Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

sweeperbravo posted:

I think as long as they're not dominating the thread they're fine

Yeah, as long as we're not seeing pages of them at a time, they're okay. There's only so much "twelve-year-old kid trying to sound cool" you can take in at one time.

Without missing a beat, I linked this for the new thread:
and this image's name...

...was thanks lil nigga

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Can't forget this little piece of perfection:

quote:

RANT TIME

Harry Potter book release: don't worry, no spoilers.

Showed up at seven, in full costume for a nine am release. Devoted no? I was one of the few to dress up, and I was the best-dressed. I'm not being vain, I honestly had the most detailed and accurate costume there.

We were told in line, that the best-dressed person in line gets to open the box and have the first Half-Blood Prince book. So, I'm a shoo-in, aren't I?

WRONG.

loving moo brings her bratty sprog in at 8:59am dressed in a generic Kmart cape with stars and glitter and loving gaudy BLAH. Twig for a wand.

OMG WITTLE PWESHUS SO CUTE OMG YOU CAN OPEN THE BOX AND HAVE THIS BOOK YOU CAN'T READ AND *fawning fawning, blatant breederism etc*

THE loving KID WON'T EVEN REMEMBER THIS. THE BOX OPENING WAS MINE. MIIIIINE.

I wouldn't have minded if someone had said "Oh look Sass, you are best-dressed
but would you mind if this land-mine amputee opened the box instead?" I would
have said "Absolutely no problem. Go for it." But no. loving CROTCHDROPPING
GETS THE HONOUR. I'm furious. On principle of course, not out of any sense of entitlement. Well yes, entitlement also. But I WORKED FOR IT, I DESERVED IT.

I made an effort. I spent money making an effort. I showed up early. I will remember and treasure this event for ever and eternity. And I'm passed over for an ugly little brat with a sparkly tie. Woo loving woo.

I didn't stab her in the eye with my wand. I WANTED to. I talked about doing so
VERY loving LOUDLY. I was going to eviscerate her mother with the cover of my
brand-new copy.

I loving hate breeders and child-lovers. loving GO TO HELL.

I'm so pissed about this, sorry. It's just that in ten years time, this kid won't remember what she was doing on July 16th 2005. In ten years time, I will be remembering how I was deprived of this nerdly honor by an opportunistic twat breeder and her shitling. I'm hurt. All my life, nothing has gotten to me more than being deliberately ignored, or passed over. Honestly; that's the sort of thing that can make me cry in public. Or key your car. Or viciously murder you and your family in the heat of frustration and never-ending denial

Congratulations breeders, you win.

Edited to add: To all of you who are calling me immature etc, I'd like to add that you make a very good point, but have you considered GO gently caress YOURSELF? If you're so anal-retentive, go back to the other community and go on with your breeder-humping. Also, to the person who submitted this to fandom_wank, I seriously (no sarcasm) thank you. I've always wanted to be there!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Libandano Urfam posted:

My least favorite things in STDHes are overused ellipses.

You have a bright career ahead of you either voice acting in anime or narrating children's books

No obligatory Homestuck tindeck tag, 9.5/10 :golfclap:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

AlbieQuirky posted:

The restaurant said it happened, the waitress said it happened. Not clear how much fact-checking you can do beyond that. I would just have not run the story.

Years ago, you might've asked for her bank statement and a look at the restaurant's books in order to verify what went down. The restaurant would also have record of the customer's name because a credit card was used--wouldn't have been tough to track him down (even if he did ask to remain anonymous, this would obviously be for fact-checking purposes, not to put in the story).

The restaurant saying "uumm yeah that happened" is a no-brainer because it's free advertising from a major TV network.

But no let's just run every STDH that will get us pageviews and ad impressions because that's what journalism is now

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

My general rule with those types of old GBS posters who made entire threads about the crazy stories they have is that they're all STDH.

Until recently, I assumed everyone knew they were made-up. Entertaining as hell, but fiction nonetheless. The images of flaming street sweepers careening down a highway, an elderly security guard magdumping into a priceless tribal wooden carving because some jokers rigged up a dead snake in front of it, and a guy getting lost by HR and continuing to be paid despite having no job duties are really cool, but at the end of the day, you know they're not true. I seriously thought that everyone in those threads was just egging the storyteller on by asking what happened next, gushing compliments, etc. Haha nope, people actually thought a guy secured his home with an elaborate R/C car "lock" and opened a bathroom door to find a man lying in fecal lasagna holding a saxophone seriously goons what the gently caress

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/4ghAxNS
When I make a romantic dinner for two, I also plate the forks the same way and put glasses on the same side.
Did he really hang a brassiere in the doorway to lend legitimacy to his claim that a girl had been in the room?

