Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Maybe I missed someone answering it with all the white-washing discussion, but has there been a live-action anime movie that has done reasonably well (read: drawn in audiences that would actually know the source anime from any of other anime)?

I guess I can't wrap my head around the existence of this movie on a fundamental level. From what little I half-remember, there's not a great audience for an authentic adaptation, but if you go the take-a-hose-and-rinse-off-all-the-anime route, you're going to catch hell about white-washing and cultural appropriation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

live-action anime movie

I'm trying to find something that reasonably gauges how much of a market there is for the sort of adaptation we're discussing here.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Right, but I'd argue that the draw/reception (financially, first and foremost) of an anime movie and an anime-based live action movie are apples and oranges. Adapt the movie 'accurately', and you'll get the half-a-million-according-to-box-office-mojo returns. Adapt it for a broader audience, and people will kvetch over it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Did you watch Edge of Tomorrow?

Yeah, I did, and loved it. 100mil domestic take versus a 178mil budget hints that only I did, though.

Crain posted:

You can easily do a western adaptation of GitS. I mean poo poo, someone else already posted the Wachowski's filmography and showed that they've basically been doing just that in all but name their whole career

If I was the dude cutting checks for folks to make movies, I'd be really fuckin' worried about giving money to the Wachowski's of late. Whatever you think about their post-Matrix output, the bulk of your potential audience ain't having none of that.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 18, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

HIJK posted:

You might as well ask why non-weeb audiences would be interested in an adaptation of anime at all.

Maybe they are trying to get a non-weeb audience interested in it?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's probably been said somewhere upthread, but I don't think the whitewashing was even a quarter of the reason why the movie failed. For it to be an significant issue, your audience has to know they were originally a different race, and the protagonist in some anime isn't something your general audience knows in the first place.

The Last Airbender didn't flop because of its whitewashing, it flopped because the audience didn't care about The Last Airbender.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

When Paramount publicly concluded that whitewashing killed the movie, the probably didn't mean whitewashing itself but the whitewashing controversy. The articles complaining about the whitewashing, the news reporting there was a whitewashing controversy, your friends on Facebook telling you that you're horrible if you go see this movie, etc.

But that's the rub of the issue, isn't it? I would guess that in a Venn diagram of people who know about the controversy and people who watch/know/care about anime, it would be a near-circle.

Like, if this movie needed 200 people seeing it to be a comfortable success, I would figure maybe 130 of them decided to see the movie or not entirely on the (lovely) advertising, not about its faithfulness to the original, including the race of the main character being different/similar to the source.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

I think for these nerd movies, you need the relatively low numbered, but high passioned, fan base to spread the good word about them.

I'm not so convinced of that. If anything, it's the opposite. If you shoot for making a movie for the low-numbered fan base, you're going to suck poo poo at the BO even if you max out that fanbase. The real value is in the Everybody Else, because they are the numbers you need to be successful.

The movie wasn't a failure because it pissed off the core fanbase, but because it did nothing to appeal to/interest the Everybody Else.

To use another movie series as an example, did the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how Autobots and Deceptions matter one bit to the Transformers objective success? Nope, because only the fan base gave a rat's rear end about that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Aside from this, I wonder if anime adaptations suffer the same problem that video game adaptations suffer- producers feel that the subject matter itself is too niche and need to expand (in this case, get a white actress to play the Major) bowderdizing and anglicizing stuff to the point that nobody is happy; the weaboos are going to be complaining about all these little details that didn't carry over and people unfamiliar with anime are going to be :psyduck: even at the most watered-down presentation.

This is entirely the case, and you said it better then I could've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So yeah, there were lots of people paying a ton of attention to the details but in this instance they were working under people who obviously valued the financial aspects of the project over the artistic aspects.

Isn't that the movie industry in general? You've got the below people concerning themselves with art, but the folks running the show better understand that the financial aspects are the actual lifeblood of the thing.

Hell, this movie shows it off note than most. You can make a movie that is elaborately detailed like the anime that inspired it, but what matters is that nobody in the audience wanted an anime movie.

• Locked thread