Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wank
Apr 26, 2008
a) I don't get the problem with Scarjo - Is the Major "Japanese"? She is a cyborg.

b) I have only seen the first GitS and nothing else. And everything I love about that movie won't be done in a Hollywood movie. First off, nudity needs to be made "meh" (which is actually my only issue with Scarjo - will she run around naked when going invisible? Will the camera be obviously trying to avoid her nudity?).

The scenes I love are the more quiet ones, the one where the hacker gets away from Batou in the market and is running down the abandoned street and he is actually looking around here and there with the downtempo music. The scene on the boat. The AMAZING battle between Major and the tank, one of my all time favourite movie sequences. Amazing for it's feeling of one person v machine, again with downtempo music and the whole thing feeling tense and real. No way a Hollywood movie keeps anything like that in them. The meditative feel of GitS is it's main strength and without it will be just another lame action sci fi movie like the new robocop or total recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Correct. A Japanese cyborg. From Japan. Who works for the Japanese government and whose appearance is designed to allow her to fit in in Japan.

Ehh. I always thought they were juxtapositioning the look of the cybernetic Section 9 members against normal "Japanese" people as part of the point of the movie. Like how Batou doesn't look Japanese, I didn't think the Major looked Japanese. They are "otherworldly" in their society. Whereas the background people in the city certainly did look Japanese. To be fair, I have not seen the movie since the 90s, but that is what I took away. Anyway, I don't know how any of this matters to a fictional story. Did anyone complain that Akira Kurosawa didn't cast any Scottish actors in Throne of Blood?

• Locked thread