Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I thought people were supposed to be outraged that there weren't enough movies with strong female leads, does that not count anymore just because an anonymous stranger on the internet said that they were totally going to use CGI to make the cast look more asian despite the adaptation not being set in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Obviously they should have have just made Batou the protagonist, then they wouldn't have to worry about the shape of the lead actor's eyes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HorseLord posted:

It makes me wonder how these same people would react to if a Japanese person insisted the Simpsons are not american because they're neon yellow.

A better comparison would be a Japanese studio buying the rights to make live-action Japanese-language Simpsons movie for the Japanese market and then a bunch of hikikomori complaining that the movie uses Japanese actors.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SlipUp posted:

I don't think casting ScarJo was racist, it is possible to reinterpret somebody else's story. It's not like the Departed was racist, or conversely it's not like Attack on Titan should have white Europeans even though they clearly are going for a European aesthetic. The cgi asian eyes though, loving lol.

Don't even get me started on Fury Road's leads not being Australian.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Where were all these weird racial purity people when America made a Speed Racer movie with an all white main cast and even cast a Korean as the lone Asian character.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Crain posted:

Not really a direct corollary. Speed Racer is just ~~~****AnImE****~~~ without any setting to nail down race or ethnicity. While whitewashing is still bad in that case, it's not really as heavily tied to a Japanese identity.

Actually, the setting of Mach GoGoGo (マッハGoGoGo) is uniquely and explicitly Japanese because :goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Echo Chamber posted:

He wanted to compare critics of whitewashing to Nazis.

Japan is the country that still classifies fictional characters by blood type based on disproven racial profiling pseudoscience from 50 years ago, if you want to compare anybody to Nazis it should be your precious japanese animes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LEGO Genetics posted:

I can't believe Masamune Shirow actually allowed Hollywood to make an adaption of this.

He's not quite at the levels of Orson Scott Card and Dan Simmons of batshit insanity, but he has gotten alarmingly close a number of times.

Orson Scott Card not only let them make a big Hollywood movie out of Ender's Game but he even tried to hide what a batshit bigot and he was so it wouldn't hurt the box office returns.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Squinty posted:

I do think that Tilda Swinton doing her best David Carradine impression is the worse of the two

They're pretty honest about the reasoning behind their decision, at least:

Wikipedia posted:

In regards to casting a white, female actress for a character generally depicted as an older Tibetan man, co-writer C. Robert Cargill called it "Marvel's Kobayashi Maru" saying, "There is no other character in Marvel [Comics] history that is such a cultural land mine that is absolutely unwinnable". He explained that, like the Kobayashi Maru, decisions regarding the Ancient One for the film were more about "which way you're willing to lose," citing how the character was a racial stereotype at the time of its creation, as well as potentially adding tension to the political landscape around Tibet by either embracing the Tibetan background, or choosing an actor of another Asian nationality to portray a Tibetan character. As such, director Scott Derrickson decided to "use this as an opportunity to cast an amazing actress in a male role."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/844003140139540480

:lol:

Bugblatter posted:

What does that have to do with anything? It's relatively tame compared to a lot of other more prominent directors and artists.

Yeah, it's crazy how nobody even brings up things like Bryan Singer being a serial statutory date rapist during the release of any one of the half dozen movies about high school students that he's put out but an affair between two consenting adults is all anybody wants to bring up whenever either of them are mentioned because :females:.

• Locked thread