Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Corek posted:

‘Ghost in the Shell’ Producers Reportedly Tested Visual Effects That Would Make Scarlett Johansson, White Actors Appear Asian

http://screencrush.com/ghost-in-the-shell-whitewashing-scarlett-johnasson-vfx/

According to multiple independent sources close to the project, Paramount and DreamWorks commissioned visual effects tests that would’ve altered Scarlett Johansson in post-production to “shift her ethnicity” and make the Caucasian actress appear more Asian in the film.

It’s the latest, and most extreme, case of “beauty work,” the new trend in Hollywood to discreetly use visual effects to tweak an actor’s appearance, making them thinner, younger or stronger. The Ghost in the Shell tests were conducted by Lola VFX, the same company that aged up (and down) Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and is considered the industry leader in so-called beauty work. Though the tests were requested by the production team, once they were developed and reviewed, the idea was rejected “immediately,” says an insider.

Insane, however I do hope they use some visual trickery to make her look less human and more "uncanny valley". In the manga they even point out that her cyborg body is designed to look like a cheap, off-brand model, and not a top-of-the-line military model.

I want them to go all-in on her and other cyborgs being weird and creepy as hell. Even small things like that one scene in Stand Alone Complex where she waves her fingers in a inhumanely accurate and precise way to check if the hand works properly. Have them go through weird booting sequence whenever they wake up in the morning. Show them using eye drops since the cyborg bodies aren't equipped to clean the eyeballs/cameras. Hell, I would watch a movie based on the chapter in the manga where they show off how a civilian cyborg is made, complete with detailed explanations on what a cyborg is and isn't capable off doing.

Hell, include the villain using a model that's so old it can't emote properly so he doesn't even bother opening his mouth when speaking. Just go nuts with the premise!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

phasmid posted:

Somebody already mentioned cyborgs having to use eyedrops since they hadn't perfected synthetic tear ducts. That must've been in SAC 1 or 2nd, don't remember it from the movies.

I might have been unclear, but that was just something I made up. I'm a sucker for stories where cyborgs aren't just super strong humans and there actually are drawbacks to it.

EDIT: That reminds me of one scene in the show where a boy refuses to undergo 'cyborg procedure' unless they prove to him he'll be able to fold paper cranes afterwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgico_Psbgk

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 17, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Katreus posted:

If people are wondering how GITS characters would look like Japanese in real life, there's currently a stage play going on in Japan for GITS Arise:

Ol' apeface made me laugh (in a good way), but this is a genuinely great Borma.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Clipperton posted:

I want to watch the 1995 movie again now, should I look for the original version or go with the "2.0" version where they made it look more like Innocence?

The CGI in 2.0 looks terrible. I'd go for the original.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Clipperton posted:

Ironically the actual PS1 GITS game had a much better intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0UBycyZb6w

I'll always prefer the Fuchikoma to the Tachikoma.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Funny thing is that even as a stupid kid I realized something was off about the edited GiTS. You only see the first drawing of the sex scene, which shows one of the girls entering the VR boat, and it's heavily edited so it looks like they're just sunbathing.

Then the next page shows Batou interrupting the Major, and writing around clutching his stomach, complaining about "sea-sickness". Then he gets cyber hacked by a visibly embarrassed Major. The pacing feels way off and it's pretty obvious you missed something.

But considering it's the only one in the whole book, I'd say it's not a terrible loss.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 22, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Oshii didn't even create the characters. The movie definitely influenced how the Major was characterized in the show though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
ARISE completely lost me after the episode where the military guy who was on trouble for slaughtering civilians turned out to be innocent because the civilians were actually all out to kill him, including the child. OORAH

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, that's the one. Ripped right off from the Tommy Lee Jones-Samuel L. Jackson movie Rules Of Engagement.

That's exactly what I thought off when I watched the episode. I don't think I've ever been more pissed off at a Hollywood movie.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The manga even says that her original gender is unknown since basically noone knows who she actually is and the manga never tells.

In Stand Alone Complex (a separate kanon) she's definitely female, though. I doubt a hospital would randomly switch their patients' outward gender.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

phasmid posted:

The problem with transhumanism is that its adherents seem to think they are important enough to be worthy of immortality. If anything, these tales are cautionary.

In the manga turning into a cyborg is literally an extreme form of cosmetic surgery. Military cyborgs like the major are in the minority. A whole chapter is dedicated to explaining the process. This while old people who can't afford the process or to retire to somewhere warm are thrown out into the street together with the trash.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Young Freud posted:

Fake edit: Oh man, rereading that chapter, I forgot how casual racist Deunan was.

Shirow's protags tend to be a bit controversial. The Major has this bit in the manga where she sees a protest against extrajudicial killings and is all 'Those plebs don't know what they're talking about, pathetic'. Leona from Tank Police would mow down semi-peaceful protesters on several occasions if her partner weren't actually a sane person.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This is the only good thing that came out of ARISE. https://youtu.be/aGgkQgs9f4A

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I don't get the idea that the movie introduced philosophy to Gits. first movie's plot is a patchwork of plots and ideas from the first Manga. The latter parts of the Manga definitely went all in on the philosophy aspect. It's just that the movie removed 99% of the humor and made the major nude half the time. I love them both equally.

The tank scene definitely is more "bad-rear end silly action movie" in the manga, though.

• Locked thread