Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wow that was actually a pretty decent adaptation. They didn't take a lot of risks with it but it looked absolutely gorgeous. ScarJo, whitewashing stuff aside, was pretty great in the role and I loved the supporting cast as well. I feel like this movie should have been a lot worse than it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Honestly everything but the writing was really solid. Great performances, likeable characters, great action, absolutely incredible cinematography and visuals. I think the movie is a lot better than it gets credit for, but it's still not all that great.

I really hope it does reasonably well so we can get something like this again with more capable hands writing it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think the invisibility is from a skin colored jumpsuit she wears. Also, the Section 9 chief was Takeshi Kitano, a pretty famous Japanese actor and yeah, the side characters were all pretty great, though underdeveloped.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I thought it was a bad movie the moment Motoko woke up and was served the worst expository lines ever. Still haven't been able to watch past that point. I usually give movies a fair chance - I tried three times by now - but my eyes rolled too far back at that point. It makes me feel stupid the way it has to explain everything.

Every time I hear a few lines of bad dialogue I am overcome with an overwhelming sense of disgust and start retching and puking all over my carpet. I'm trying to give the movie a fair shot, I really am, but I can't overcome the herculean task of bearing with a few lines of clunky exposition to actually watch the movie.

It's not that great of a movie, but it's definitely not "shut the movie off in disgust before I even started it" bad.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I rewatched the movie today just to get a hold on how I felt about it after a while, and I'm still kinda torn. It's a mediocre movie through and through and I'd love to be able to just not like it, but there's just so much potential that started to shine through in the movie but never quite made it all the way. Pilou Asbęk is still fantastic and one of my favorite parts of the movie.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Most important thing first, Batou wasn't good because he was faithful to the original, he was good because it was an endearing and pretty charismatic performance that was written relatively well and I want him to be my friend.

There's really not been a lot of "not faithful to the original" type criticism that hasn't been pretty well justified (eg pointing out how certain scenes they directly remade miss what made the original scenes so good) Also, discussion of fidelity is bound to happen and shouldn't be discouraged when you're talking about a remake.

It's not that people want a shot for shot remake, it's that they want they want something that captures the same feelings and themes of the original, or something that takes it in an interesting and new direction. The film has some interesting and good parts, but ultimately doesn't capture the feel of the original, or take it far enough in an interesting new direction.

But yeah the "I watched 3 minutes of this movie and shut it off so I could go dunk on it for an internet forum" reviews are really lame.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A long rebuttal.
I'm just saying that it didn't work as a faithful remake that captured the spirit of the original, or as an interesting new interpretation of it. They had all the classic scenes that everyone loved in there, but they weren't really as good as they were in the original, with the exception of the characters of batou and the chief, who are probably some of my favorite interpretations of the characters. They had a lot of potentially interesting new ideas, but they were clumsily handled and wound up not being very compelling.

I really like the movie personally, enough to get the blu ray. It has a lot of good parts to it and you can tell there was some heart behind it, but it's deeply flawed and not very good overall. My top criteria for liking movies are generally aesthetics and characters, which this movie did very well I think which is why I still like it despite the flaws. This is all my own opinion of course and you're entitled to your own. I'm not saying remakes are categorically bad, and I don't believe they made this movie different from the original on accident. I certainly didn't mean for it to come across that way and I apologize if it did.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Whatever your feelings, the issue is that none of what you've written actually makes sense.

Stock phrases like "capturing the spirit" are 'deep' and meaningless, conveying only a sense of dissatisfaction. "Faithful to the original classic!" is marketing-speak - a phrase you'll find in ad copy, or a Travers quote on the back of a DVD case. So when someone asks you what on Earth you're talking about, you... well, you can't can you?

This issue is endemic to discussion of this particular film, and is not neutral or apolitical. We've already seen people deploying the term 'whitewashing' and then struggling badly to explain what 'whitewashing' is, and so-on. Even the praise is hampered: 'it looks pretty'.

Complaint supplants criticism when posters have no frame of reference to allow for the formation of an opinion, and no vocabulary with which to express it. Instead of discussing the cyborg film in terms of like Donna Harraway or Marshal McLuhan, it's memes derived from clickbait.

When I say capturing the spirit of the original I mean going for a straight remake of the original, capturing the same general themes, scenes, and plot beats without just having it be a shot for shot copy which I think capturing the spirit of conveys pretty well in fewer words. When I say an interesting new take, I mean drop all the cobbled together classic storylines and plot beats that they retrofitted to match up with the new themes and plot and work from the ground up. I think the movie would have been better if they had taken either of these paths.

I don't think anyone was really struggling to explain what whitewashing was, and it's an asian property that got a white lead, so it's a pretty valid complaint. Personally it didn't bother me as much because I think it was worked into the plot rather well.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm really trying to make this as simple as I can. It felt like a straight up remake of the original movie and a brand new story from the same universe cobbled together in a haphazard way, how much simpler do you want me to make it? Would "movie bad, me no like" work for you? I feel like you're being willfully obtuse and keep just trying to split hairs on vocabulary.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 7, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm mostly avoiding going into detail because it's been months since I've seen it. He's trying to get specifics, but all I have right now is my general opinion of the movie, and I don't really care enough to watch it again and pick out specific scenes just for an internet post.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I do remember Takeshi Kitano shooting a bunch of dudes while using a briefcase as a shield, that was pretty cool.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's 100% a valid complaint, I'm just saying that it didn't really detract from my enjoyment of the movie.

If you don't remember anything, that's no different from the weirds who turned it off after five minutes. You weren't paying attention - and have even repeated that you didn't care to pay attention. Yet you are writing anyways.

What we're left with is vague complaint interspersed with error - for example, you conflate 'remaking' with direct translation to a different medium, when the term for the latter is 'adaptation'. So you complain that the film was a bad remake because it was a remake, instead of the adaptation (of animation to live-action) that you expected.

And again, this is not an isolated case.

I remember my opinion of the movie from when I watched it, not the specifics of the movie. The fact that I eventually forgot those specifics does not retroactively make my opinion invalid.

Again, that's not what I said at all as I have told you a few times. I said pick a direction and stick with it, direct adaptation or entirely new direction. My complaint is that the movie can't choose between the two and winds up being an odd mishmash of new ideas and classic fanservice scenes that wasn't integrated very well. Maybe a different director could have handled the mix a bit better, but it wasn't handled very well by Sanders.

If you want to twist and oversimplify this criticism into "The film was a bad remake because it was a remake, I turned this off after 5 minutes" so that it better supports your point, I wont stop you, but you're pretty clearly not interested in the point I'm actually trying to make and I'm not really interested in arguing semantics with a brick wall.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 7, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Fair enough. I was just dropping my two cents and wound up getting dragged into a much deeper discussion about my criticism when all I really wanted to say that the movie deserved a lot of the criticism it received even if a lot that criticism was flawed.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You're only looking at the deeper meaning of the film and neglecting to consider the surface level, which is just as important. It doesn't just make references to 95, it copies most of the major set pieces and characters, only changing the context they are presented in while leaving the actual scenes more or less unchanged. It's more complicated than just using an ellipsis in two sentences. I think calling it an adaptation is more than fair, even if it pulls from multiple sources and recontextualizes it.

I think it's also fair to say that it also explores a lot of the same themes as 95, only really changing the conclusion that it eventually comes to with regard to regaining her humanity rather than transcending it, more a of a twist on the original rather than an entirely new idea, which isn't unheard of in adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The spider tank fight was a lot better in 95. I loved how serene the whole scene felt with the great score and the moments of calm interspersed with gunfire.

• Locked thread