"i didn't notice it haha"

EmmyOk posted:

That picture is so grim
My thoughts exactly. If there was a girl in that room, she's bound and gagged just out of frame (and apparently missing her bra)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Eponine posted:

What do people who think a mediocre spaghetti dinner is romantic and fancy eat on the regular? This is a serious question. I'm not a great chef and it's not like I plate my meals, but what do you usually eat that makes that special?

Takeout, breakfast cereal, frozen pizza, ramen, anything with instructions reading "remove film before microwaving"

I (briefly) had an SO in college that ate like that, and one day she invited me over to celebrate an internship that I'd just gotten. Said she'd spent a shitton of time getting everything just right. I get there, and in the middle of her coffee table, flanked by candles, is a serving plate.

I'll give you a chance to guess what this fancypants I-slaved-all-day meal was.

Hamburger Helper

Now I'm no five-star chef, and I've eaten some po-folk/lazy-folk food in my life, but I've never beamed with pride at my ability to brown ground beef and then dump poo poo in the pan. I was floored. At first I thought she was kidding, but nope. If social media had been around back then, there'd definitely be a badly-lit photo of a heaping plate of ground beef box dinner tagged #congratsfai #cookingformyboy #wifeintraining floating around somewhere.

NAR posted:

PAWN SHOP, RETAIL | LOS ANGELES, CA | UNCATEGORIZED
(A customer enters our pawn shop, and I motion her over to my counter.)

Me: “What can I do for you today?”

Customer: “Yeah, I wanna pawn my internet.”

Me: “Do you mean your computer? If it’s complete and relatively new we’ll take it. You just have to bring it in so we can test it out first.”

Customer: *getting angry* “No, man, my internet!”

Me: “Umm…do you mean your modem? Because we don’t take modems or routers by themselves.”

Customer: “No man, I wanna pawn my internet! My INTERNET!”

Me: “Like…your AOL account or something? We can’t do that either.”

Customer: “No! I wanna pawn my internet, man! THE INTERNET!”

Me: “Ma’am, if you can actually bring me the internet, I’ll give you $100 out of my own wallet and you can keep it.”

Customer: *happy again* “Okay, I’ll be right back!”

(She never came back.)

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Apr 21, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I wanna give this kid a wedgie so fierce that his evolutionary ancestors would feel it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

flosofl posted:

And the very next year, her family moves away as she tearfully declares she'll never stop loving him.

Ten years later he's a high powered lawyer, and she's running a center for underprivileged children in the same city. They wonder about the other when reminiscing, but never realize they work only blocks away from each other. That is, until the owner of the building the Center for Kids Who Don't Have a Chance decides it's time to raze it to the ground. He sends Super Smart Lawyer Man to serve notice on Granola Girl and they realize who each other are.

Has their love survived all these years?

I have the soundtrack pre-ordered. It features Up-and-Coming Young Male Singer/Songwriter's hit "Slow Acoustic Guitar Song With Lyrics About Love"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bremma posted:

Found this one on Facebook this evening.
Harlan Ellison didn't include it in the story, but this is actually what inspired AM's humanity-killing rampage in "I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Drunk Tomato posted:

Yep, makes sense that someone would confuse these two totally identical looking pills.

Eh, the 10mg pills are pretty close.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Every major/frat/extracurricular club/whatever is "the one that parties the hardest"

Accountancy: man they look all stuffy and professional but when they cut loose hooooo boy, they party the hardest

Music: bunch of stressed-out people take long bus rides to go to state competitions, how do you think they relax on the way back? they party the hardest

Math club: say what you will about pocket protectors--have you ever been to a math club party? they party the hardest

Law: it's such a competitive major, people even sabotage each other by tearing pages out of law books at the library! you know when they finally relax they party the hardest

Astronomy: night is the perfect time to see the stars, but dude that's not all they get up to after hours, fuckers party the hardest

Theatre: duh, ever heard of a "wrap party?" they party the hardest

Spanish: queero uno cervesa y un tequila por favor! fiestan mas duro

Aviation/Flight: airline pilots are notorious drunks because they party the hardest

Philosophy: if you knew that when you graduated you'd be in debt to the federal government to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars for a loving philosophy degree, you'd be drunk as gently caress all the time, too. They definitely party the hardest

Seriously, that urban legend drives me bonkers, along with "X building was built for Y nefarious purpose" and "she gave the entire football team oral sex and had to have her stomach pumped"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

FuckenPunchOn posted:

Fuuuck I was wondering when one of these would drop in the thread. Talk to any teenage/early 20s martial arts person and they'll gleefully tell you five or six bullshit stories about the time their sensei won a 4 on 1 fight against armed Triad members in a video arcade.

