Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Takeout, breakfast cereal, frozen pizza, ramen, anything with instructions reading "remove film before microwaving"

I (briefly) had an SO in college that ate like that, and one day she invited me over to celebrate an internship that I'd just gotten. Said she'd spent a shitton of time getting everything just right. I get there, and in the middle of her coffee table, flanked by candles, is a serving plate.

I'll give you a chance to guess what this fancypants I-slaved-all-day meal was.

Hamburger Helper

Now I'm no five-star chef, and I've eaten some po-folk/lazy-folk food in my life, but I've never beamed with pride at my ability to brown ground beef and then dump poo poo in the pan. I was floored. At first I thought she was kidding, but nope. If social media had been around back then, there'd definitely be a badly-lit photo of a heaping plate of ground beef box dinner tagged #congratsfai #cookingformyboy #wifeintraining floating around somewhere.

I, too, judge people on their culinary skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

Who was that infamous fat-activist that claimed that they could run a mile in a ridiculously short time (a minute, mayber?) ?

Are you talking about Reagan Chastain? aka Dances with Fat?

She's the one that's won "national dance titles" and is in "training" to do a full Triathalon despite being well past morbidly obese. I honestly can't tell if she's deluded or just cynically milking her supporters of PayPal donations and speaking fees at HAES gatherings.

Incidentally, I beleive most of her pre-Tri competitions were not even DNF, her listings reflect she never started the races (aka no show)

I mean, good on you if you're trying to be healthy (although I wouldn't recommend activity so demanding cardio-wise until your BMI is in line with it), but she's part of that vile HAES movement, and regularly dismisses the advice of her doctors since their advice always starts with "lose weight".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tracula posted:

“I stole some ketamine from the vet and injected it. I think there’s something wrong. Can I sue him?”
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3xfw1s/vet_clinic_is_using_tainted_ketamine/

Not sure if this one has gotten posted here. Even if it's fake this is just amazing in every way.

The comments are incredible. I know it's probably a troll, but he plays it pitch-perfect.

"I didn't steal it. I just took it when no one was looking."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

And the very next year, her family moves away as she tearfully declares she'll never stop loving him.

Ten years later he's a high powered lawyer, and she's running a center for underprivileged children in the same city. They wonder about the other when reminiscing, but never realize they work only blocks away from each other. That is, until the owner of the building the Center for Kids Who Don't Have a Chance decides it's time to raze it to the ground. He sends Super Smart Lawyer Man to serve notice on Granola Girl and they realize who each other are.

Has their love survived all these years?

No. Because Super Smart Lawyer Man knows that children know poo poo about everlasting love and has become cynical and bitter. The building is destroyed, Granola Girl moves to SF, and the underprivileged children grow up to perpetuate the cycle of poverty and ignorance.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 02:50 on May 17, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

I'm more about the fact that the supposedly adult writer of that story desperately wants two 13 year olds to gently caress. And when it isn't happening on his/her schedule, yells at them in order to facillitate it.

Wow. That's a way creepier take than I had. And based on most of the STDH I've seen, probably more accurate.

It just reminded me of the first 5 minutes of every lovely RomCom of the late '80s/early '90s.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I don't see how people can't see that he's funny. That was downright hilarious.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm trying to come up with something witty or at least mildly entertaining but the best I can do is 'uugghhh.'

That's all the wit it deserves.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah let's not open that can of worms please.

As long as the previous owner disclosed it, the buyer is responsible for getting someone to take care of the infestation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, Ryan Reynolds was pretty funny in it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I know they're just nerd fantasy. But every single time, they manage to piss me off. Every. Single. Time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ghostbusters II was understood as a cash grab because of Hudson's money issues when it came out. It was pretty much considered a sad, tired effort especially when considered against the original.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

I saw a girl I wanted to gently caress ao I gave her a love stare.

And since they all go for bad boys, make sure it's that real good intimidating stare. But make it smoldering.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Desk Lamp posted:

Around here zombie is used to refer to junkies of any race, since they're the closest thing to a real life zombie.

Same. Zombie=black seems like a stretch to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eponine posted:

The same thing happens with garage door openers, at least the ones that have the remote that clips to your car's visor, except a much lower variable, like 1 in 20 instead of 1 in 300 being the same since garages don't move. This is an issue; however, if you are a contractor building a subdivision and you get a deal on a lot of 50 for all of your houses on a block, you should probably test them to make sure the matching ones aren't neighbors.

