Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just watched this on my TV and it was pleasant on my eyes and didn't ask anything of my brain. Well, thanks for reading my review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I watched the other Ghost in the shell things after this and I agree it seems like they've just jammed a bunch of scenes, feelings and plotlines together then gone tada!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Her complicity in the oppression of the Chinese population on behalf of white (and Japanese) supremacist institutions has literally turned her white. While a victim of sexism and racism, she is also a participant - she beats up Japanese pimps but then takes advantage of a black prostitute and, so-on. Things are nuanced. Boundaries are blurred.

But the whitewashing meme is an escape from the simple fact that K.Waste had stressed - that Section 9 are the bad guys; in the popular Marvel films, they are called HYDRA.

gently caress man I am going to say this to people and blow their dicks off over dinner.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Snak posted:

I needed to be either or. It tried to be a new story that aped a bunch of scenes and characters from previous material.

I think this is the weirdest thing for me. While watching the anime for the first time I was seeing all these identical scenes (but better executed in a lot of ways) but the plot beats they were attached to were different or meatier. I can't think of anything similar to this that is an adaptation of other visual media without being a straight transposition to a western setting in order to capture that audience. So much of the movie is the same/homage (whatever people want to call it, I'm not a film student) that it actually makes it more jarring than just a total new story with the same characters or whatever.

That being said, having not seen the source material I thought the movie was watchable, just nothing exciting because it didn't delve deeply enough into the robot poo poo and the action was not amazing (although it had cool moments).

• Locked thread