Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Khazar-khum posted:

Either that, or it's pathetic.

Maybe if it was a very inexperienced doctor, but I've gotten the sense that med students have seen it all by the time they're done with their rotations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

http://imgur.com/gallery/4ghAxNS
When I make a romantic dinner for two, I also plate the forks the same way and put glasses on the same side.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He edited into his post a link to proof that he had a gf, but then removed it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

What was the link?

Just another imgur post that had already been deleted.

The followup on why it got edited away: "I'm still figuring this Imgur poo poo out lol I'll check to see if I can get it working again"
He figured it out the first time...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

"I had long ago heard the myth that if you lick the cream side of an Oreo, and stick it to a car, the paint will come off with it when the cookie comes off.
Now, I cant verify the truth of that myth, becuase I wasn't really given the chance to."

But he got the truck back later? It's a weird detail to throw in because of that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

lol:

Bonus lol for whoever tried to censor Courtney but not the hashtag.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Teachers made it a habit of texting their students in the original iOS days? Is that the blanket stdh?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it just the perspective or are her arms loving jacked?
They look normal sized but pretty muscular, not flabby.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The author's Mary Sue can't even correctly bait the opposition in the story:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-rudest-thing-someone-has-ever-said-to-you-and-how-did-you-respond/answer/Beth-Peck-2

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guy on Imgur goes high tech with his "it wasn't me" stories:
:nws: http://imgur.com/a/4rZnH

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drat, I need to screenshot this stuff. The guy posted a sext selfie of a girl in a low top with a boob hanging out along with a plea for help.
His long caption was (ok, self, you can do this. You've been training forever to write stdh by reading this thread) something like:
----------
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS PICTURE? [posts user-submitted rando nude pic]
Guys, I really need your help.

I was volunteering to upload some training pictures I took at work for our company's Facebook account.
I was outside smoking so I wasn't really paying that much attention, just batch uploading pictures.

But somehow, this picture got uploaded with them! And my girlfriend saw it on Facebook and asked a lot of questions.
I have no idea how this happened. I know I saw this picture posted on usersub. I must have favorited it somehow. [great explanation]

Nobody else has used or touched my phone. Except my brother, but he wasn't uploading any pics.

My girlfriend is very suspicious, so I'm trying to clear my name. I don't know that girl and haven't been cheating.
I'm trying to get anyone else to acknowledge that they saw that picture, too, so my gf will know it has nothing to do with me.
I know how bad this looks BUT I'M COMPLETELY INNOCENT AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS. Sorry, I'm getting so upset.

This probably won't work and my gf won't believe me, but I know it's true.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

What the gently caress is that light fixture thing?

That's one of the things you get issued when you become a Kingsmen.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

EDIT: Also, why mention the little sister and intimate thatit's an abusive household atthe beginning of the story? It adds nothing to the rest of it and is just creepy.

I think to make the brother seem like a tortured, angstly teenager. Like a 13yo Ryan Gosling from The Notebook.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

System Metternich posted:

Of course they are, it's right there on the map :confused:

Never takes me 2hrs to get from kissing to loving. :c00l:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

how me a frog posted:

So for you, say you're on a date and you've only just sat down and ordered at the restaurant and for some reason your date leans in and kisses you surprisingly, do you look at your watch and think that it is on now?

"Waiter, call us a cab," as I shovel food into my mouth.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Assistant TO the Regional Manager.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

> I live in a sci-fi/fantasy-deficient town

So do we all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Nothing would make me happier than this story being true, but considering that something like 90% of the population of Newport and Torfaen don't speak any Welsh whatsoever, it almost certainly belongs here.

I'm surprised that someone who hears a Celtic language like Welsh once in a while wouldn't recognize that it wasn't an Arabic language.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

I didn't feel that it was a sexual innuendo.
Still stdh

Wasn't it because it was listed in the CL missed connections section?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Someone get me the name of that sushi place -- that's some quick delivery.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

Do you know how long a visit to the hair salon takes?

She said she had a half hour left at that point, which means she knew it would be there like Domino's.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Solid Cake posted:

The Pokemon that spawn nearby spawn for everyone in the area, not just for one person, and everybody is given the opportunity to catch it independently. So all of these stories about people racing to catch a Pokemon and steal it from each other is bullshit.

Earlier in this thread, I swear someone pointed out the reverse. And thus
- story is about black guys telling white nerd where some rare pokemon is
- posters say that Pokemon Go doesn't work like that, that it doesn't spawn the same pokemon in the same spots for everyone
- I bring up that fact about the game somehow on a date and embarass myself. Whoopsie

e: argh, I found what I think is that story, but the image was removed:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772327&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=36#post461929875
None of the followup quotes back up my memory of things. Truly stdh!

kimbo305 has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Jul 29, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tickets -- airport or movie theater? Airport? I probably wouldn't shout back too hard in an airport, honestly :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

MTV had a show called Bully Beatdown with a very similar premise.