Give them enough time and sooner or later you'll hear that "his reflexes are so highly tuned that he tells his girlfriend not to sneak up on him from behind or he'll snap and kill her with his bare hands before he knows what's going on" or that "he has to register himself with the local police station whenever he moves house because his body qualifies as a deadly weapon" stories.

"Sensei" has to register when he moves, but it's not for that reason

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ibntumart posted:

divorce fantasy

1. Thanks. Now I'm craving Wendy's

2. "We both worked long hours for a long time, so naturally things were a bit dicey" vs. "I worked part-time for six months prior (because I asked to have my hours reduced) so I ended up with 'generous' support payments"

3. I "accidentally" discovered her impending infidelity while charging a previously unused device for some random reason (happens to people all the time, why are you saying it's "a bit coincidental?") and silently watched it play out for literal weeks rather than pulling her aside and saying "Yo, we are raising a girl who is in her awkward teen years and we just had another kid less than a year ago, time to reign this poo poo in and focus on family if only for our kids' sake"

4. My lawyer didn't at any point go "Dude, don't do anything loving stupid you read in some revenge fantasy on the Internet. Just let me draw up the paperwork and we'll get this done as smoothly as possible. Also don't gently caress with your shared bank accounts--if you feel like you absolutely can't help yourself, make copies of your most recent bank statements and pay stubs and send them to me to keep yourself busy so you don't look like an rear end in front of the judge when he finds out you did something colossally stupid while waiting on your wife to cheat on you, like take huge withdrawals out of all your shared accounts, or bully her out of the house you both own. Also absolutely do not intentionally get a false PTSD diagnosis ok"

5. I get mad pussy now, also I have the kids and house and she sends me support payments holla

6. I'm the court statement from the less-than-3-year-old

Looks good, guys. Get this poo poo That Did Happen story out of this thread

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cared so little he didn't plug his phone in to charge after getting an "accidental" shot of your tits and clam

drat

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

there's a sprinkling of stolen valor in there too.

That's way more than a sprinkling. More like a heaping tablespoon of stolen valor

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Josef bugman posted:

Lets just put the bone church in here before anyone asks about it:

Sedlec Ossuary

There's a secret room on the right side there with a green armor pickup in it

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ibntumart posted:

And on the off chance I'm not the only Muslim who enjoys perusing this thread,
Eid mubarak! May we all get to guzzle our body weights in coffee to make up for a month of morning commutes without coffee.

Eid mubarak to you, friend.

edit: Here's a fresh STDH

quote:

I was perusing my favorite website forum today, minding my own business, when all of a sudden, someone posted some weird moslem stuff.

As a white male who isn't afriad he LOVES his country, I have to say I am offended.

OFFENDED.

I immediately posted "GO BACK TO ISLAMASTAN YOU FILTHY MUSTLEM!" and my post instantly got shared in twitter and facebook for three hundred thousand likes and shares.

how dare the people that run the site let this anti american s*** happen unpunished?!?! I WORK for a living and they just come over to blow us up.

They dont pay taxes or anything. I was so mad when i saw what was obviously muslin HATE SPEECH that my protective side took over and i immediately called homeland security. They said they saw it and that "eid mubarak" means "death to america" and that they were glad i told them.

