Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
EDIT: STOOPID DOUBLE POSTS!

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Sadly the glasses only work for 30ish% of colorblind people, last I saw.

Yeah, well, I am blue-green-purple colorblind to a degree the military turned me down and my ex-wife would tease me about picking the wrong shirts and stuff, so yay for that 30%!

CJacobs posted:

Wow this lovely rehost straight up stole the video wholesale including the description, then slapped their own watermark on top of it. I guess the poo poo that didn't happen in this case was that that channel did not make the video! Here's the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCcxwieuDH0

And that is a serious rear end in a top hat manuever too. Clickbaiting scum.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

hogmartin posted:

"Meninist". I had to read that twice before I realized that it doesn't mean "subscribing to the theories of misogynist social philosopher Dr. Menin, whom I have never heard of". Maybe it's because it's capitalized for some reason. Also, I'm not terribly bright.

e: oh, or maybe she misspoke and meant to call him a Mennonite.

All I thought of was the old commericial jingle.

"Byyyyyyyy Meninist!"

(Sorry, I suck at YouTube time codes, but it is only about 28 seconds.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I like getting them from the bank because it makes people happy to see them in a tip.

Same thing for those golden dollar coins.

During WWII the airforce would recruit colorblind people to be bomber pilots.

Turned out aerial camouflage of the day was a hell of a lot easier for colorblind people to spot, for whatever reason.

:sigh: The Air Force was one of the three branches to turn me down.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

Well, we were very fancy. No jeans allowed, etc.

Incidentally, I am a British person based entirely on passport ownership alone!

OKAY MARRY ME NOW WE ARE MARRIED

<stands up and applauds>

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

Now I am become ADD, the destroyer of focus

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fixed that for you.

I'd say I hate both of you, but .................................................................................................................................................................................................................. But what were we talking about then?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

How hot of a pinecone are we talking here? More a 6 or a 9?

Also, how old is the pinecone waifu? Full grown or lolicon?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mostlygray posted:

I know this is an old post, but, from what I can tell, the reason is because those of us that are colorblind look for context, not color.

Disruptive camo doesn't work well on me because I look for movement and context. Ghillie suites excepted, they work quite well. I couldn't tell you if moss is green or red (I'm told it is green). Apparently I can't see pink at all; I just found out when I bought a pink shirt and I thought it was white. I have a mental color called "blurple" because I cant tell blue and purple apart well.

What people forget is that colorblindness doesn't mean black and white. It means that you use context for everything. When hunting, I don't look in the woods for brown vs green vs gray vs (some color I can't see, taupe perhaps? Mauve?). I look for shape and movement. This behavior gives the bombardier the ability to ignore camouflage and simply look for patterns. Dog's can hunt just fine and they can't see poo poo. I just can't tell if the server status light is green, amber, or red. I have to have someone look for me.

My catch-phrase is "What color is this?"

BGP colorblindness TESTIFY!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

I really hope it's me, I hope I'm the one with a date.

RareAcumen posted:

I've got a golden ticket.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Someone who describes the person they're flirting with as "a comely stranger" would probably be head over heels for the type of of person who gives out heads of broccoli instead of flowers. They will probably really like each other and can be insufferable quirky together forever.

I'm quirky, but I don't have a date OR broccoli. :sigh:

#foreveralone #FML

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, obviously buying in bulk saves money over time, but I always hear about things where like if you buy some absurd number it dramatically lowers the overall price to where it's actually literally cheaper, and not just cheaper by the unit, to buy dozens instead of a couple.

Or how I once bought a DVD of I, Robot and basically got a Robosapien I for sales tax?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Exactly - the biggest misconception I hear is people who think we just see certain colors switched to different colors, when in reality it's more that certain colors are just really ambiguous. Like you mentioned with blue/purple, there are certain colors that are just "something ambiguous that I guess is some shade of blue or purple" and the same goes for a lot of red/green/browns. Light shades of grey can also be confusing; when I was a child we had a black and white TV in the kitchen and I would talk about seeing red and pink on it because I couldn't distinguish between certain shades of grey and red.

My exwife loved to tease me about mine.

