Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Don't know what you mean so instead I'll offer you this awful comic

I wonder if they're aware it's the sorts like Barnes and Noble that are faltering. Independent bookstores are doing just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

I follow a book seller on Facebook. He often posts about the media wanting to interview him and they always end up wanting to ask about the demise of books and/or bookshops and/or shops in general and he has to say "I don't know what to tell you, I just opened a new book shop last week :shrug:"

About a decade or so ago, I remember a lot of doomcriers in the media going on about how Amazon was going to be the death of the independent bookseller/bookshop. Like Walmart drives mom-and-pops out. A lot of people still think that's the case, when it's the big chains that are the ones going down, like Barnes and Noble, or are gone, like Borders. And there are more independent stores, both new and used, and existing ones have seen an increase in sales.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Why zebra fish?

Just has a lot of traits that make it really suitable for testing, and its genome has been fully sequenced.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I mean, if the kid's parents constantly talk poo poo about Biden and how he should burn in hell I could see an 8 year old internalizing that.

If you ask an 8 year old who the think should be president, 99% of the time they'll say whoever their parents think.

Yeah, my son was a bit older (13) in the run up to Trump's presidency, but developmentally and emotionally closer to about 8 or so. Myself and his grandmother had been having conversations in our household between ourselves about Trump's rampant sexism problem, and when my son was asked who he would vote for (if he could), his answer was "Anyone but Trump. He doesn't like women!"