Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'd be shocked if there even was a friend, that reads like OP desperately needing to share their profundities with the world

Yeah there was definitely no friend, that's just the OP. Nobody recounts a huge list of exact quotes from a friend like that, but they certainly embellish (or fabricate entirely) things they said/did/thought would be cool if they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

walrusman posted:

For the 200th time in this thread, lemme just say that I'm glad social media wasn't around when I was a teenager.

My livejournal was a travesty but fortunately nobody really ever read those except people you know.

also I'm pretty sure every character portrayed there is the OP and she's one of those people that pretends to have multiple personalities in an effort to appear unique.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That's somehow worse than strangers.

well in the case of my LJ it was only people i knew via a MUD text game. We all had embarrassing livejournals. Some of us even had xangas.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Not buying it, she didn't marry the manager at the end.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jurgan posted:

40 ounces a day isn’t that much...

is it? :ohdear:

Just drink diet soda so you don't have to worry about this. I used to go through 12ish diet cokes a day when I was in college. Every week I'd go to sam's club and get a couple of those giant 36 packs.

Now I drink a lot less because I don't have a sams club membership and it's too annoying carrying that much soda up 3 flights of stairs in 12 pack form.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Or you could drink water instead.

I do that too. I get antsy if i'm not drinking something basically all of the time and sometimes you want a little more variety than just water and coffee.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I do drink diet soda (though I've cut back a lot because I don't like feeling my heart pound all day), but then I get people telling me that's just as bad because the taste of sugar tricks your brain into wanting food or something. Basically, no matter what you eat or drink someone will say it's slowly killing you.

That's one of those studies that people assume is true and remember forever but never follow up on it, just like the alzheimers connection. I'm not saying it's good for you, but most of the studies you are thinking of are old wives tales/stdh.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

clockwork chaos posted:

movie narcolepsy sucks, its just haha the person passed out, aint that wacky! Instead of the constant tiredness that builds up because no matter how much sleep you get, none of it is restful and you're so exhausted every day that just staying awake is a constant losing battle of attrition

Tourettes gets kind of the same movie treatment. For probably the most inaccurate portrayals of each, check out Deuce Bigalow. I mean, the movie is pretty funny, but I think a lot of people didn't get that it was being overplayed for humor and ask people with tourettes why they aren't constantly screeching about cocks and balls.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I thought schizophrenics just hallucinate about Paul Bettany and throw desks out of windows.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The_White_Crane posted:

Literally on the previous page, dude.

I still consider it new content imho. I refuse to click on multi-part tweets so I just read the headlines of each of his dumb stories.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Does anyone actually do their contractions in exponent format like that? It looks so unnatural.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That wouldn't sway anything unless you have a clip on hand of alex jones saying it. They base everything they believe on youtube clips.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If my partner was freaking out and dissociated from reality for "a few minutes" I would probably be on the phone for am ambulance. STDH stories in their exaggerated form, which seems to be the most common kind, always seem to forget just how long a solid minute is when it comes to doing weird poo poo. It's nothing when you're just watching TV or having a normal conversation, but a few minutes feels like an eternity when someone is ranting about ghosts and spiders and poo poo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't find that whimsical in a good way. Some people might find it cute, but the majority of the plane is going to hate everyone involved instantly. People get shouted at on flights for not shutting their baby up as it is, if people were "shriek singing" annoying disney songs I'm pretty sure a in-flight brawl would break out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I looked her up and: what the hell is a "filker"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

maswastaken posted:

Should I be saying "Nice of her to save her Z material for Twitter" or simply, "How?"

You'll find out by looking up who the award was given by. It's hardly some prestigious literature award. It's just an award given out at a convention almost 10 years ago.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Arivia posted:

She’s won a Hugo and a Nebula, which are legit sci-fi literature awards.

That would have required reading more than the blurb on the side of the page from wikipedia when you google her name. It was hard enough getting past the word "filker".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I like stories like that because you can tell that person has no idea how long ten minutes of solid, unbroken laughter (follow evidently by twenty more?) actually is.

yeah that amount of laughter probably only occurs in reality in totalitarian regimes where you'll get executed if you stop laughing at the Supreme Leader's joke. Even a solid minute starts to get pretty excessive for a one-off joke/story.

other things stdh authors apparently don't understand: how absurd it would actually look if someone turned white/purple, their jaw drops and they sprinted toward the exit while everyone claps at how they got verbally owned.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The General posted:

I can laugh over 10minutes straight at dumb poo poo I find online, but at that point I am drunk and very tired and even without the giggle fits I would be in no shape to operate on somebody.

