Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
from that trailer it looks like it would be worth watching if you like the visual design, the messy cyberpunk look, which I do. Not really sold on the story or writing though, it's hard to judge a film for that from just a trailer. Definitely feeling the "here's all the scenes you love from previous media" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

7c Nickel posted:

Looks like they're going for the dumbest possible angle just like I feared.

Let's abduct a random person and erase their memories when making a cyborg super cop. What? Use an actual terminally ill patient or just a straight up volunteer? That would be ridiculous! It's a known fact that being super evil is good for your stock!

I don't get that from the trailer. I just think the "bad guy" might be saying poo poo to get his own way. Don't take everything on face value.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

7c Nickel posted:

Did you miss the whole "you promised us a clean brain!" and "we'll have to terminate" from the latest one?

didn't remember watching the last one so "yes" I suppose. But I'm not sure what you think those lines are implying either.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yeah, the aesthetics make it look worth a watch even if the story is a wash

starkebn
May 18, 2004

like a lot of movies (Star Wars especially) the original GitS has a mind blowing soundtrack that elevates the film. That along with beautiful hand drawn animation and a pretty intriguing story made it what it is. A film is made up of many parts, the story / script is just one thing that helps it embed in people's memories.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Statements like "a film is made up of many parts," and "it's embedded in people's memories," don't answer the question.

For most people liking something is more visceral than your wordy diatribes

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I don't think Scarlett Johansson has ever been hired for her emotional range

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Uuhhhh, I'd have to listen to the whole track without it being chopped up like that, but that sounded like the laziest wub wub I've ever heard

starkebn
May 18, 2004

we need a thread purely for SMG to talk about movies and people try to tell them it's wrong in that thread

starkebn
May 18, 2004

There's not really anything important about the original film being set in Japan so if it's visually cool, the music is interesting and the script works I'll still see it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

You're also assuming that the blurb saying "this is what the director wrote down" isn't just some bullshit the people who put the book together did to fill some space. What a non issue

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

https://youtu.be/90OX7x7KeVE

Snippet of the canal fight. I think this is the first we've heard from Clint Mansell's score. Sounds Clint Mansell-y.

wow, did not like that action. I don't think I'm going to enjoy this anywhere near as much as the '95

starkebn
May 18, 2004

wow, this is just not going to do it for me at all

starkebn
May 18, 2004

how could Hollywood ever have justified using Andy from Parks & Rec as an action star in Guardians of the Galaxy but then say they could never take a chance on a woman unless they're already a headliner

starkebn
May 18, 2004

post filming?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

They're still making movies in 3D?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I will never understand sci-fi where this is thing. Like the volunteer waiting list would be multiple life times long for "you're you except your body is a hot and ageless super powered machine and also you have 100% comprehension of all known languages."

"we could ask someone with MS to undergo this procedure, but nah - let's violate some poors man!"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

what's the run time?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I was thinking one of the virtues of '95 was that even though it is only 82 minutes, because it has only 3 major action scenes, it is really patient with them and gives every other scene room to tell a story. If this one is jam packed with action it loses that.

I will wait until I can get it on Blu-ray

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Stop trying to grab each other's dicks

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I thought whitewashing was getting white actors to play characters of other ethnicities when they should have cast actors of those ethnicities instead.

If a movie is totally rewritten, like The Departed, you might see it as bad but calling it whitewashing is incorrect I think.

Or, it doesn't mean that so much any more.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I think I'm getting it confused with yellow face, black face, Red face etc.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Because I have offered a very straightforward definition of whitewashing

what?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Tried to watch this yesterday and couldn't get all the way through. The only scene I thought was any good was when the Major found Kuze the first time. Every other scene aped something from previous media but had no idea what made those scenes any good. Why do so many scripts feel the need to explain everything through origin stories and explanations of everything? The original film starts basically "in media res" and apart from the non-dialogue body construction sequence during the titles there is no other exposition about the characters or the setting until we learn a little about the non cybered member of the team. We see the characters, immediately identify them through tropes and cliches and understand what's happening intrinsically. Case in point Batou's eyes. This makes me think of Patton Oswalt's diatribe about the Star Wars prequels. A lot of people don't give a poo poo about Darth Vader as a kid, they care about Darth Vader as shown in the original films. It's not always interesting to show how characters we like came to be how they are, we just like them how they are. The 95 film asked plenty of interesting questions without trying to shoehorn some pity-story about evil villain CEOs loving over the little people.

I thought the casting was really good, Batou and the Chief were especially dead on, I thought Scarlett Johansson visually matched the Major well but she has such an uncharismatic vocal delivery I couldn't handle it even though she was supposed to be synthetic. When she visited her mother in her apartment I started skipping forward and once I hit the scene with the evil villain controlling the spider tank I was skipping whole chunks looking for something even visually compelling but it just didn't arise.

The visuals were fantastic whenever they were on a set and had props but any time they showed a shot of the city I just thought "holy lacklustre CGI batman" and was not impressed at all. There is also no way to match the 95 musical score unless they were to copy it, so that was also a massive letdown for me - the original music is a large part of the appeal.

As a fan of the 95 movie this was an almost complete fail, and I have no idea what people who don't know the property thought of it and don't really care.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It's filmed in Hong Kong but it is never mentioned where they are. In all the original material it is implied it is Japan or a Japanese territory. Section 9 is a covert arm of the Japanese government, although I can't remember if that is even implied in the new film.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I don't understand the objection to critiquing this as an adaption when so much of the material is directly adapting previous works. If this was a wholly new story told with familiar characters perhaps it would have been better and could have been reviewed without so much baggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

1995's Motoko dives not because she enjoys being underwater, but specifically because she enjoys the act of resurfacing into sunlight. 2017's Mira is the polar opposite; she dives at night.

In the original she dives because if her flotation device fails she would sink and be hosed, so it is risk taking behaviour that makes her feel vulnerability. In the new film she dives because she did it in the original.

e: no , that's unfair, in the new film she does it to get away from the incessant digital signals. Still, in the original the Major comes across as a depressed "who am I? what am I doing?" and the dive is very much like trying to feel something. Also the boat trip through the city is trying to be amongst the rest of the world, to connect. In the new film I guess she is more PTSD? I am not really familiar with that so I'm not sure if that's right but the whole repressed memories / flashbacks thing certainly makes her a different character. Which isn't a bad thing, just not something I enjoyed as much.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 9, 2017

• Locked thread