have said that ScarJo is playing Motoko, but they are only referring to her as "The Major", according to one of the stories earlier. And as far as me writing it off: The main reason for that is that there is nothing here to give me a reason to assume otherwise. The director is a literal nobody with 1 major credit that was nothing more than fairy tale action movie. They went with a meaningless casting decision for the biggest role. At best they probably thought "Oh hey, it's a bad-rear end woman character. Just get that Black Widow Chick". Then they balked at that idea when they caught wind of people being upset for the standard white washing that hollywood does, but instead of anyone actually giving a poo poo they decided to try and use loving yellowface to make it better, so that they didn't have to worry about recasting anything and lose potentially both crowd draw and contract guarantees to the actors they're cutting loose. Not to mention any reshoots that potentially might need doing.

I said it previously, but this is no one's passion project. Looking through the credits we have on IMDB, the only person actually connected to GitS is Masamune Shirow, which is a writing credit, and I don't really buy that he's been given any amount of real control and is probably listed as a writer only because he wrote the source material. The producers, aside from Mitsuhisa Ishkawa, is just a grab bag of financiers. But a lot of their future projects seem to be full of other anime adaptations so that is also a negative. Seeing these guys trying to make a western live action Naruto as well as a western live action GitS does not inspire confidence. It makes me think "Hmm, someone thinks this is going to be big easy money to just take a bunch of manga and make movies out of them".

And as far as the story? I think it's just going to be bare minimum window dressing. You have a writer from Straight Outta Compton and the guy who wrote the screenplay for Street Kings (?). That doesn't inspire confidence. They're going to be given a list of characters, the outline of what GitS was or some mishmash of plot points, a demo reel of fight scenes and action CGI that's already done, and be told to glue it together. Probably with a dialogue and screen time minimum spreadsheet for the various actors/actresses.

Ultimately: I'm just really cynical about this. But I'm sure it's going to look beautiful. I'm sure you're favorite who's playing Aramaki is going to play his role very well. I don't think it'll save anything since he's not being given any real creative control. He's just an actor. I'm sure the cinematography will also be pretty good. They got the guy who worked on Hot Fuzz. In the end, it's going to be a not bad summer action flick. But it's not going to be a good GitS live action movie.

And I would have been way more alright with it if they hadn't tried to put people in CGI Yellowface. It's like, if you give me a Big Mac for lunch that's fine. I'll eat it. But don't then piss on it and expect me to evaluate it the same way.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

And as for the CGI asian thing, they said it was only going to be for a single character in a single scene or something. The story has ballooned out that they were going to CGI the entire cast into asians.

Hmmm. It seems that there's some updates and the various studios and effects groups are now playing the PR game

From the Screen Crush article posted:

[UPDATE 4/18/16: Thomas Nittmann, VFX Producer and Managing Partner at Lola VFX told us an in an e-mail, “Lola was not / has not been contracted to do VFX work on the film Ghost in the Shell.”]

Ghost in the Shell opens in theaters on March 31, 2017.

[UPDATE: An earlier headline specifically mentioned actress Scarlett Johansson. Despite Paramount’s denial, we stand by the assertion that visual effects tests were performed on Ms. Johansson’s character and likeness.]

So when I read it they were saying it was multiple actors and ScarJo, then they said it was just a "background" character. Now the VFX group is saying no work was contracted to them, but the Studio is still saying it was Lola. And Screen Crush says they stand by the initial report.

I'll back track and say I hope this get's sorted out. I don't really want to hate on this movie something that didn't happen.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

It just seems like you're damning this film based on no information. Race aside, I think that Johannson is an excellent choice for Kusanagi - she's obviously got the action chops, and Under the Skin showed that she can give off a very otherworldly quality that would befit a cyborg. And beyond that it's not like the crew are famous for clunkers or anything. There's no reason to just assume they will be terrible.

I didn't say it would be terrible. I said it'd be a mediocre, if pretty, action flick that would have been fine on it's own without slapping the GitS name to it.

You seem to be optimistic about them making a good GitS movie and I'm pessimistic about them making a bad GitS movie, but otherwise bland action movie.

And as echo chamber said: Paramount lies to protect their films. There is clearly a lot of cross talk going on between Lola VFX, Paramount back tracking to say it was just 1 actor, and the movie news sights saying a variety of other things.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Where were all these weird racial purity people when America made a Speed Racer movie with an all white main cast and even cast a Korean as the lone Asian character.

Not really a direct corollary. Speed Racer is just ~~~****AnImE****~~~ without any setting to nail down race or ethnicity. While whitewashing is still bad in that case, it's not really as heavily tied to a Japanese identity.

Plus that was (I feel old now) 8 years ago. A lot has changed by way of public discourse since then. If people did care there probably wasn't much posted because the internet was an even shittier place then.

By the way: Why are you asking?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Actually, the setting of Mach GoGoGo (マッハGoGoGo) is uniquely and explicitly Japanese because :goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

Nice meltdown. :smug:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

And again: it's not being singled out for whitewashing, it's being singled out for (maybe?) using cgi yellowface.

There are plenty of recent examples of people speaking out against Hollywood whitewashing roles/stories, and not even exclusively in regards to Asian roles. Someone else already mentioned Aloha, where they decided that Emma Stone of all people could pass for half Hawaiian half Japanese. There's Tilda Swinton playing a vaguely Asian super monk in Dr. Strange. Then last year or so we saw people speaking out against Stonewall and Suffragette. Which were supposed to be historical dramas that decided to invent white characters who didn't exist, or who weren't the main focal character in reality, for the leading roles.