Not so much the case anymore since openers haven't used dip-switch coding in a long time.

Granted there's still weaknesses in the current solution, but a random remote triggering your garage door opener isn't one of them anymore.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Can you ever be just "whelmed"?

Since the verb form of whelm means "engulf or submerge"... yes?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

I tried to pick and choose from these but they're all so incredible.

These have put me very close to a rage state.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

What about inundated instead of undated?

How about irregardless.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WrenP-Complete posted:

I can do it tomorrow during work hours. I made so many Markov bots I thought goons were sick of them but I love my nonsensical bots so much.

Didn't you do one for HP:MOR? If it was you, that was wonderful. Keep doing these.

(if you can stomach it, the John Ringo thread might be amusing)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WrenP-Complete posted:

oh, it would help me with scripting our bot if we had some archive of lots of poo poo that didn't happen stories. like i know i can use NAR or whatever but that's going to make the bot sound like that. maybe the op?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772327&userid=142665

That should have plenty of raw data for your needs. I'm not sure how well that will work for scraping if you're automating input.

Maybe grab a bunch of reddit TIFU posts?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The only thing that did happen, was the racism of the author.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ah, the good old "some of my friends are black" rears its head.

And loving cardboard. That's the nail in the STDH coffin for me. Like it's really hard to get some enamel spray paint in a close enough hue to cover that poo poo? At least until he has the time/money to get the panels re-painted. If I saw a contractor van with patches of gray or off-white paint on it, I'd assume "ah, must have been some vandalism" at the worst. And that's if I'd even think anything of it at all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Furia posted:

Ok but why would you deploy a loving helicopter out of loving nowhere?

Can I just send out helicopters wherever by tipping the cops?

If you live in LA and tell ICS that there's a sweatshop filled with illegal immigrants, sure.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

life is killing me posted:

It came from a STDH about some kid who was going to get his rear end beat, the troper quoted the guy and some goon posted that he first read it as "I SHOULD EAT YOUR rear end RIGHT NOW" instead of "I SHOULD bEAT YOUR rear end RIGHT NOW"
Pretty sure Einstein was the one that misread it.

life is killing me posted:

We laughed, we cried, someone somewhere killed themselves, the world kept spinning
I distinctly remember standing and applauding with everyone else.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I am hesitant to share since it is so personal. However, I am appalled by a situation I experienced tonight and just have to talk about it.

Tonight was my second appointment with a therapist. I lost a child several years ago and find therapy beneficial every now and then. My first appointment (pre-election) went well. The therapist, a male in his sixties, seemed nice enough. We spent the session just going over some history and setting goals. A typical therapy "getting to know you" session. Tonight was not so typical. Upon arrival, I informed him the last few days have been hard for me due to feelings associated with the heartbreak I felt over the outcome of the election. His response to my statement shocked me. The therapist said "the other side as felt that way for years". He then began to question why I have progressive views of politics. He actually asked me to explain why I thought partial birth abortions are ok. He stated the hot mic talk was what guys talk like in locker-rooms. The man stated the media made up the hate rhetoric. Then the political science lesson began! He informed me that Roe V Wade was a case about privacy and not anything to do with abortion or women's rights. The Supreme Court doesn't have any power and that they have over stepped their place in regards to gay marriage rights. The decision should should be left to the states and if a gay couple lives
in a state that does not recognize gay marriage they should move to one that does.

After 45 minutes of him talking AT me, he abruptly says "so you had an abortion, right?" Umm...No. I had finally had enough. I informed him that you don't have to have had an abortion to be pro choice. I don't have to be lesbian to support LGBTQ rights. One doesn't have to be a person of color to support racial equality. He looked at me with condemnation and asked what my husband thought of my views. Really?! I am so angry right now! I sought assistance with grief and instead received the third degree and judgement. Well, I am no longer sad .. I am PISSED!

Leave a bad Yelp review.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:psypop:

WHY DID I READ THE COMMENTS! OH GOD THE HORROR!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Whitlam posted:

A few years ago a friend and I found a phone at a bus stop. We thought there was a decent chance it could belong to someone we knew since it was outside our high school, and it didn't have a passcode, so we opened it up and went into photos to see if we could recognise anyone. We couldn't, but there were many, many photos of drug making equipment and drugs, and a few selfies (lesson one of a burner phone: do not use it for selfies). We went into messages (because by that point we were straight up just snooping) and a heap of the conversations were deals, with quantities, times, and pickups listed. We dropped the phone to the police and showed them what was on it, who found it hysterical.

