Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah I'm sure that all those shows set in Japan with Japanese characters speaking Japanese are drawn to look like whitey

The average viewer (especially children) watch the dubbed version of Animé shows. Often, there are at most only a few spoken links to Japan and in dubs those get filtered out. It also doesn't help that most (meaningful) onscreen text in most popular anime's is written in english.

The average person on these forums and other anime forums might be aware of this, but to the average viewer does not. There's a reason why you see stuff like "I like animé a lot, but why does Japan make cartoons about Caucasian people?" pop up from time to time on various boards. The average human in an animé show doesn't look distinctively Asian, period. It's also why animé got so much traction in the west, because people (and especially children) can identify themselves with them.

Batham fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

HorseLord posted:

Here is "distinctive Asian enough" for white people not to assume drawings of Japanese people in Japan made by other Japanese people are of white people.

Throwing a tantrum isn't going to change the reality about it.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Arguing "they are not drawn specifically Asian, and are instead broad analogue more than one person can relate to" is one thing, arguing that they they're actually white people is something else.

Again, animé characters are broad enough to be identified as several racial groups, Caucasians being one of them. The differences that are often brought up, e.g. differences in the way the jawline are drawn, mean little to nothing to the average viewer or anyone that has ever been specifically told that information.

Tell me, without doing a google image search or anything like that, what the image below is supposed to represent along with your reasoning behind it.

Is this person a Caucasian or Asian? I can guarantee you one thing, it's not possible for the average person or child to differentiate the two for a character drawn like this.

Snowman_McK posted:

Animated characters are never one to one with reality anyway, in terms of intent. The Simpsons have already been mentioned, but American Dad, Family Guy and even Frozen use body and face proportions that are basically impossible, and that's fine because they're symbolic representations of people.

Yes, but cartoons like that play into exaggerated facial features to differentiate racial groups. The average face in an animé doesn't do this.

Batham fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 18, 2016

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

HorseLord posted:

The extremely stylized nature of the artwork does not incorporate racial markers, but that does not mean that the character in question has an unknown nationality.

This has been explained, several times now. The cast of Ghost in the Shell are Japanese. Marge Simpson is a white American. It is right there, in the story.

Again, that is mostly irrelevant for most mainstream Animé due to dubbing and that most on screen text is written in the latin alphabet. Very rarely does a spoken line or direct reference to Japan, ever come up in Animé.

Snowman_McK posted:

Ah, yes. Like how in Frozen, Elsa has the racial marker of her eyes being a foot across, so we know she's Swedish.

Not all forms of animation try to differentiate through exaggerated facial features, nor did I ever claim that they did.

HorseLord posted:

草薙 素子: I am a Japanese person from Japan. I have lived here my whole life. I work for the Japanese government.

Batham: They didn't draw any slitty eyes how can i tell

You are being really dense right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Batham fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 18, 2016

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

IGN posted a 2 minute clip of the shelling sequence in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5amv-vqUFo

edit:

Ok, just saw that it's a couple of days old. Sorry. Leaving it here in case anyone else has missed it.

The fact that they use the music from the original movie makes me believe at least a little bit that someone on the project at least cares a little about the original ghost in the shell.

• Locked thread