(Certain shades of blue green and purple just all kind of get the same sort of "that's a color" for me.)

"So, you going to wear that blue shirt tonight?"
"Yeah."
<comes out later>
"Thought you were going to wear that blue shirt tonight."
<looks at shirt>
"I did."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Your mustard is a piece of poo poo regardless.

Nope. Stone ground jalapeno mustard is awesome.

bringmyfishback posted:

I was loving joking. I've likely worked more retail than any of you.

Nope. Pretty sure you are the wrongest wrong that ever wronged.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

Seems to be the prevailing theme in the thread lately. Oh, well, more STDH, I suppose!

No offense intended. I have just worked a terrifying large amount of retail, ranging from health food to grocery to menswear to office supplies to a butcher shop to home electronics.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Filox posted:

Small world. 'Cause there was, like, one dial-up internet support guy for the entire world in 1998 and you kept me on hold for six months before I gave up.

New page content: I once had sex. With a human being.

Sad. Where's the whole quirky story where you meet (maybe by loaning her a printer), you engage in a mighty battle of wits with an atheist homeless lesbian soldier, and then you let your hair down and take you glasses off, everyone applauds, and you two have the best (and probably only) sex of your life?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

It's called STDH autonomy.

rear end in a top hat.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

There is no way that was written by anything other than a white guy.

Just for shits and giggles, I GIS'd the author. Wanted to know what someone named after a blanket looked like.

He's not really all that "black".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Tripped over this while reading about vodka made with water from fog catchers....

Apparently the anti-rape bar squad story is true.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/3-women-stop-an-attempted-date-rape-7952176.php

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

A lot of stuff that slides into this thread isn't actually stdh but just stupid poo poo where you wonder why the author bothered to go to the trouble. Lot of content-type overlap with the idiots on social media thread

see also, every post ever made on these forums

Wait, so you're saying my posting here is something stupid?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Max posted:

If you watch Hot Girls Wanted, the amateur scene is built on being a giant grinder of new talent coming in and then burning out after 6 months - 1 year. Then they quit and go back home. They have a scene where one of the women calls up her agent to tell him she's quitting, and he just says "Oh, OK. I think I'm going to watch a movie now."

They really don't care about them at all.

Quite a good, but sad, movie. I highly recommend it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Furia posted:

I looked up Targaryen and only got a bunch of game of thrones poo poo. Can someone please help me understand what it is?

TIA

Also:

I'm confused. It says it's a girl but guys would feel gay by being attracted?

I suspect, from the tenor of the rest of the post, that they are a transgirl.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

More restitution

They apparently have videos now? They're also terrible and obviously legitimaze the text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3rK4RRTxo

And exactly why were assault/battery charges not filed?

Oh, yeah, DIDN'T happen.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

There's a secret room on the right side there with a green armor pickup in it

:golfclap:

MizPiz posted:

Wonder if they can shoot a 40k movie in there.

That's ADORBS! Like we would EVER get a decent 40K live action...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MizPiz posted:

A man can dream. :mad:

I feel the same, but I just need to make sure neither of us are dreaming of Star Citizen...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

Brick

quote:

In this troper's Junior year of high school, a guy in his class that many people found terribly annoying was sitting behind him, throwing bits of paper in his hair. This troper told him several times to stop, and he did not. Finally, getting fed up, he turned around, grabbed the guy by his hair, pulled his head forward and bashed his head against the brick wall. The troper's friends were dumbstruck. The teacher did nothing but sit there, agape, while a lot of people in class applauded. This is not the best part. The best part is the guy this troper attacked did not retaliate. This troper recently found out why, from a person whom the victim told: he was terrified of this troper. This troper, who had never been in any sort of physical confrontation, nor committed a single act of aggression throughout high school. The guy went on to join Army Special Forces, and is still afraid of this troper, after four years.

So, ummmm, the troper is an animate brick wall? I would be terrified too!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

oldpainless posted:

This is egregious

Oldpainless? More like oldhumorless.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Photo of a card left at a memorial for Philando Castile

Maybe it's reading this thread too long but this feels like a fake.

Not so much. The misspellings are far too cutesy (and legible enough to allow any reader to make them out) as is the art style. All of which is too cutesy for reality.

