Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
All pizza tattoos own.

Andrew WK just retweeted this:

Tasteless as hell but goddamn if I don't love it. AWK is actually the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Friend who does nothing but talk about how much she loves books and reading and Stephen King just got a Dark Tower (her favorite book) quote for her first tattoo. Much like literally everyone else on the internet, she got the quote wrong.

I posted this screenshot before she flipped out in the comments and messaged me to tell me that I ruined her life.

Here's a bunch of people doing the same:

https://www.google.com/search?q=go+...W5CB64Q_AUIBigB

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I think if you're getting a quote with no other artistic elements in the tattoo it's unforgivable to not get it exactly right. If it was wrapping around a banner or done in some interesting typographical way I wouldn't care. It's also not a grammatically correct sentence with the comma.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Psychobabble! posted:

As someone with a vaguely DT inspired tattoo, post it

It's completely unremarkable, I was just amused/irritated for a few reasons.

* My wife is heavily tattooed and is very involved in the scene where we live, so all of our friends who are first timers usually go to her for advice and then (almost always) completely ignore it (like she did)

* I googled the quote just to see if she hosed it up out of curiosity and the FIRST RESULT on is the Wikipedia page for the book which has it correct

* She claims it's her favorite quote from her favorite book and she got it wrong

* She posts nonstop about how you're an idiot if you mess up spelling and grammar stuff, and she got a tattoo of a grammatically incorrect sentence

Yes, I'm an idiot for caring at all about any of this. Don't worry I know.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

thecluckmeme posted:

Sometimes you read things in high school, then realize in retrospect that they're pretty bad, man

I have a House of Leaves inspired tattoo, for example. Thankfully there's no text so no one would know unless I told them.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

That drat Satyr posted:

I would like to see this, bad or good.

This requires too much explanation, but here it is.

Long story short, my wife booked an appointment with a "famous" artist and I figured I'd get something at the shop we were traveling a long distance to just to help justify the trip. I wanted something HoL themed, and at the time, women wearing animal cowls was popular, and I really dug the general aesthetic. So the idea I discussed with the artist was a young boy, wearing a bull cowl (referencing King Mino's son and the legend of the Minotaur), surrounded by ash leaves (Yggdrasil/the eponymous tree), and the vein patterns of the leaves were to be in a maze pattern (obvious reasons).

What he drew up had more or less nothing to do with what we discussed and I painstakingly detailed throughout several email exchanges. I still liked the outline so I was just like gently caress it whatever let's do it. That's my cool story.

The lesson here is if you don't like something then don't feel pressured to get it, it's your money.

e: I don't know where this motherfucker got the idea to add acorns from.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Scratch Monkey posted:

What is HoL and MZD again?

House of Leaves and its author Mark Z. Danielewski.

The short version of what you need to know is he writes weird books that nerds obsess over, and they look like this:

Rebel Blob posted:

Looks like the artist got mixed up on what type of tree you wanted, 'cause those are oak leaves and I guess the acorns follow naturally from that.

Yeah dude didn't even try.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Nitrox posted:

Looks like he tried enough. It's up to you to correct the design, especially if you're going back and forth over period of time. You approved it, have fun with it now. Don't see anything tasteless about it

Yes that's why I posted a "moral of the story" at the end. But trust me, we went back and forth a bunch ahead of time and I was very explicit about the individual elements and why they were what they were, etc. When the outline was presented to me, it was SO far off from what I requested, and I was in a situation where revisions weren't really an option (convention), I was fine with just getting it as is since I did like the design he came up with.

But yeah it's not tasteless, and I did end up liking it. I just posted it since the topic was dumb book tattoos.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm halfway through One Rainy Day in May and so far it's been pretty exhausting, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. He is a good storyteller, sometimes it just feels like he's trying wayyyy too hard. That said, there's usually a payoff for sticking it out, so I'm looking forward to see where this series goes.

Anyway to make up for my unintentional derail, here's some pics that my local shop just posted:

How does drawing hands work

How does kerning work

:stare:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Henchman of Santa posted:

I wonder if this is an actual pro long snapper or, more likely, a man whose football glory days are playing that position for a high school or D3 college team.

Even worse than you're thinking. Independent college football :(

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/long-snapper-tattoo

e: I run high school bowl games and LS and special teams players are always the absolute worst to deal with. Everyone thinks it's the skill position players like QB/WR, but nope. loving long snappers and punters/kickers are the real divas.

fullroundaction has a new favorite as of 16:15 on May 15, 2016

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

StuG Jeebus posted:

This chick's dad is doing the Lord's work:
http://imgur.com/gallery/RbKhH

This is good.

No pics but a dumb story: my wife got a new intern at her job. He has the Misfits (band) logo tattooed on his forearm (see my avatar if you're not familiar). She was like "oh cool my husband has a Crimson Ghost tattoo too" and he responded with "What? No it's not that, it's the logo for a band". :downs:

Kids these days.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Biologically I think we can agree this is an alien life form.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

captainOrbital posted:

Edit: On the other hand...

This is so close to being so bad it's good.

Oh well, whatever

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Heath posted:

Does the gay rainbow only have six colors?