So if you're thinking this is a one off and the detractors are only complaining because of some vague Pan-Asian sentiment or just because "muh anime" then you're not paying attention.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Because the alternative is that Hollywood has a secret desire to cast white people in films as asians [snip]

Well...for most of Hollywood's history this was true.

And it wasn't secret.

And it's pretty much still the case.

Also the Sony leaks prove that Movie execs are really racist in how they deal with movies and their stars. So it's really not that much of a stretch to think that they'd just want the star power of an A list celeb, but also have her be "asian".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

They already put out a promotional pic of Johansson looking white before this CGI thing even came out for God's sake :psyduck:

There's no timeline of when the CGI yellowface was being done/ordered for consideration. Plus the amazing thing about CGI is: You can do well after principal photography has completed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

If you think that there was ever a plan, at any time, to put slanty eyes on ScarJo for the whole movie then you are crazy.

Counter-point: Ben Barnes, white as the driven snow and English as all gently caress, was picked up to play the role of a full blooded Colombian in "The Big Wedding". A fairly large production with DeNiro and Robin Williams. They basically put him in Brown face by giving him a spray tan and a Dark Dye job to make him look "Colombian". That was only 3-ish years ago. Hollywood is still not past the point where idiot producers/directors know better than to try and fudge a preferred actor's racial identity instead of just hiring someone of that identity.

I don't see it as much of a stretch that they'd just try and fudge it "a little" in GitS's case.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

"casting a no-name white actor as a probably-mostly-ethnically-Spanish supporting character in a Katherine Heigl movie" =/= "yellowing up the second-highest-paid actress in the world for a leading role"

See I wanna call trolling on this because Ben Barnes is far from some no-name actor. He's was one of the leads, and in one movie the lead of the leads, in the Narnia Series. He played Prince/King Caspian. And in The Big Wedding played one of the leading roles as well. He's half of the drat focus of the story for christ's sake.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But even if there were a full-fledged secret plot to eliminate the Asian race from media, they didn't act on those thoughtcrimes. So why are people upset?

Because part of it is "Once again, business as usual. Hollywood just wants to hire white actors/actresses regardless of role" level exasperation. The other part is that people don't believe for a second that their reasoning for cancelling it was "This is the wrong thing to do" but rather "Oh god this is so bad that no only will we not get away with it but it makes A. Wyatt Mann cartoons look nuanced and ethical by comparison".

Crain fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 19, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

I didn't see The Big Wedding and I'm pretty sure no one else did either so I'll take your word for it

Regarding the no name thing, I just did a straw poll of my office (one of whom actually saw Prince Caspian) and no one had a clue who Ben Barnes was

A truly representative poll. You're doing terrific.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

n=5 if we're being scientific

Lmao.

Anyway I will say this: I want to be surprised. I was surprised by Edge of Tomorrow. Which, sans potential yellowface, kind of started out similar to how GitS is with people complaining that they're totally missing the point of the Manga and just going to make a bad movie.

But they did a good job adapting it in the end. So who knows. It's just really not looking like anyone is trying though, and to me we've already seen a few mine canaries fall dead.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I've been rewatching GitS:SAC 2nd gig lately and I wouldn't be surprised, given world events right now, if they crib a lot from this series. The refugee situation in the second series is probably the best story to use to make the movie feel deeper and bit more relevant to today, although it would get more mileage in Europe than the US.

Even if they just use it in the background it'd be a good choice.

As an aside though: it's kinda funny that a show from 12 years ago has a story line that is heavily relevant today. Everything old is new.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I'm pretty sure a plotline that tries to make fanatical Islamic refugee terrorists look like not the bad guy wont go over so well in America.

That's why they wouldn't do it like that. This movie isn't like the movies or the anime series. It's not going to be a vehicle for someone to spend far too many words on personal philosophy. Or at least nothing heavier than what you can get from a Nolan movie.

But you could use the refugee situation as a macguffin without going so far as to just spend 2 hours going "THESE AREN'T REALLY THE BAD GUYS". I mean, beyond the individual 11 and a few plot relevant refugees we never really spend a lot of time on the specifics of their situation. Unless they do and I've forgotten since the last time I watched it.

You can leave them as generic "Asian Refugees" or just plain "Refugees" or come up with another random disaster to use as a proper noun for them that sounds wide spread enough to justify them being there.

But the synopsis doesn't make it sound like that's the case. They'll probably focus more heavily on the Movies than the anime series.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Well at least they are going to have the Batou eyes. Although they seem to be using them as some kind of glasses instead of implants.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

I have the feeling that there are a lot of unfinished special effects in the trailer.

I mean this is the suit she is wearing in multiple scenes, and it looks like a white leotard in some and cool and fleshy in others.

Yeah that looks way better than the initial "steps out of invis" clip. Most of my problems with that footage is that it just looks to glaring and obviously green screened. But it seems that's getting fixed in the end.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The films are so much better than the manga that it's crazy that they're related at all.

Yeah, and then there's Shiros other work, especially the later stuff, being really....well pervy and hosed up.

I'm glad the movies and tv shows were only based on his idea and not controlled by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

HIJK posted:

He did contribute script ideas to the first season of SAC apparently.

Yeah, but much like Lucas is being most useful when you have a room of people to shut down his worst ideas, I'm glad he wasn't in control.

He has good ideas, they just seem to get wrapped up with really bad ones more often than I'd like.

• Locked thread