I mean yeah that bud convo is stdh but holy hell do people make it easy for the police to lay charges these days.

That's pretty funny.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I dom't understand the klingon one. Is it a burn calling him a nerd? I thought tvtropes love nerds

No it's saying that if you think knowing Klingon (or any other idiot "language" like Tolkien Elvish or Esperanto) means you're bilingual, you're a moron.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Trick question. There was no kid nor was there a dad. In fact there wasn't even a note.

:aaaaa:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spalec posted:

Do we have a thread for "Should be STDH but actually did happen?"

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/12/17/reddit-user-gets-bill-gates-for-secret-santa

Reddit does a secret Santa, one woman got Bill Gates who sent her a shitload of stuff including an Xbox 1 and Legend of Zelda Mittens. A representative of Bill Gates confirms it's legit and he's actually done it for a few years now.

Bill Gates is a pretty cool dude.

I love that he took her profile picture (which included her, her husband and her dog) and photoshopped himself in and then put Santa hats on everyone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I've never gotten a wrong text, just lots of wrong calls. Does anyone just type numbers into their phone to text anymore?

I've gotten a couple. But they were all "huh. This is the number she gave me last night at the bar..."

Apparently, some woman is handing out my number as pest deterrent to guys who won't take a hint.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kontradaz posted:

He desperately needs a Xanax is what I got from that block of text with 5 mentions of anxiety and breathing excercises.

Well he's hysterical because gay, obv.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My favorite line is "200 for you is like 800 for real people"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

My favorite was a troper years ago on the TT forums asking about the plausibility of karate chopping a person's head off. People coming to the thread were telling him no, that's really not a thing that can happen. But he just kept begging. "What if the guy was MILITARY TRAINED" "what if he went REALLY FAST" He was so desperate, he really wanted to write a story where the protagonist karate chopped a guy's head off, using one of his regular old human hands, but it needed to be REALISTIC AND PLAUSIBLE ISN'T THERE SOME WAY. CAN'T YOU FATHOM SOME INSTANCE, SOME CONDITION, SLLLLICE THE HEAD OFF WITH HIS KARATE TRAINED HAND????

I bet Black Dynamite could do it with his Kung Fu. :colbert:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Some burglars in Spain got hacked up by their victim when he grabbed a sword recently. No missing limbs, but the results were almost absurdly bloody.

:nms: due to pictures of the wounds.

Holy poo poo, they got wrecked.

Even better (for the story), the dude who sliced and diced them was in his 60s or 70s.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

hey look kmart has a list of all their currently operating stores

http://www.kmart.com/stores.html

we don't actually need to self-report them town-by-town

Yeah, they're actually doing better than their sister store: Sears.

But the entire Sear Holding Corp is slowly being driven out of business. Eddie Lampert is tries to run Sears and KMart as the prophetess Rand would want. As you can expect, it's not turning out well. Zero money is churned back to the stores or infrastructure. Instead they buy back stock and try to be a poor copy of Amazon online.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hardcordion posted:

Something like this happened to me once actually. I don't quite remember if it was due to delays or whatever but my dad and I ended up being two of only about seven or eight passengers on-board for a flight that would normally hold at least 120. I don't know how believable the Metalica and the pilot's comments are but the crew definitely seemed more relaxed than usual and the attendants told us jokes and stories about working in the airline industry over the PA. It was pretty rad honestly.

I had it happen, but it was definitely pre-9/11 on a non-stop from SF to Chicago on an early AM flight on a Thursday. You used to get these kind of flights every now and then for planes returning back to their home airport. I imagine they're really rare these days since airlines almost always overbook, not to mention fuel prices don't make it economical.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

drat you! I was going to post the same video. :argh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The gently caress is a "Libby"?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

We, as a culture, really gotta start reigning in use of the term PTSD.

Agreed.

See someone die in front of you? Probably PTSD

Someone forgot to call you by your preferred pronoun? Not PTSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dejawesp posted:

Time for a swing at those pesky transsexuals I see. What lead up to this?

I was referring to the Tumblr posters who say they're "literally shaking" because their dragon-kin status isn't recognized by everyone. Which obviously causes Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

But you read it however you want.