Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Going to see this later, admittedly somewhat against my will. I'm expecting it to be pretty poo poo judging from the trailers, the only thing I'm interested in is Batou's car which is a futuristic modified Lotus Esprit from the 80s...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I love the gently caress out of those angular 80s cars. Especially the ones with pop-up headlights.

Wedge car trend started in 1968 with the Alfa Romeo Carabo (which is glorious) and carried on well into the 80s. My car is from 1988 and has pop up headlights, they're the coolest thing. I pulled up to park on a street and a little lad was staring at the car, I flicked the headlights up and he lost his poo poo, jaw dropped, hands on head... :3:

Wedge cars and pop ups are forever cool.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I like how there's so much back and forth about whitewashing when the real discussion should be about how loving boring and grey this movie is. Even the intro scene is less impressive than the animated version from 1995 and it never gets any better. I also love how the paid for the license to use the animated version's theme aaaaaaaaand then just played it in the credits.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This version of the movie takes place in Hong Kong evidenced by the skyline featuring actual buildings located in Hong Kong in a long shot and the vertical graveyard which has featured in a whole bunch of HK movies over the years.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

It doesn't say that. I assume they just based it on HK because the original did and they followed the aesthetics. But if it IS HK does that make more sense that she's white now?

In this new movie it's Hong Kong because there are several buildings in the skyline in the bay shot which exist in HK today. The vast majority of the movie was created in CGI anyway so why leave those particular building in if it's not HK?

It has this iconic building in the movie, it's the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Item Getter posted:

it's the worst GitS movie ever

Sorry to disappoint you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

gohmak posted:

And he doesn't knife fight Batou

And Batou doesn't have a standard issue big gun.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I want to see where Tricky went to from the trailer. He was in Fifth Element as the slightly bumbling Zorg gangster that tries to get on the ship to Phloston Paradise as Korben Dallas.

Ghost

Fifth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzmPZ7ZNJc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricky_(musician)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

Going back a little, but regarded where GitS17 is located:

As someone who's lived in East Asia for several years, spent a lot of time in HK and a fair bit of time in different parts of Japan, it's really hard for me not to think of the city as Hong Kong and harder to think of it as Japan. Aside from a lot of notable landmarks being represented, and the distinctive skyline and harbor views being prominently displayed, there's a lot of little cultural things that are just culturally distinctive to Hong Kong, or distinctively not Japanese. The two most prominent being the graveyard and street signage. The iconic HK style graveyard could be a limitation of shooting in Hong Kong, but the signage leaning heavily toward chinese characters, Korean, and English with almost no Japanese, like in HK, as opposed to being primarily Japanese and Chinese forms as in Japan is an odd choice.

I've never even been to HK and yet it looked distinctly HK, the skyline and in particular the graveyard I've seen in various movies or TV over the years and the whole thing just screamed "THIS IS HONG KONG".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Snak posted:

Edge of Tomorrow is a waaayyyyy better movie than this.

That's like saying a nice meal is better than a plate full of regurgitated turds.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I need to watch that again, some of the deaths in the beach scene were pretty funny.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

I should see Speedracer since people talk warmly about it in this thread, but I've wanted a Hollywood version of Redline for a while now. I assume I'll be disappointed that Speedracer is not that. ...and I'm pretty sure if I wait a couple more years, Fast and Furious will be cars in space.

Speed Racer is a 'big screen, big sound' experience. It's eye-bleedingly colourful and some of the sound work in the races is pretty fantastic. It's also funny, has heart and an amusing business lecture towards the end...

I watched Redline and was very impressed by the animation but I don't recall much of the story, I've now overwritten it in my mind with an episode of Space Dandy which was basically the same thing (the title character Dandy even looks like the guy from Redline).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Snak posted:

Speed Racer is fantastic.

It's true and I go back to read Film Crit Hulk's view of it every now and again simply because they're basically a love story to the movie :3:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/03/27/film-crit-hulk-smash-speed-racer-as-artist

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/11/20/hulks-favorite-movies-speed-racer-2008

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Quiet Feet posted:

Twinkies are yellow on the outside and white on the inside tho.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

IMO the action scenes in the anime were better done, particularly the chase with the guy on foot and the fight with him in the water amongst ratty old buildings. It was far more stylish in the animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkvRVkaE6y4

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90OX7x7KeVE

• Locked thread