Good to know I wasn't the only one counting Roy G Biv

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

AlbieQuirky posted:

Indigo got the Pluto treatment sometime in the early 2000s; it's no longer considered a principal color in the spectrum.

Sorry, going to choose to ignore this post. I've committed to Roy G Biv as a lifelong mnemonic and nothing anyone says is going to change that.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I had to look up the double trigger thing because I don't know anything about guns: https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

One Swell Foop posted:

I think it's supposed to be one of the dragon's eggs from Game of Thrones but it's the wrong colors and not egg-shaped.

Please don't try to ovarly explain this thing.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Werong Bustope posted:

I know this person irl. They're a genderfluid drag queenperson

Were you not paying attention or something?

e: Wait can you even do drag if you don't believe in gender?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Endless Mike posted:

Genderfluid doesn't mean they don't believe in gender, it means their personal gender changes at times. So when they're feeling male, dressing female would be doing drag.

Ya I'm hip to that, I just thought that the implication of their tattoo was that they wanted to "end" gender (like as a concept). Or am I reading that wrong?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Someone Awful! posted:

sex and gender are different things, also this is a bad derail that won't go anywhere good. post bad tats.

Not seeing any problems here. But good idea to avoid a derail. Here's some hot garbage from a new local shop:

Classic.

This one requires a bit of explanation. The palmetto tree and moon are from our state flag. The splotch in the middle is supposed to be the logo of the University of South Carolina football team (Gamecocks). http://www.sc.edu/toolbox/images/spiritMarks.png

Someone who I'm sure posts on Facebook using the word "loyalty" and about how you can't trust any of your friends.

Don't know anything about guns but pretty sure the trigger guard doesn't extend that far.

1Corey

Someone got this is motherfucking 2016

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Falkor in trad Jap style would probably look rad as hell.

This is so cute... if it's one of those "got a tattoo somewhere not super visible of one of my kid's drawings". The rest :stare:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It's easier to find really bad chest pieces than really good ones, but I stumbled on this and it's giving me a headache. Paging all tattoo thread cryptographers:

Also I didn't notice the big dumpy dude in the background for the first minute I was staring at it somehow.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Carbon Thief posted:

Alis volat propriis "She flies with her own wings"

Now do the thing where you draw on it in MSPaint to outline the letters because I still don't see it.

Johnny Truant posted:

Still haven't gotten around to watching this :blush:

Do, it's really good.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

LingcodKilla posted:

My chest tattoo does belong here.

Don't apologize for freedom.

e: Content

fullroundaction has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Aug 13, 2016

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It's probably a semi-famous person she met's signature.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

TheKennedys posted:

My friend tattooed over where Samwise Didier (the Blizzard artist) signed her arm one time, but she's covered in tattoos, she worked at Blizzard for almost a decade, and Samwise is pretty awesome, so nobody I know has ever given her poo poo for it. That could be because our circles are full of people who would think it was awesome rather than dumb, but still.

Dude has an impressive amount of hair.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Johnny Truant posted:

Also look at how they wrote "climb" in there. They wrote "Cimb" then had to jam the 'L' in afterwards.

Twice ... :confused:

Short Penguin posted:

That's still loving bitchin' though.

Thanks!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Derby is fun as hell and derby girls are fun as hell to party with, sorry you goons hate fun.

Also derby names are the best: https://www.twoevils.org/rollergirls/

rotoscoped posted:

I actually like this one, but that is going to be a pokeblob a few years down the road, isn't it?

This is dope. The bold should hold, probably as long as the (integrity of) the skin does.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Snowy posted:

What's the name of this font? It bothers me the same way some people get all triggered by comic sans or papyrus.

http://www.dafont.com/bring-tha-noize.font?fpp=100&text=Death+Before+Dishonor

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I don't play shooters but I'd have to imagine no scope kills happen hundreds of times every hour every day. What was super notable about this one, or was it just because it was tournament play?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

hyperhazard posted:

(He's the silhouette in blue, not the main guy)

http://www.pcgamer.com/cache-s1mple-tribute/

Oh okay, I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. So it's basically a Mighty Ducks kind of story + sick trick/desperation shots in tournament play. I guess there are way dumber things to get tattoos of, though he certainly could have gotten a much better one of this.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That is middle school as gently caress.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Dude I got a tattoo from in Philly just had one of his designs ripped off.

Shameful.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

What the gently caress is happening in the bottom 20% of this image :stare:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

ricketyvickyt posted:

Does tasteless 'tattoo artist' qualify for this thread...

This is horrifying. But at least he's using a stencil!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Can I get like a Celtic knot? But then like a bunch of other bullshit on it idk

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Jagged Little Tattoo

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Christ what an rear end in a top hat

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

rockcity posted:

It's bearable but it ranks high in the worst spots I have had tattooed list. I did however have both feet tattooed at the same time by two artists for seven hours though, so I've been told I am kind of crazy.

How big are your feet, drat.

Also this would have killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Those are super dope though! How are they holding up (with sock/shoe wear and tear)? My wife had her feet done like 10 years ago and they've definitely faded the fastest, but they still look pretty good.