Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont know about any of this, just wanted to say GITS is a top tier "actually good show with an embarrassingly dressed heroine", shame the series drops in quality once she starts wearing a uniform.

They did an entire episode of robot spiders with child voices arguing robot philosophy, with the bare minimum of action framing around it, which was cool.

Doubt it was hard to sell "in this episode our animators take a break because none of the robots have mouths" to the producers :v:

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I said come in! posted:

That was one of the best episodes tho!

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said it was cool! Honest!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HorseLord posted:

I've always been fond of "anime characters are white" arguments. Like, that people sincerely argue all these Japanese characters, in Japan, are white, because they don't look like what a white person expects a drawing of a Japanese person to look like.

It makes me wonder how these same people would react to if a Japanese person insisted the Simpsons are not american because they're neon yellow.

I'm against whitewashing GITS, but its not a controversial statement to say that many japanese animation styles default to or idealize white features. It's a strange part of asian culture in general (especially Korea).

That's not to say that they worship white people or anything silly like that, just that they have a high opinion of the West; there's a reason every other main character in a realistic setting is half-japanese half-american (not even kidding).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The weirdest thing about this entire controversy is that Hollywood loves hiring foreign actors...because they can skirt around the Actors Guild. Its pretty bizarre that they'd get themselves into do much trouble whitewashing a cult classic and getting controversy trying to throw CGI at yet another film problem.

I'm guessing they hope to ride ScarJo's appearance in Civil War to easy bucks for an unknown (in western cinema) property.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

I can't believe Masamune Shirow actually allowed Hollywood to make an adaption of this.

He's not quite at the levels of Orson Scott Card and Dan Simmons of batshit insanity, but he has gotten alarmingly close a number of times.

Have you seen the guys modern art (protip: Don't)? Shirow is absolutely not above making a buck.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Batou's head is so tiny. It's almost adorable.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, if theres a place where gratuitous sexualization is appropriate, it's definitely in an adaptation of a Shirow work.

If those character pics are real it still looks pretty terrible, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Except for that one guy that taught her to fold cranes or something dumb.

That was a nice episode. It helped humanize her in a way that wasn't the cliche "strong independent woman has emotional issues" way, and touched on both the general fear of being stuck in an outdated 'worthless' body and the fear of losing human senses and capability.

Also that kid grew up to be Kuze, so its not like it was just "BTW Major liked this random guy"

• Locked thread