Overall, I just think it was someone trying to make a point about the unexpected consequences of police shootings.

Done badly.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Megera posted:

Definitely stdh.

The bracelet isn't even out yet.

It is too, if your uncle works for Nintendo...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Like in the original, people just see a uniform or name tag and assume "Oh, they must work here". Even if the uniform is nothing like the one worn by the actual store employees. Usually when you tell them "Sorry, I don't work here" they get embarrassed and shuffle away, but some people will try to save face by doubling down and saying "Well you work in customer service anyway so you should be nice to me a customer and tell me where I find the loving beans" and chucking a hissy fit. That happens on NAR a lot more than it happens in real life though.

Oh, hell, I've been stopped in stores when I was nicely dressed, but NOTHING like an employee. For one reason or another, I might be dressed up and having to pick something up on the way home, and people might stop me and ask for help. I just usually nicely smile and explain "Sorry, I don't work here and never have. Looks like there might be someone over there though."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think I recently saw it while reading one of the earlier Discworld novels but it's such an obvious pun or play on words* that it's probably been around for longer.

*) REFERENCES LOL AMIRITE?!?

Ummmm, no. In Discworld it is a pune. :spergin:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

Whenever you have people bragging about being hackers and doing a lot of illegal activity, you can pretty much discard the whole thing. Turns out a criminal that doesn't want to go to jail doesn't engage in the whole "let me confess" thing.

I will match prices.

Right now, I am running a BOGO special. And ask us about our spacial FAMILY RATE!

(Customer's choice - Katana or Desert Eagle .50 on all hits.)

Also, for our discerning customers, we have the "Over-Elaborate Ironic Death Trap Club".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Prism posted:

Sure can. It just isn't real common. Intolerance (in that it might give you some digestive troubles later on but isn't like anaphylaxis) is less rare, but still hardly common. I mean, the whole event is still stdh but you can have meat allergies.

In the case of pork allergy the real allergen is usually albumin IIRC. It's also in cat dander so maybe don't eat that either.

Edit: a specific albumin, I forgot there are a bunch

As an aside, Maine Coon cats really underproduce the commen allergen that causes human-feline interaction issues, so, yeah, maybe a coon/part-coon is the kitty for you!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

oldpainless posted:

With how dangerous it is, why does anybody even fight anymore?

More like Old Ballless, amirite?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

sheep don't punch, they kick :smuggo:

I am a Christian and I would punch ALL of you in the face.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Atmus posted:

Doom is still on Mars/Mars's moons, right? How did they account for the difference in gravity?

Doesn't matter. Sci-fi artificial gravity. (The sound effects said old school Doom/Doom 2, not Doom 2016).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Re backpacks -- I was really stupid and didn't realize until sophomore year of high school that you could shuffle between books in your locker over the course of the day.

chitoryu12 posted:

Depends on your locker placement. I rarely used my locker because it would sometimes be in a separate building from all of my classes and I'd need to run (which is against the rules) to get anywhere in time. I ended up just adding a shoulder bag to my load to carry everything.

I've also read about some schools that tried to implement one-way hallways in a misguided effort to reduce crowding, which could force people to make a full circle to go to their locker because it was the wrong way down from the door.

Through hook or crook, I ended up with several lockers at the biggest high school I attended which were all over the campus. So I would park stuff in various lockers to make the trip easier. Later I spun things into a timesharing arrangement with others, which funded my soda and snack habit whilst at school.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Oh God, I just realized it.

It's me.

The troper that didn't happen.

It's me...

:sob:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

rchandra posted:

This was a plot element in Gordon Korman's Don't Care High.

Had to Google that one as I was unsure if it was real or you were snarking. You know, in a deadpan fashion. In order to make me have a Heroic BSOD so you could have your CMOA.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Trebek posted:

Please stop.

Hey, now, I didn't start the fight.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

Reformed troper?

Nope. Might as well be as I am someone who thinks they are funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Elfgames posted:

those seats are loving dusty as all hell, also maybe those women snuck the cucumbers in to eat huh, people sneak snacks into theaters more often than masturbatory aids so occam's razor.

But the cucumbers aren't!