Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tenzarin posted:

They also made a point that Togusa is really the odd man in the group because he has not received any cyborg augmentations and he has a wive and kid. Only other person with that kind of background is Aramaki, it makes it look like he is teaching Togusa to one day take over the team.

Actually, I always wondered about this. Togusa is explicitly said to have no cybernetic enhancements, being totally human. Aramaki is somewhat implied to be similar. However both of them are always jumping into cyber lobbies for meetings, having thought conversations with the rest of the team and going into autistic mode or whatever so they can't by cyber talked to. How the hell does Togusa keep doing these things that require at least minimal cyberization?

Also his use of a revolver is a little too on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowman_McK posted:

Wasn't there an episode where Togusa starts doubting if he actually has that family, that they might be a layer of manipulation?

Probably, there's a shitload of people sitting around talking about the nature of reality so why not Togusa too?

I want to say that there was an episode where Togusa wasn't able to see the Laughing Man as he was getting away despite being the only member of the team who should have been immune to the effects of the Laughing Man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love that all you need for Cyborg eyes is a pair of swim goggles.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Looking at the IMDB for the movie, I don't see how they can have it set in Neo Tokyo as agents for the Japanese Government. There's only like 4 East Asian actors listed. If I had to guess they're going to have Section 9 be part of some sort of Interpol/U.N. agency or at least move them to a more multicultural country than Japan. Though it does still raise the question of why ScarJo's Major is still sporting a Japanese name and why they were looking to CGI their cast Asian.

Unless they're really playing up the post World War N world where Japan is just now regaining full autonomy and as a result has a metric poo poo ton of non-Japanese all over the place.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

It's a thing in East Asia where people view whiteness as the ideal and looking more white is closer to perfection. So in a way it'd be incredibly ironic - here's this Japanese woman who's become the picture of perfection, yet in exchange she has to abandon most of what makes her human.

I have absolutely no faith that this in anyway crossed anyone's mind. If it did though, it bodes well for the movie as a whole since that's the type of thinking that fits in with GITS.

As for giving the studio the benefit of the doubt on the CGI Yellowface, no thank you. Yes, it is fairly easy to come up with a plausible explanation for a single scene. However given that the studio hasn't released any information on the setting or plot despite a fair bit out internet outrage there's no real reason to assume they're doing something different than all the other times they whitewashed a role. All they'd have to do is give a plausible reason for Scarlett Johansson to be playing a Motoko Kusinagi beyond "pshh, cyborg bodies, who cares?" and they've been consistent in not doing so.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ramagamma posted:

I bought Equilibrium the month it came out, more or less, and I still haven't got round to wtaching it.

It has a really cute dog in it. So cute it breaks the faith of Christian Bale's high level shooty monk of dystopian repression.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The Major was turned near full cyborg as a baby/child, which allows her to more effectively use the various abilities of cybernetics and hacking since they are all she's ever known. Similar to how you are exponentially better with computers than someone who came of age prior to the 1980s/90s.

Taking a baby/child, who of course never asked for this, and making them just this side of a robot is generally what they're most likely talking about when they say that "they" stole the Major's life.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mastershakeman posted:

having to find a babysitter is a huge pain in the rear end

That's why you just take you kid with you, especially if you can find a good R rated Horror movie. I've found that there's nothing kids love more than loud violence and terrifying images to feed their nightmares.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brainiac Five posted:

The cyberbody corporation already was evil in GitS '95, trapping the spiritual Puppet Master entity in mortal clay to enslave them, at the behest of the American and Japanese governments. The Major's suspicion that she didn't exist before her cyberbody was put together is also a major part of GitS '95.

Is there any Ghost in the Shell property where The Major isn't searching for her past from before she was cyberized in some form? I'm pretty sure Kusanagi always had missing memories and questions about whether she is a technological construct or a human.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mithaldu posted:

wait, what?

Anonymous sources claimed that at some point Paramount/Dream Works had someone check to see if they could CGI the white actors to look more East Asian, but didn't move past the see what it would look like stage. Paramount/Dream Works denies that they did this, claiming

Screencrush.com posted:

A test was done related to a specific scene for a background actor which was ultimately discarded. Absolutely no visual effects tests were conducted on Scarlett’s character and we have no future plans to do so.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dmitri-9 posted:

The setting is New Port City because in most continuities Tokyo got nuked back to the Iron Age.

Wasn't the second miracle the creation of radiation eliminating tech? Surely Tokyo is at least up to the Industrial Age by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

starkebn posted:

how could Hollywood ever have justified using Andy from Parks & Rec as an action star in Guardians of the Galaxy but then say they could never take a chance on a woman unless they're already a headliner

Obviously it was his turn in Movie 43 that showed he was ready. Certainly not a separate standard for white dudes.

• Locked thread