Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Clipperton posted:

worked out pretty good for cliff curtis

It's funny that they confirmed Cliff Curtis' character in Fear the Walking Dead as a Maori dude. I think it might be the first time he's ever portrayed his actual ethnicity in an American production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Neurolimal posted:

Have you seen the guys modern art (protip: Don't)? Shirow is absolutely not above making a buck.

GitS 2: Man-Machine Interface felt like it was done to capitalize on the growing popularity of the series outside of Japan and it was absolute garbage. I honestly think the Ghost in the Shell movies, Stand Alone Complex, 2nd Gig and Solid State Society are the "real" stories since they're divorced from Shirow's stink.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

porfiria posted:

Wait...Raiden's not white?

Raiden's ethnicity has always been kinda weird because he's from Liberia and is kinda/sorta/maybe not an albino (and some areas of West Africa have huge tribal taboos against albinos). Like MGS3 taking place in a Russian jungle, it's something that's just kinda hand waved over.

But yeah, Raiden is literally an African-American.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

OAquinas posted:

There are white guys in africa. And those who come over to the US would be....african-american.
That the term generally refers to black people with a high degree of accuracy just enables double takes like this.

....doesn't make Raiden's child-soldier WTF backstory any less, uh, WTF-inducing.

Liberia has one of the lowest populations of white people in Western Africa and the fact that he was born in the jungle and fought in Charles Taylor's civil war in the 90s along with him getting heavily shat upon for his skin tone hints at him possibly being an albino. It's honestly one of those "huh, okay, weird" things in Metal Gear that was never explained. I doubt Kojima will ever outright say if he's supposed to be strictly white, mixed race or suffering from albinism either. Raiden black, so what.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Niihama/Newport City are in Japan, even if it does look like Hong Kong stylistically. Why the hell would Section 9, a Japanese organization and public security team created by the Japanese government, be stationed in Hong Kong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

^ Yeah, I really like the Kerberos Saga and even though the city in it looks decided not Japanese, it most certainly takes place in Japan.

ungulateman posted:

why would a national security organisation be intruding into other countries' sovereign territories, in a dystopian sci-fi thriller? why, that's just nonsense. [looks outside] wait

They're not an army, they're literally a branch of the Japanese Ministry of Home Affairs in every version and only deal with counter-terrorist and poo poo harming Japan. Trying to say that Ghost in the Shell doesn't take place in Japan is extraordinarily :psyduck:

Neo-Tokyo in Akira was heavily inspired by Western metropolises but that doesn't mean it takes place outside of Japan.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 6, 2017

• Locked thread