Yeah I think sobriety and doing it in front of other people is key to judging whether it's normal or not. If it's a story of some drunk person alone at home giggling at a dog driving a boat for 10 minutes, sure, that's believable, but if you did that in public/at work people would definitely think you've lost it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I always view self congratulatory tweet threads as suspicious, and honestly i'm sure some of it is exaggerated, but not offensively so. It does kind of make me roll my eyes to fish for backpats but it's basically just "i did my job on an airplane". Nobody clapped, nobody burst into song, it wasn't livetweeted with grandmas sneaking up the aisle joining in on it, it probably happened.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The worst variant of that form of stdh are when they combine it with dr who roleplaying. There's a classic one where someone is laying in a jeep or something and has the tardis noise as a ring tone and somebody recognizes it and it's just awful.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I know goons not getting jokes is a thing in this thread, but it literally says at the end that it's a loving joke. :ughh:

The implication, even though it's obviously not true, is that someone really shared that story and it "really happened" and their friends just started sharing it like that. They add the "if you read it to the end" bit to "test" their friends. My family does it all the time with things saying they got in a bad car accident or are pregnant etc and have a "lol NOT congratulations on reading until the end just wanted to share some laughs XD" thing tacked on

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Butt Detective posted:

Low hanging fruit, but

yikes. The glaring beacon that it's stdh is how they always "loving love" all this weird+spooky stuff supposedly happening to them. Also their lists always escalate from pretty mundane stuff like talking in your sleep or saying weird things as a kid to "angels watch out for me and i am super cool and powerful and am definitely not using my dreams to fill a void in my personality".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

GreenMetalSun posted:

It happens. :3

Here's my hot take, the STDH about the meeting? Written by a teenager. That quirky dream STDH? Written by a 36 year-old woman.

Yeah that's how I read the second one, like it has the tone of an approaching middle-age person who has never been told to tone that kind of stuff down. Plus teenagers typically would portray it as a dark+twizted psychopath thing instead of this "mystic immortal reincarnated soul who talks to the angels" or whatever.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

poo poo that has never not happened: someone saying "I don't want to hear about your dreams" and being met with a flood of "yeah i agree, but this one was just SO weird, can't make heads or tails of it".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Is calling goggles "scuba glasses" a thing, anywhere?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Like, just, tell them "no, I can't match prices I can't find online."

Edit: I think the one "gently caress off your banned for life" policy would be a good morale builder, but it would never be used over haggling over prices. Which stores don't actually let anyone do, unless they're nation wide chain is in a Turkish market in an Indiana Jones film.

I'd be hesitant to ever use it, because I doubt your managers "backing" will protect you much if someone from corporate found out/witnessed it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I come from restaurants not retail and haven't worked at anything that could be called a "nation wide chain," but have actually banned people.

well, there's banning people, and then there's actually telling them to "gently caress off". They mean the same thing in the end, but I think people are far more likely to make a big stink about it to your bosses if you curse at them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Len posted:

Alternatively

Our new site manager prefers Old Carolina to pizza but same thing

We just had a pizza party to commemorate our manager getting promoted. Over a decade of service and being basically the main reason our entire division was successful for that entire time, and what does the company give them? Some dominos (at least 2/3 of which had olives on it, rendering it to be garbage imho). It's honestly embarrassing. At least take the guy out to a fancy dinner some other time or something.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Amen

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think their silence was more because they were shocked they found such an easy mark. They got all they wanted and more. Any life lessons or ownings occurred entirely in the writer's head.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My only noticeable scars are one on my left forearm from when my friend in high school found a screw on the floor of the bus and slashed me with it as a joke, and also my other forearm when i drunkenly fell off a roof in college and grabbed the gutter with my other forearm instead of my hand. I just tell people I can't remember where they came from.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Only thing left out is the protagonist magically suddenly remembering exactly who the bad guy was and going on a detailed list of all their rude antics and how the restaurant totally owned them by messing with their food.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Skwirl posted:

What did The Rock do?

Endorsed Biden/Harris.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah, that's definitely how conversations happen. One party says literally one word, the other parties go on interrupted on their epic speech.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

"Even though I don't brag"

somehow I find this very, very hard to believe.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's pretty much the ultimate "childfree" community dream they all pretend to be living on reddit...being rich and getting to rub their expensive vacations and constant traveling in the filthy breeders' faces.

almost everyone I know in real life who considers themselves part of that community never seems to do poo poo. They just rant on reddit and leave passive-aggressive comments on any friend's facebook post dealing with a child and/or mothers/fathers day.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bike tory posted:

Do people without kids really get heavily judged? About half the people my age that I know don't have kids and don't plan to, it hardly seems like a big deal.

There are people without kids, then there are people who make not having kids their primary identity.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

cum trophies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

You can get those?!?

I've been saving all of mine in a jar, who do I see to exchange it for a trophy?

it will solidify into one over time, just be patient