Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Khazar-khum posted:

It is if they plan on actually grilling. If they've got a pit full of charcoal and foil, well, what can I say

You're gonna have to rephrase in the form of 3 select Troper tales, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TBF, the poster is a fan of YA fiction.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

walrusman posted:

Nine or ten.

vv eh this guy is probably closer vv

Grade + 5 ~= Age, for those of you who never figured it out.

gschmidl posted:

Stop The Drug Hate

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't have a sister, so maybe I don't understand, but wouldn't it be pretty easy to judge how attractive your sister was, unclothed or not?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think the key distinction is between acknowledging that your sibling/relative looks good (normal) and being sexually attracted to them (weird).

I guess I think of the FML as saying "i didn't know she was hot until i saw her naked."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

baquerd posted:

These entirely white kids glorify this manner of speaking, because it is "real".
It's the tumblr author who's doing the 'glorification' here.
Even if the writer were a linguist who could more accurately capture poor black speech (and he definitely isn't), it's still racist to imply these kids were black and to put those words in their imaginary mouths.
It's easy to read between the lines what he intended before he got policed into that qualifier that they were of all races.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

baquerd posted:

I guess if they changed their tune as to race, that's an interesting datapoint. Where are you seeing anything about race on that site now though?
From snopes:
The description was later updated to include the modifier "of all races" following "urban kids" after readers opined that "urban" was a code word for black.

quote:

Are people assuming that, because this pattern of speech matches a poor (double entendre) black caricature, that it is intended to be directed at blacks?
dumb fucks who talk like this website portrays have very little to do with race, but much more about their conditions growing up.
making fun of how someone talks is about upbringing, not about race.
Just because it's not like how other socioeconomic groups talk doesn't make someone a "dumb gently caress." Thinking that way when you hear a certain kind of speech, no matter the topic of conversation, is... not making a great case.
And of course, by Occam's Razor, a site called Ghetto Hikes was not meant for its audience to think about all races of kids growing up to talk this way. It was meant for people to laugh in tune with their perceptions about black people.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

No one click on his avatar link.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

You can see from the pictures how one guy tried to stop the blade with his hand.

That's a very natural reaction. It'd take lots of training to do something else instead. And by stop with his hand, I'm sure it was more like cower and shield his head with his hands out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I mean my doctor doesn't even think about me when I'm there. Maybe if I offered to directly crowdfund his next house.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Uh oh we got House MD in here. Guys we got Gregory House on the floor!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm the ironically bad :iiaca: since some cars need harder driving to maintain proper motor function.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I know that in Chinese brush calligraphy, the brush is held in a certain grip so that it's vertical, and the hand doesn't touch the paper.

It's also top to bottom, then right to left. So a little more time for ink to dry before you return to a part you've brushed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some of us at work bought a set of cards like that for our tall coworker cuz he complained about how people always asked the same questions, and I can definitely see that guy using them.
Maybe not standing around to get photographed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

life is killing me posted:

Also lol at the unnecessary use of "introverted"

She gains +30% from these kind of encounters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

More realistic version would be the homeless guy goes up and asks to mow the lawn, and the Republican screams and threatens to call the police if he doesn't leave.

That's what he really meant by welcoming get to the Republican party.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

life is killing me posted:

Well a grunt would absolutely say something like that because it sounds moto

What is moto in this context?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Half of Silicon Valley.jpg

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I can't think of anything more physically awkward than trying to kick somebody in the face through the passenger window of a car. How do you not immediately fall on your rear end after your leg gets stuck?

It can be done, but probably not by the story teller.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

No way? No way at all? Hmmmm.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Most of the first paragraph was pretty believable and then it just dove off a cliff into "adult trying to write like a wacky kid" territory.

"Witch would pass a spell checker. I'm so smart." -- tumblr author

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wait, how monstrous are we talking here?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e: whoops wrong thread!

kimbo305 has a new favorite as of 05:28 on May 17, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lots of modern Corvettes are cool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That guy totally Papers Pleased his hometown.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

It's weird he's assuming that a woman alone with a man means they're loving.

OP is Mike Pence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

maswastaken posted:

Since when did Neil deGrasse Tyson have a blue mohawk?

Tyson was an undefeated high school wrestler and wrestled for Harvard.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

HECKIN? Really?

This really loving well pisses me off. If you want to swear, then swear. Don't use bowlderized swear words like "fudge" or "sugar" or gosh, heck, or darn. It sounds like you are self censoring, or are repressed as all syphilitic cunting gently caress. Thus diluting the point of whatever you are trying to say.

Especially if they try and conjugate their fake swears, as has happened with "heckin". It is really jarring.

I dunno, seems to have gotten a stronger reaction here than fuckin.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I.C. posted:

Why didn't anyone think of this sooner? Just plant more trees! So simple.

Tbf, isn't it just that logging companies never wanted to cut into their profit margins by replanting after their cuts? I mean, it still takes a loooong time to get a forest back, but they weren't even trying.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

karmicknight posted:

That's because it is a news brief written by someone having heard a stdh.wav and deciding, well, they don't have any ads they can put there.

Witness the skill difference between a beat writer and an NAR editor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What did ace mean here?..... asexual?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Old guy was just gutted that she didn't like his Gangnam style performance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hoshi posted:

Aren't those on the wrong side?

Not if they represent the Dad's point of view writing to his kid. And then sliding the "phone" under.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seems like a novel way to have spam reviews inflate your app score.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Whoooosh
E: ah dang, ninja edited

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I want specifics on what that writer thinks swallowing a lemon looks like. Unpeeled?
Is that a real turn of phrase?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

$200 later all the guy did was stick these little bladder things in the door and inflate them so that the frame flexed and the door unlatched. I was furious (especially because they quoted me $75 over the phone when I told them the issue)

"oooh, this looks like a high quality lock in a sturdy door frame. I'm gonna have to charge a $125 difficulty fee"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

More like "this guy seems like a chump, I'm gonna gently caress with him"

Yeah, that's what I said.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shangri-Law School posted:

Death to Patriot scum.

Wow, Edelman's not a bad writer.