Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm one of the people who has watched the Ghost in the Shell '95 movie 3 or 4 times over the years and every time lose track of what is actually happening and why. Then I try watching the 2002 show and it makes a modicum of sense, but of course again nearly impossible to follow unless you've bought the set.

Somehow I feel like it will lose its charm if it starts to make sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's been a long while since I've attempted Ghost in the Shell '95 but I'm always left confused by the plot and what people are even talking about. I hope I am not the only one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

That trailer looks a lot better than I expected. It doesn't look like "my" GitS, but it does look like a movie I will go see.

"My" GitS is what everyone appears to be looking for, and couldn't be more obvious that everyone's is different. Watching people try to take down the movie, mostly with criticisms I'd expect from 13-year-olds, has been something else.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UmOk posted:

The 90's Ghost in the Shell was the first anime I ever watched. I remember it not making very much sense. I think it may have turned me off anime because twenty years later I have only seen about 6 more anime movies and some episodes of The Dragons Balls.

This live action movie looks good.

well why not posted:

I watched GiTS 95 in the cinema last night, thinking about how the adaptation might different today. First up, there'll probably be way more exposition, because I have seen this movie three times now and still don't understand why there's a tank at the end.

Don't worry, you're not the only ones who find GitS '95 perplexing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Equilibrium is what Last Action Hero would interpret 1984 to be, as opposed to Hamlet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frankly I would rather watch the movie than tilt at a loving trailer.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This movie looks good from trailers, if a bit spoiler-y. I would give it 6/10 Terminator Genisyses in the spoils-the-movie department.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

ScarJo was on track to be a leading action heroine, which is obviously something incredibly rare in the industry.

She's been in roughly one high-grossing action movie per year since 2010 while continuing to do other movies in different genres, about the only woman she's in competition with is Charlize Theron.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Did you notice how nobody was celebrating Great Wall? That one 'doesn't count' because it's Chinese - and there's a weird overlap between the 'whitewashing' meme and the 'pandering to China' meme. We want pandering, but only if it's 'natural' pandering: pandering to us (American liberal Disney fans).

Please define "celebrate" here. Great Wall got lots of guff for whitewashing, and also got less press because it's not Ghost in the Shell (a more widely known IP) and received less marketing support.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There is no whitewashing in the movie. You would know this if you had seen it. If the point is actually to support films that give roles to Asian actors, then Great Wall is a blockbuster with one of the biggest Chinese casts in the history of the world. Chinese director, made in China....

Again, my point is the the bizarre quibbling over how certain films 'don't count'. You say it yourself: Great Wall doesn't count because it's "not a widely-known IP", and has "less marketing support". It's not a real film, arbitrarily.

In other words: you do not want to support Asian actors or Asian cinema, making them successful. You want the inherently-superior movies that you already support, that are already dominant - Hollywood blockbusters about superheros - to become marginally more Asian.

For the record I'm not taking a side and generally want to see this new GitS movie, I'm just pointing out that Great Wall was accused of whitewashing, but the clamor was less loud because Great Wall did not have the same visibility.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The movie looks amusing and I am excited about live action transhumanism, which has only really been technically feasible in the last few years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pre-word-of-mouth is probably going to kill this thing, so $200 million is starting to look like a miscalculation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I was stuck in a cancer ward with Battleship, Avengers 1, and Hunger Games running pretty much non-stop on the in-hospital cable service. As a result Battleship has a sort of nostalgic value to me, and it isn't bad besides.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wendell posted:

Surely you mean 59%.

It's down to 50% but generally getting scores of two to three stars among "bad" reviews (yes RT counts some three-star reviews as negative), demonstrating the inherent clunkiness of relying on RT for anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

To draw comparisons, this feels like the Godzilla 2000 of the Ghost in the Shell franchise. Collectively, the production makes clear that it understands that people like Ghost in the Shell, but can't demonstrate that it knows why. We get simple answers to complex questions and a stupid ending wrapped in a bow. “We cling to our memories as if they define us, but what we do defines us," says a person whose every waking moment is haunted and driven by memory, speaking as if this is high-concept, daring stuff. Every iconic Ghost in the Shell™ Thing is rammed sideways into the script. The only time this movie goes its own way to say its own thing is to reduce the concept to easily digestible pablum.

This level of comprehension also follows on the film-making. Sloppy editing and choreography are the most obvious problems. Particularly, the use of slow-mo is downright strange--I can only guess that someone thought I would like slow-mo for its own sake, rather than to see it serve a purpose in creating lasting imagery or to dwell on something interesting going on. Here it served to exacerbate the feeling that no one knew what they were doing, amid generally uninformative shot composition.

There are also several aborted story ideas that perhaps got chopped up to keep the runtime down, or forgotten about during rewrites. For example, the black hat gradually loses track of his motivation and, like the concept of the source material, transforms from a series of existential questions to a doodle.

Bottom line, if you're dying to see this movie I would recommend you just watch Blade Runner.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Iodicracy's trashiness is basically just slamming the poor. Ghost in the Shell's attack on garish branding is a lot more interesting to me.

Haven't seen the latter two.

