Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Americanized Ghost In The Shell seems like an incredibly bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Corek posted:

‘Ghost in the Shell’ Producers Reportedly Tested Visual Effects That Would Make Scarlett Johansson, White Actors Appear Asian

http://screencrush.com/ghost-in-the-shell-whitewashing-scarlett-johnasson-vfx/

According to multiple independent sources close to the project, Paramount and DreamWorks commissioned visual effects tests that would’ve altered Scarlett Johansson in post-production to “shift her ethnicity” and make the Caucasian actress appear more Asian in the film.

It’s the latest, and most extreme, case of “beauty work,” the new trend in Hollywood to discreetly use visual effects to tweak an actor’s appearance, making them thinner, younger or stronger. The Ghost in the Shell tests were conducted by Lola VFX, the same company that aged up (and down) Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and is considered the industry leader in so-called beauty work. Though the tests were requested by the production team, once they were developed and reviewed, the idea was rejected “immediately,” says an insider.

Hollywood was a mistake

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Ghost in the Shell: White Wash Complex

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
It's interesting to see all the people who were mad at Black Heimdall defend white the entire of Japan.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I've always been fond of "anime characters are white" arguments. Like, that people sincerely argue all these Japanese characters, in Japan, are white, because they don't look like what a white person expects a drawing of a Japanese person to look like.

It makes me wonder how these same people would react to if a Japanese person insisted the Simpsons are not american because they're neon yellow.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
So now we've covered Paramount's enquiry into building an electric yellowface machine, I'm wondering what a non-Japanese version of GITS could even be. The entire premise of the series comes from the history of postwar Japan, it's place in the world, how it's society relates to technology, and where that could lead to in the future.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Comrade Fakename posted:

The core of GITS is android police in cyberpunk land. You could set it pretty much anywhere.

No, the things that make GITS what it is are the things I mentioned. If "android police in cyberpunk land" was the entirety of it's high concept and cultural significance then it would not be Ghost In The Shell.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Batham posted:

The average person on these forums and other anime forums might be aware of this, but to the average viewer does not. There's a reason why you see stuff like "I like animé a lot, but why does Japan make cartoons about Caucasian people?" pop up from time to time on various boards. The average human in an animé show doesn't look distinctive Asian enough, period.

Here is "distinctive Asian enough" for white people not to assume drawings of Japanese people in Japan made by other Japanese people are of white people.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Where is the tantrum? That is literally the conception white Americans have of how to telegraph "Asian" in a drawing. Those are the big racial markers that jump out to white Americans as being characteristic of Asians, specifically Japanese.

Because Anime characters do not look like this, you assume they're white. (Because green or blue hair is unique to white genetics?)

It would do you good to find out what explicitly white characters have looked like in Anime. We're talking like, the biggest loving noses you've ever seen here.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

Arguing "they are not drawn specifically Asian, and are instead broad analogue more than one person can relate to" is one thing, arguing that they they're actually white people is something else.

Animated characters are never one to one with reality anyway, in terms of intent. The Simpsons have already been mentioned, but American Dad, Family Guy and even Frozen use body and face proportions that are basically impossible, and that's fine because they're symbolic representations of people.

No but you see until the animes are perfect photorealistic lifedrawings none of the characters can be Japanese because they don't look like them, no matter little details like living in literally tokyo. But blue haired yellowed skin people are american because of context.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

Oh my god do people really think anime characters are drawn for white people and not just stylised faces?

Apparently!

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Maybe all the characters in this version are still written as being Japanese. That'd be really loving funny.

Maybe they could do a shot for shot of remake Boyz n the Hood starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Batham posted:

Again, animé characters are broad enough to be identified as several racial groups, Caucasians being one of them. The differences that are often brought up, e.g. differences in the way the jawline are drawn, mean little to nothing to the average viewer or anyone that has ever been specifically told that information.

The extremely stylized nature of the artwork does not incorporate racial markers, but that does not mean that the character in question has an unknown nationality.

This has been explained, several times now. The cast of Ghost in the Shell are Japanese. Marge Simpson is a white American. It is right there, in the story.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
草薙 素子: I am a Japanese person from Japan. I have lived here my whole life. I work for the Japanese government.

Batham: They didn't draw any slitty eyes how can i tell

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Batham posted:

Again, that is mostly irrelevant for most mainstream Animé due to dubbing and that most on screen text is written in the latin alphabet. Very rarely does the line or direct reference to Japan ever come up in Animé.

You are being really dense right now.

First you tried to claim Anime characters aren't Japanese because they don't look like what you want Japanese people to be drawn like. Now that is defeated, you are claiming that they aren't really Japanese because English language dubs that try to remove signs of Japaneseness exist, or that in some anime series, they don't incorporate the word "Japan" into every sentence.

This is a really poor argument, because You're in the Ghost in the Shell thread. Ghost In the Shell is set in Japan. It focuses extremely heavily on Japanese political intrigue, so they talk about Japan and being in Japan all of the time. The main character, who people do not like to see whitewashed, is called Motoko Kusanagi, which is a Japanese name. There is absolutely no ambiguity in this at all, they are Japanese people doing Japanese things in Japan. There is no way to read or watch GITS without understanding, without any chance of doubt, that they're Japanese. The entire series beats you over the head with this fact from start to end.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In my opinion, ScarJo is white. She is not a Japanese, and she will never become Japanese. She is Caucasian.

Just as an aside, why do Americans think white people are Caucasian? People from the caucasus are often extremely brown.

• Locked thread