The non-reality setup for that show was that all the bullies had some MMA training and agreed to these fights. A few of the real MMA fighters struggled with some of the bullies, too. The fights were alternating kickboxing and grappling, and some of the bullies might be good enough at kickboxing to hold their own for a round.
So half the time, you didn't get to see as satisfying of a beatdown as the show's name would imply.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What's the message there? That a black woman would be revolutionary, as though that is a progressive stance to have?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I like the prof who knows there's a scientist who develop the theory of general relativity but not his name.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Prof has pretty poor reading comprehension. Gotta plug his book anyway.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gluten Freeman posted:

https://twitter.com/ghoulphilia/status/773287056059531264

https://twitter.com/ghoulphilia/status/773291087964364804

https://twitter.com/ghoulphilia/status/773292990383132673

https://twitter.com/ghoulphilia/status/773296379145879557

https://twitter.com/ghoulphilia/status/773303870286069760

listen, i am perfectly willing to believe a guy would very awkwardly and weirdly message a girl like this. but anyone who liveblogs a date is making it up.

(there's a whole thread if you click through, i just picked out the fakest)

Already gone? I guess it was fake :mad:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

call center manager posted:

I'm European and football is a huge deal in my country.

I know it's not what you meant but
SEE? YUROP IS A COUNTRY

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xen Tricks posted:

This is like 99% of the stories in this thread. Under the layers of obnoxiousness and stupidity there's just a sad, crippling need for someone, anyone please, to find them likable or entertaining. Or at least notice they exist for an brief period

Maybe he's (assuming) in love with her and will show her the NAW post and they'll fall in dork love. :3:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

2 posts up?

Nah, that post didn't happen.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Blurred posted:

Serious question: does knowledge of these disciplines really transfer into the ability to defend oneself properly in an actual fight situation?
If your definition of a fight situation is a referred contest, like an actual combat sports match, then maybe, depending on the art.

If your definition is a violent assault on the street or in a bar, then not really.
Street fights have a lot of variables, like number of people, possible weapons, different environmental hazards, intoxication, etc. In theory you could have a training program that puts your in these scenarios and drill them specifically. There are even a couple of courses that do that. But things go out the window very quickly, so the key self "defense" skill to have is to avoid risky situations and to be able to read when a fight might break out and either leave or descalate it.

I've been in a few amateur kickboxing matches and have had a knife pulled on me during an attempted mugging. I did a reflexive evaluation of whether I could punch or kick this guy and knock him out before I got extremely hurt from getting stabbed and immediately decided against fighting.

quote:

I mean, if you're a krav maga guru then you can probably handle yourself just fine

The quality of instruction with Krav Maga is extremely varied. You can get a certificate to teach KM in 3 days. Some schools can be very legit, have meaningful training, and have correct instruction about approaching self-defense. Other schools will just blow smoke up your rear end about how much of a badass you're becoming while teaching nothing of value. Krav Maga is certainly not alone in this kind of overhyping.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CannedMacabre posted:

Trained Marine, Combat Veteran and nearly got his head cut off.

To throw some more water on the Krav Maga deadly soldier marketing -- do you think Marines or any infantry spend that much time on hand to hand or hand to weapon combat? Would you want them to?

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think I've told this story in this thread, but after learning self defense and basics of Tai Chi, Aikido, Krav Maga, two guys tried to mug me, I broke a nose and started shouting, and then called 911 on myself, sobbing. The 911 operator explained what happened to me, and everything was (relatively) fine. Don't get into real fights; it's horrible.

You told it in the Martial Arts thread (which other folks should read if you've been at all curious about training).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

oldpainless posted:

With how dangerous it is, why does anybody even fight anymore?

According to my anthro class, because humans still love to get buck wild and do macho displays.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The NSA is gonna hire that guy to simultaneously monitor all of CARNIVORE's video feeds.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you're struggling on the ground and not making progress, you get stood up in judo, usually in seconds.
Stdh clarification: the instructor let her ploddingly wear home down on the ground.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's what I meant by stdh clarification -- I'm canon-explaining in STDH World.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Re backpacks -- I was really stupid and didn't realize until sophomore year of high school that you could shuffle between books in your locker over the course of the day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

call center manager posted:

wing chun isn't a form of kung fu

It is in the sense that kung fu is a common label for Chinese martial arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not gonna lie, was surprised to see there's only 16 Starbucks in Lexington, KY.