The moral of GitS '17 is that the future is very distracting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I feel like this six-minute video is more convincing and thoughtful as an uncomfortably-connected future than any of the Bargain Blade Runner stuff we got in GitS '17. I was reminded of it often when the movie settled for just inserting holographic women and animals into every shot that seem to serve no purpose other than to cause car accidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Everybody sees the same holograms in the movie. They have nothing to do with concerns about an "uncomfortably-connected future," so it is silly to compare how convincing and thoughtful they are in addressing that topic.

True, I wouldn't expect this movie to get deeper into topics like why physically-projected holograms designed for the consumption of people flying over the city are a thing when everyone is getting cybernetic eyeballs for their hijacked brains.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Most people in the world of the film don't have cybernetic eyes yet and, even if they did, there would be value in making things visible as part of actual reality, not something you have to convince people to view.

Which makes it more relevant as commentary, not making it about the online experience and Google Glass and poo poo. I don't see explicit ads on my computer. I do see them out in the real world. Because I can't run software to selectively edit my perception of the real world. Ghost in the Shell is way more interesting as speculation about the future than that Hyper-Reality poo poo.

Well, sure, some of them don't have cybernetic eyeballs. Most of those are just jacked in 24/7 and not looking at fundamentally meaningless images designed for a helicopter shot.

The reason HYPER-REALITY is interesting and Ghost in the Shell isn't is because HYPER-REALITY is speculating on functionality and showing you things that have clear basis for existing--by those facts themselves making social commentary. Despite the fact that we have Adblock and pop-ups are no longer "topical," they are seeping back in through the cracks because the Internet can't survive without them. The Internet is re-distributing this old 90's idea through your phone (which serves you pop-ups constantly) with an artificial "gig"-based socialization. Everyone is making comments everywhere that no one else ever reads, and an entire generation is growing up on points-based validation based on nothing, that signifies nothing, and is just a thin veneer over your shame.

Ghost in the Shell isn't talking about anything different; in GitS people just attempt to derive personal validation, however unsuccessfully, from physical artificiality. Everyone in this movie is ready to endorse and accept ascension into godhood, but the representation of that is just weaksauce--people saying they are ready. There's no intoxicating element to it, everyone just says it's intoxicating because that's the level this movie operates at. You can install the French language in your children, even though the Internet already grants you telepathy. You can get an artificial liver to sustain drinking binges, even though that won't do anything about alcohol poisoning. In its stupidity, GitS '17 confuses this for the technological dysphoria it thinks that it is about. Mostly it's just "thought-provoking" pieces of concept art edited together badly.

quote:

Like, why do billboards exist when you can't read them up close? Doesn't make sense.

Actually, you can, and they're more informative than this alternative at any distance, too!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Your jump from ads on mobile devices (note: ad block is moving there) to "artificial 'gig'-based socialization" is bizarre. The latter seems like a mash-up of two different ideas, and neither of them having anything to do with implying a future in which people choose to live in a world that looks like this:

Or use interfaces that look like this:

This isn't even theoretical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EvNxWhskf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyRJG2rrw0E

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

What's the timestamp on those videos where someone has a few dozen graphics floating in front of them, most of them advertising elements forced upon them? I'm not denying the basic concept of a heads-up display.

The fact that you can't distinguish advertising from information means you're already lost, buddy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

A video about this distinction could be interesting. Instead, Hyper-Reality shows a blatant advertisement for Silky Soymilk hovering in the air.

Without being flip, the point is that the ads in Hyper-Reality are obscenely obtrusive to you and I; but they've been normalized to the person receiving them, and intermixed with information she actually needs to do her job as a disassociated serf. It's probably worth noting also that most Internet users are not power-users like presumably you and I; even with Adblock supposedly being ubiquitous, it's estimated that only 10% of browsers are using it. Your grandma's virus-infested botnet contribution is more the norm. Today's Silicon Valley CEOs very much have their eye on the third-world market depicted in Hyper-Reality.

Google Glass failed because it was perceived as too obvious a gateway into voyeurism, and was also defeated by its own poor marketing. It might have been different if they could have communicated out ways to enhance your driving experience or your grocery shopping, and foreseen the objections. Speaking as a person who worked on Field Trip (one of those two Google ads), it was conceived as a competitor to Yelp, not what it was advertised as--an AR tour guide. The tour guide was just a component to justify getting the rest of it fed to you.

Successor attempts at the hyper-connectivity of Google Glass (Alexa) have already emerged. Perversion of the supposed functionality is inevitable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's rising rapidly and the feature set of power users is where this technology keeps going. Grandma's ignorance is going to die with her.

I've demonstrated that this is not the case by pointing out how this problem endemic to connectivity is advancing to match our supposed mastery of it. And that's not even getting into truly malicious phenomena that are also increasing in complexity.

quote:

Anyways, the plausibility of that particular video is an irrelevant tangent of the point that the world of Ghost in the Shell doesn't assume that everyone is wired in like that and complaining about the holograms being inconsistent with a world the movie doesn't depict is silly.

Actually, the world of Ghost in the Shell explicitly states that--your inattentiveness and unfamiliarity with the subject matter is showing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well, point taken, the projections are plausibly visible to others.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's a lot of garbage that does well in Asia, it doesn't "redeem" anything unless you're stupid, and in the case of China in particular, god only knows how much of that gross goes into the hands of Party officials or whether it's even a real number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There really isn't an F&F movie better than a solid C+, and most of them come in far below that. Torque (2004) for example is far better than any F&F entry.

• Locked thread