Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nappies are expensive.
Babies grow super fast, and clothes are expensive.
When said baby grows up enough to start walking, he starts to grow even faster, and shoes are more expensive than clothes.
What feeds all that growing is food, and when they are babies they need special food, (which as you guessed is expensive).
Etc.

Sure, there are ways to cut down on the expense of all that I listed, and you won't find a parent that doesn't at least try to minimize the expense. But children are loving expensive, from baby to adult they cost a fucktonne of money, and even more time, effort and love.

That's not to say they aren't worth it though. (awww)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't know why, but this reminds me of some middle class fuckwit who got himself on food stamps, and then went and bought lobster with them.

To somehow prove that all people on welfare are eating lobster and drinking champagne and storing both in *gasp* their fancy fridges.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

I don't think that's possible, I got denied for food stamps because I "made too much money" ($500 a month) soooo...

I may be wrong, but I remember an article he wrote about it. I think he was a student or some such. He was some smug right wing type trying to make a "bloody welfare queens" type point.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Tunicate posted:

you have glasses because you didn't listen to your mom and go play outside. it's gods will

In fact everything is god's will, except those pesky dinosaur bones, they were put there by satan, and God just didn't care enough to get rid of them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I am being very generous here, but perhaps his fiancee was 23 or 22 16 years ago when she died, and the guy simply remembers/comemmorates her 23rd birthday every year since then.

Although, reading on it seems he is claiming that the photo is a 'scientific edit' of her childhood photos. So the idiot is doubling down on his idiocy, instead of attempting a reasonable option.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

Wait, there's a literal list of allowed names in Austria?

Dunno about Austria, but I remember a news report about some parents wanting to name their kids something ridiculous in New Zealand and them going to court to allow it but the court told them they couldn't.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11770854

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Comptroll The Forums posted:

You have to hand it to Hitler for single handedly destroying a name, a surname and a mustache. Has anybody else in history matched his accomplishments in conjuring negative connotations? In another 100 years, will Adolf make a comeback?

Elvis.

If you see anyone under the age of 60 named Elvis, you know that their parents were massive tools, and that the kid had to deal with all sorts of poo poo due to their name.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

You really think someone would do that? Just go into a Toy Shop and preach lies?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Haifisch posted:

We've found the template from which all STDH arises:

But who got married? Who was literally shaking? Where was Alfred Einstein? This leaves so many questions unresolved.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Also given the content of the article, I can imagine that her "counselling" to these at-risk young girls is "you'll never find a nice husband if you don't stop dressing so slutty and talking back."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

"storytelling" means the same thing as "writing a thing on the Internet" apparently. I'm telling a story right now. I am a storyteller. A good one. Really.

As someone else on the internet, I must now tell you why I disagree with this post. And also how much I don't care about it. Repeatedly, and at length.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

CordlessPen posted:

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

ABCD Mudcrabs? MNO Mudcrabs. SARSARCDBDI's!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Also, the "it was always meant to be a joke" is the first defense of someone who was trying to claim their internet cred by posting STDH but was caught in their lie.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

bike tory posted:

Like normally those stories have a much more elaborate setup for why they get to treat some woman like poo poo for having kids. Usually its around how the woman is a neglectful or irresponsible parent and the kids have been screaming/making a mess/being rude to everyone etc, basically the kids and her parenting style are just symbolic of her undeserved sexual agency. But I guess it's a familiar enough trope now that they can just cut straight to the bit where they fantasise about getting to vent and be validated for their misogyny.

Perhaps it is because I am an idiot, but I never really noticed the misogyny in the "Child-Free" bullshit and IoSM stuff.

But you are right, they always rage against women withtheir kids, and when they attack, they attack the woman for being ugly, or a neglectful parent. Or if they are building themselves up, it is always that they are much better than this stupid, domestic creature that can only ever exist as a baby factory.

Again, maybe it was obvious to everyone else, but I only just noticed the misogynistic overtones that were there amongst the usual nerd/manbaby whingings.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I asked in the AUG thread, but it's also relevant here:

Does anyone remember the name of the girl who claimed to have been present at, and/or invented or wrote every popular song or book in the last 30-40 years despite being in her early 20s? She was particularly obsessed with Evanescence and Micheal Hutchence if I remember rightly?

Sorry for the stupid question.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Wow. I only knew about the sequel because it starred Melissa Joan Hart which made my inner child very sad. Can't wait for God's Not Dead 4: The cast of All That.

I can never hate the actors that act in these sorts of insane/weirdo/propaganda films, (the Atlas Shrugged films come to mind), too much. I mean it's tough being a working actor, and they have to pay their rent.

They don't necessarily believe or buy into the "Yay Jebus!" nonsense. They are just doing a job. They turn up, say the stupid words, humour the fundie nutjob behind the camera and then go home and deposit the cheque so their families can eat.

Of course, the people who make them and do buy in are a different story.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

"Honey, our daughter is an ace-inclusionist!"

*clutches pearls and swoons*

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The sad part for me is that the kind of people that post the "My child just totally destroyed the heteronormative society in which we live. Take that patriachy!" etc. don't seem to know or understand kids, let alone their own kid.

They are using them to make a point on the internet. Let me repeat, they are using their own flesh and blood to make a point to strangers. And that woman above is not only doing that, but forcing the kid to come on to prove these strangers wrong.

i.e. "Come to mommy little Kaylene, I need you to repeat this on camera so people I have never met and will never meet will stop thinking they are better than me."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

This is probably not the place for this observation but I'll put it here since we are talking about names etc.