I just got a call from the homeland security guy about it and he said they caught the musselm and had him deported back to wherever he came from. His last words as he got on the boat were "i am so sorry god bless america"

Afterwords I was given the contressional metal of honor, a million dollars, and they let me pick a celebrity to go on an all expenses date with. I get to go pick up bernadette peters at six tonight and we are going to cracker barrel and i swear to god if there isnt enough sausage in the SAUSAGE gravy like last time i will call border patrol and have them DEPORTED>

GOD BLESS AMERICA

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jul 6, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

Huggy Wipes

From the point of view of "the rear end in a top hat"

I was sitting on the bus when I noticed an 11th grader a few seats up was carrying what looked like a diaper bag. "Hey man," I asked, "what's with the diaper bag? Some kind of class project?" All of a sudden he went bonkers and started swinging it around and yelling. I felt kind of bad for setting him off because during his tantrum he ripped one of the buttons off his silk Hatsune Miku shirt.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

There was talk a few pages ago of the creation of false memories and these stories are great examples of it. Most of them are beat for beat retellings of wild speculative "wouldn't it be funny if...?" stories made up before Go was released - the innocuous person nicking your rare Poke and being a Team Rocket member, scary person helping you out and you bond over Japanese cartoons, dropping sick Pokéburns on assholes and catching the rare Mon you've been after for hours. Even though it's observably not how that works in the actual game now. But it's got enough real elements and the original stories have been circulating for long enough that they fuse together and people are convinced they actually happened.

I wonder how many of these people totally did go to school with a La-a or an Abcde?

My buddy Orangejello is pretty knowledgeable about stuff like this. With him, his brothers Redjello and Greenjello, and his sister Vagina working on it, we'll have an answer in no time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Misunderstanding some pretty key mechanics of pokemon go in your anecdotes is not just for facebook anymore.

Spending years teaching a student how to be a good print journalist and then seeing poo poo like this must be heartbreaking

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like the "I knew black people with ridiculous names" people are especially common among health care workers.

STDH stories/urban legends run rampant in hospitals. It seems like every nurse in America was on shift when the woman came in with a chicken in her vagina or when the guy showed up with his dick stuck in a poodle. It's surprising that the stories haven't started running together yet, resulting in tales where La-a has a chicken up in her junk and brings in her son Orangejello because his dong is stuck in a dog. And that dog's name...

...was Albert Einstein, suffering from diarrhea after someone put Visine in his coffee and also had cockroaches in his mouth from when he licked an envelope

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CannedMacabre posted:

I've never come across a vagina that didn't have the tamper-evident seal already broken.

Good on you. You have to get the sealed ones hot or bang them on hard surfaces, and either way it's a pain in the dick

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If she's pregnant that means they did a sex

For real, guys. She took her shirt off and they kissed and he touched her boobs.

And now she will poop a beautiful nerd baby :angel:

Because he did sex. For real.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jodai posted:

Don't start trying to make troper tales more understandable, that way lies madness.

Nah, it's pretty easy and can be done fairly quickly with little threat to your sanity:

"This troper had a Crowning Moment of Awesome when a bully [3k more words go here]"

is actually

"One time a bully said a mean thing and I stared at the floor, trying to hold back tears. I spent the rest of the day imagining fantasies in which I brutally owned him somehow despite being ridiculously awkward and a big fat baby"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Paladinus posted:

Does anyone have that story where a guy and his sister go to the doctor, and his sister enjoyed every minute of it and pretended she did that thing with her hair?

i got u fam

quote:

My mom called my doctor and said to him "What's the most accurate measurement for weighing?"
The doctor said "An underwater weighing test"
And just like that, my mom said "Yes. When can my son and my daughter can take it?" and the doc said "Today at 2pm."

So, I didn't bother taking a shower and so did my sister too, so I had to get into a special swimming suit (tight pants...Ugh).

My sister said "Can I pull my hair down to a ponytail?" The doctor said "No."
So my sister with her long, blonde hair went underwater with 8 seconds and had she must enjoyed it..but I didn't.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

This troper started dating his current girlfriend through one. He'd met her when he was taking an entrance exam for a college (which I failed, by the way), and she was my neighbor. We started chatting between subjects, and kept each other's IM address after we'd both gone home. This troper never thought he'd meet her again, since we lived in different cities, but we kept contact through IM, and later, through text messages. We both went on our own relationships, but kept on talking as friends. Almost three years later, when this troper was about to go on exchange for a semester in Finland, he decided to see every single one of his friends before leaving, and told this girl, who decided to come to his city for a day. This troper waited for her at the train station, and when she got to the end of the platform, went up to her. We didn't say a word, just kissed. As of writing, I am setting up my marriage proposal.

I love when you can call bullshit only four words in :allears:

Also, little ending "updates" ("we've been married fifteen years this month," "as of writing, I'm setting up my proposal," etc.) are some of the most obnoxious parts of STDH stories. "There, I finished barfing up all these lies. Hmm, as it is now, the story is merely 'unbelievable.' Maybe I should add something at the end that lands it in 'loving impossible' territory."

