Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Maybe I missed someone answering it with all the white-washing discussion, but has there been a live-action anime movie that has done reasonably well (read: drawn in audiences that would actually know the source anime from any of other anime)?

I guess I can't wrap my head around the existence of this movie on a fundamental level. From what little I half-remember, there's not a great audience for an authentic adaptation, but if you go the take-a-hose-and-rinse-off-all-the-anime route, you're going to catch hell about white-washing and cultural appropriation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Lots of the complaints are coming from working Asian American actresses, who have literally never been offered a role that big in 100+ years of Hollywood and likely never will before they retire.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, and that's a legitimate issue, but it doesn't seem like this particular character is that good of a place for that battle. Tilda Swinton getting cast as the ancient one, OK, that I get completely why it's a problem. But Kusanagi arguably doesn't have a race. It's like complaining about the race of the voice actor for Shodan in a system shock remake.

I mean, race is a social construct, not a physical trait, and the character thus far has always been portrayed as socially and physically Japanese. If they want to make the point that race is superficial and irrelevant, part of the shell and not the ghost, then the fact that they could never have made this film without casting a pretty white girl as the lead kind of betrays that hypothesis.

I do think that Tilda Swinton doing her best David Carradine impression is the worse of the two, but Ming Na Wen is the one who got the ball rolling here and she's on Marvel's payroll.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Maybe they're making the point that it isn't but it should be.

By making it worse? The way to make that point would be to cast an Asian lead and CGI her white.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
Maybe the effects are still in production? The lighting is beyond terrible and makes no sense with the backdrop.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

K. Waste posted:

They're going for Under the Skin meets Predator, and it's working. She's like a fleshy, puzzle-pieced doll emerging from a television screen of an emerald city.

Somehow I seriously doubt that's a screen-accurate aspect ratio.

Her suit doesn't look at all fleshy, at least in that lighting. And I dislike the use of Predator shimmer during the fight sequence. In the the original it looks like the bad guy is tearing himself apart, to reflect his shattered consciousness.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
I'm surprised this is coming out on Friday. Shouldn't early reviews have started coming in today?

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In my case? Two things:

-For people complaining to actually demonstrate an understanding of antiracist politics.

-For people complaining to demonstrate an ability to read the film(s) in question and incorporate antiracism into their interpretation(s).

Casting Scarlet Johansson to deliver an antiracist message seems about as effective as spending $100m+ on an anticapitalist Hollywood blockbuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right - that's what K.Waste is mocking . It's not about 'whitewashing' at all, but about unexamined notions of (in this case) ethno-national purity.

This means Japanese characters belong in Japan, and Japanese characters do not belong in America because America is multicultural and therefore Japanese identity is subordinate to American identity. It is even more regressive!

Authentic criticism of whitewashing would involve asking: why can't David Fincher's Seven have an all-Asian cast? Why can't Epic Movie? Authentic criticism would also celebrate the 'progressive' casting in movies that you dislike - like Catwoman or Ballistic: Ecks Versus Sever. This never happens because, again, the complaints are actually based on weird psychosexual hangups and not any sort of egalitarian project.

The people who are critical of whitewashing absolutely do both of these, but the backlash is usually pretty severe and the criticism never gets any traction. It's come up recently with the Coen brother's new movie, the new Harry Potter thing, and Tim Burton being Tim Burton. But if Hollywood won't even cast Asian actors into ostensibly Asian roles, maybe getting them to cast Asian actors into neutral roles is a bridge too far for the moment.

• Locked thread