One of my HUGE pet peeves is listening to the Australian cricket commentators mangle any and all non-Anglo sounding names. So when the Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, and even the South Africans tour people who have played the game internationally, and have been commenting for a decade stumble over the simplest of "foreign" names. And worst of all, then laugh about it with a "hehe, aren't these darkies funny with their silly long names?" blokey racist giggle.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

This is like the STDH/Urban Legend I heard about a couple that lived next to some Mafioso stereotypes and befriended them. One day they had their apartment broken into and all their stuff was stolen, and when the Mafioso stereotypes found out they said "Don't call the cops, just give us 24 hours", and using their secret magic shady underworld ways when the nice couple came home from work that day, they found all their stuff waiting for them on the front porch.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Tourettes gets kind of the same movie treatment. For probably the most inaccurate portrayals of each, check out Deuce Bigalow. I mean, the movie is pretty funny, but I think a lot of people didn't get that it was being overplayed for humor and ask people with tourettes why they aren't constantly screeching about cocks and balls.

I ask people who aren't suffering from Tourette's that very same question every day. I am yet to receive a satisfactory answer.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

"Do you have kids?"

"No, because all women are beneath me."

"You poor dear. Here, have a free sandwich. Maybe one day you will meet someone who deserves you."

*under my breath* "Of course that bitch thinks that there will ever be a woman good enough for me. Stupid oval office."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

As I understand it "Daddy-Daughter Dances" are the comparatively normal and wholesome version of Purity Balls.

As in, yeah it might be nice for some little girls to get dressed up and have a special dance and bonding time with their dads, but when you start to think about it, or scratch the surface, or take it more seriously than that, it gets very "Purity Ball" style creepy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Piss? Pfft, amateurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajeL87l3prM

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

freeedr posted:

The handlebar is the one that curls up on the sides like every hipster that uses facial hair in place of a personality has. It’s one of the few mustaches I haven’t seen Sam Elliot wear

I always thought a "handlebar" moustache was a Hulk Hogan-esque one that frames the top lip and goes straight down. What is the official name for the moustache I am thinking of?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

Obligatory posting of:

In which they include meals and 'working alone' and still have to pad it with a 'misc' section (for which personal exercise and errands count as work...) which is bigger than any of the others to get it over a 40-hour week.

18 hours of "meetings"

Which when you are a CEO, I would imagine consists of sitting at the end of a big table looking important in front of terrified subordinates, and yelling "increase synergy!" atthem for a bit, and then sleeping while your underlings do all the real work.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

If I've learned anything in life, it's that the cool stories never produce a scar, and "I bumped into a gate while moving boxes" absolutely will.

I would love it if in a gangster movie, that was the story behind Henchman#2's cool facial scar.

"You don't want to mess with Lenny there. You see his face? He got that when he bumped into the corner of his grandmas dresser."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I have a little triangle scar on the back of my head from when I was a baby, and somehow fell backwards whilst trying to stand up onto the skirting board.

Hair doesn't grow on scar tissue, so when my hair is very short, you can see the little bare patch in the back of my head.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

So the sign guy was waving his MAGA sign at an airport. A non uniformed cop from somewhere else who was hanging out with his wife at the same airport drags his wife over to talk to the dude. Scene missing. Wife now loves Trump.

Perfectly legit.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I love the elements of gay panic, the "not that there's anything wrong with that" need to explain themselves, as well as the fact that the one actual gay bloke is marginalized, even in the story about the 'heroic' crusaders against homophobia.

I mean if you wanted to be charitable, you could argue it is babbys first steps towards tolerance and acceptance, but if this did indeed happen, (which I very much doubt), then it's still weird stupid. Even for teenage boys.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

This is just abhorrent to me.

I can't even fathom how this arsehole of a woman thinks.

Firstly, she thinks its a bad thing that kids are getting vaccinated so they hopefully won't get sick. Then she puts out the bald faced lie that "they" are bussing in foreign kids, illegal foreign kids, to get this help. Knowing that this lie can only stir up racial hatred and anti-foreigner rhetoric and unfortunately violence. She thinks and hopes that people will believe this lie, but just in case it is provably wrong, (which it is), she covers her arse by saying that it is just an anonymous tip that she heard, and was only asking for clarification/confirmation.

gently caress you Ms. Lahren. You are a bad person.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

Slytherin mask?

You can buy your normal cloth face masks in all sorts of bullshit gimmicky merch styles. No doubt they sell them in Harry Potter styles to bleed further cash from the nerds.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

So America doesn't charge for plastic bags then?

In Australia a lot of places will charge you 5c for a plastic bag, (Coles and Woolworths actually sell heavy duty re-usable branded plastic bags for 15c). There was a lot of kerfuffle at first, but now everybody just brings their own bags to do the shopping, and if they forget pay the 5/15c idiot tax.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

There is literally nothing wrong with saving up a big wad of cash and then blowing that wad on an expensive indolent luxurious holiday. I myself have a big wad of cash saved up for my birthday next year, and I plan to throw it all away on a bunch of frivolous luxuries as hopefully I will be allowed to travel overseas.

But blaming the fact that you can do this because you don't have kids. Then shaming people who do have kids because they can't do such a thing twice a year. Then claiming that you aren't bragging as you explain how you will spend more next time, as you take multiple months off from your "high paying" job that you have at 26.

Then you are both a liar and an arsehole.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

You can get those?!?

I've been saving all of mine in a jar, who do I see to exchange it for a trophy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Why was this woman going to meet her date/fuckbuddy for the first time accompanied by her adult daughter?