HaB posted:

I've never really understood all the hate that video generates.

You pretty much explained it yourself. Just add "they're furries" a few more times for emphasis and you've hit the mark.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine if he had dropped a pumpkin on their fire instead.

*puckin

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

My Astronomy teacher was almost always in a good mood, but that's probably because he's a mega nerd who finds teaching about science to be incredibly fun. He would always get really giddy when talking about his personal projects. Like once he hooked up an electronically controlled telescope to a laptop and rigged up a PS2 controller to remotely turn it, and used this ghetto setup to take photographs (through screenshots on the laptop) of the ISS as it passed overhead.

Sweet, which site did this quote come from

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tracula posted:

Also I don't know if SJW still gets word filtered and I'm too lazy to check. You can figure it out if it is.

Nah, looks good on my end

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Hardcordion posted:

No joke, just this weekend I ended up waiting for a bus with a guy in a goggled top hat, suit jacket and skull-topped cane from the halloween store. I was on my way to a comic art show myself so I asked if he was heading there as well. He said no, he just likes wearing that outfit while going about his day. Then we stood there awkwardly until the bus arrived.

He was silently begging you to ask follow-up questions, and you didn't, and that owns.

Wait, I mean:

I found your continued reticence in the light of what was--even to the layman--extraordinarily anomalous behaviour quite pleasing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

I tried to pick and choose from these but they're all so incredible.

If you read these aloud near your phone, Google auto-dials the national suicide prevention hotline

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Hot drat, managed to show off her awesome nails, her huge diamond ring, her cool gun, and how badass she is all at once. This is one efficient STDH writer.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I keep trying to do a dramatic reading of it but there's no way to do it without cracking the gently caress up. It's so wonderful.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

As of February 2014, 6 states legalize it, 21 ban it, and 23 let the universities have the final say. The usual reason given for not allowing it is that classroom discussions will get so heated that someone will pull a gun and shoot a teacher or student over Philosophy 101

"The Prince was not loving satire, dumbshit, HOW ABOUT I INTRODUCE YOU TO THE PLATONIC FORM OF A .357 HOLLOWPOINT MOTHERFUCKER"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Atmus posted:

Doom is still on Mars/Mars's moons, right? How did they account for the difference in gravity?

It's a reality TV show, so they didn't

Goddamnit where is that MAXIMUM OVERDIDN'T gif when I need it

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

This one was begging for it

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

This is the exact scenario everyone I know who practices Kung fu fantasizes about.

I can't speak for all martial arts and self-defense training, but the course I took and my friends that do judo all stress that you only fight someone as a last resort, and that it's extremely poor form to show off what you've learned unless you're in a sanctioned competition. Hell, in my self-defense course, our feet didn't even touch the mats before spending two weeks in a classroom having that hammered into our heads along with the importance of situational awareness and threat assessment.

Moreover, once you've actually had to resort to violence because you had no other option, you don't want to ever do it again. I love these idiots who think taking a Wang Chung class automatically means you can Jason Bourne the poo poo out of people whenever you please.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

life is killing me posted:

Also, knowing any form of martial art to any degree does not mean that you will unequivocally prevail in any fight at any time, nor again is any martial art intrinsically better than any other because of its techniques or the power of its kicks or punches. I cringe when some high school nerd thinks he can now beat up like 3 bullies at once because he knows how to block and do a side kick.

And that's a big part of what makes some of these stories so guddamn funny--these idiots think that a martial arts class will let you Riddick five dudes trying to jump you at once. A self-defense class will help you in that situation, but by teaching you "holy poo poo just give them your wallet." The easiest way to not get injured in a fight is to not get into a fight. Way easier to call the bank and have your debit card shut down and charges reversed than it is to recover from a gunshot wound, being stabbed, or an old-fashioned beatdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

Is it just me, or has there been a proliferation of 'Asian martial arts'? Some of the names, to be honest, look like they were made up while looking at a menu from Panda Express.

I think people are cashing in on the popularity of the professional MMA bouts you see on TV. Set up a "dojo," name it something vaguely Asian-sounding, tell people they'll be just like those guys and gals on TV if they take your classes, then count all the cash you're getting from pasty neckbeards who spend thirty minutes a week kicking a bag.

Great, now you've got me giggling at the thought of Mai Fun Dojo and its competitor, Club Pork Fried Rice