Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Update 11!

Oh, no.

(sorry for the webms in this one - after the first post it's gifs for good!)

Bacter. Bacter, Bacter, Bacter. What is this.

Let me tell you about Wadjet Eye games.

I love Wadjet Eye games, and I would heartily recommend purchasing one or all of them. You won't be disappointed.

Boy, oh BOY can Wadjet Eye games not make a story that isn't 100% absurd in one way or another.

Wadjet Eye games that have been LP'd posted:

These are the guys that did The Blackwell Series, in which you are a medium chained to a wise-cracking gangster ghost, who has to save other ghosts, and also a bunch of other stuff happens.

They did post-apocalyptia with Primordia, in which you are the only robot who actually paid attention in Engineering 101.

They did The Shivah, the only game, to my knowledge, which literally includes out-Rabbi-ing an evil Rabbi as a game mechanic.

They made being a post-doc as dynamic as possible in The Resonance.

They did future noir in Gemini Rue.
And I'm not dismissing the studio - The Blackwell Series was one of my favorite LPs to follow of all time. Gemini Rue is one of my favorite GAMES of all time, and I really, really like Technobabylon. I also played and enjoyed their latest, Shardlight.

That said, there exists what I've taken to calling "The Wadjet Ache". It happens when you really get into the story of these games, start taking them seriously. You like the characters, you're enticed by the action, the graphics are lovely as usual - and then something happens that makes your stomach drop.

"Uh oh", you think. "This plot got less sensible every minute for the last 20 minutes, and we're clearly nearing the end! Can they tie it all up?". They cannot. The ground falls out from under you, a million things happen by total coincidence, powers are pulled out of nowhere, and everything turns into scrambled eggs. But you know? I've found my way to deal with it.

The secret is prevention. You just realize that at some point the plot is going to stop making sense. You make your peace with that early, you look at the scenery, you hang on for the twists, and when the roller coaster flies off the tracks, you really get a good look at the view before crashing into the ground. With that in mind, I'll be opting an "irreverent" tone throughout the LP.

So, everybody grip your Wadjet Digestion tablets in one hand, pop one in, and let's continue!

(Incidentally, I have no opinion on Technocrat games. They've done three games. One of them is Technobabylon, the other is called Nancy and features the titular Nancy, a prostitute who's run out of gas, who must navigate back to the big city with her friend, who is literally named Susie the Drug Addict. Her thing is that she's addicted to crack! The final one "The Rail" is about fixing a big sci-fi train. They're an adventure game studio, and all I have to go on is this game - though I'd welcome commentary from anybody who played The Rail or Susie!)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Reserve'd.

NEAT NOTES:

NGDBSS posted:

I'd wondered if there were any biological connection between Mandala and Charlie, considering conservation of detail/the fact that we only saw four embryos despite the IDs implying five/her complexion and age. I guess her discussion with Quince mostly denies that theory, though it would make for a fine motive for Baxter to engineer things against her.

"Salam" is one derivation of the (relatively) famous triliteral SLM, which at its core refers to wholeness and safety. The general idea in Semitic languages (those being Arabic, Hebrew, etc.) is that the roots of most verbs and nouns are constructed from a sequence of consonants, and then variations on vowels and auxiliary consonants clarify the specific meaning as derived from that root. This is why Hebrew uses "shalom" and Maltese uses "sliem" as a greeting in similar ways. And thus what's interesting here is that Jinsil says "Ahlan wa sahlan", with an N at the end rather than an M. Either they're putting on an act by speaking fake Arabic (which seems unlikely given their background and the game's stance towards worldbuilding), or they're speaking a language related to Arabic that nonetheless isn't Semitic. Obvious candidates here include various other Afro-Asiatic languages like something in the Berber (so few vowels) or Chadic (lots of folks in Niger or Nigeria) categories, though other things that took loanwords from Arabic like Turkish or Farsi would also work.

Edit: Apparently Jinsil is a female Korean name? Now I'm really wondering about what language she's using.

Don't mind me, I'm a bit of a trivia buff.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 2, 2016

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, this looks neat! I'll be following it.

Bacter posted:

:eng101: Chishiki is Japanese for "information"

:goonsay: It chiefly means "knowledge," actually. ("Information" is more usually "jouhou".)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I am ready to jack in and skate the ice with the rest of the groovy froods! Let's do this! :psylon:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Love this game - probably one of Wadjet's tighter outings, actually, as far as story and narrative cohesion go, imo.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

I have this game on Steam and still haven't player it... because I really loved the original 3 games Technocrat Games released on adventuregamestudio.co.uk 5 years ago. (They were more like short stories if Wadjet Eye games can be considered to be novel length) They are not available any longer at the Adventure Game Studio website, understandably, because they want people to buy this reboot/remake, but I really prefer the original art style to, Ben304s, umm emo/hipster/anime sprite style. Sorry, I feel bad criticizing the guy, who is very sweet! ...but I don't like his graphics style and it's become the Wadjet Eye style as of late.

There is a particular character whose new design, argh, now looks like an anime girl instead of... I think I may replay these games and get screenshots, just to rub salt in the wound.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also I'm gonna cut the game off here and guess we're actually a guy irl

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So I decided to go from using webms to using .gifs, so I can put everything up on the test posts - let me know if you'd like anything else in particular changed!

So this chapter: I'm embarrassed to say I got stuck on it, because it requires you to use some non-standard tactics that it doesn't REALLY tutorialize.

Also, I really am going to need a sanity check as we go through the game - if a lot of people find our heroine really sympathetic, I need you to speak up and let me know that my cold, shriveled heart is two sizes too small or something, but... well, you'll see.

Enjoy!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 17, 2016

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Oh, this looks neat! I'll be following it.

:goonsay: It chiefly means "knowledge," actually. ("Information" is more usually "jouhou".)

Much appreciated! And in general, if I mess up some reference or something, I appreciate being schooled. So the difference being knowledge is more... like wisdom? Like knowledge is information that's been internalized and contextualized?

sockgarters posted:

I have this game on Steam and still haven't player it... because I really loved the original 3 games Technocrat Games released on adventuregamestudio.co.uk 5 years ago. (They were more like short stories if Wadjet Eye games can be considered to be novel length) They are not available any longer at the Adventure Game Studio website, understandably, because they want people to buy this reboot/remake, but I really prefer the original art style to, Ben304s, umm emo/hipster/anime sprite style. Sorry, I feel bad criticizing the guy, who is very sweet! ...but I don't like his graphics style and it's become the Wadjet Eye style as of late.

There is a particular character whose new design, argh, now looks like an anime girl instead of... I think I may replay these games and get screenshots, just to rub salt in the wound.

Got a favorite that you'd recommend?

Erwin the German posted:

Love this game - probably one of Wadjet's tighter outings, actually, as far as story and narrative cohesion go, imo.

Yeah, I'll be mean to it, but I wouldn't LP a game I genuinely didn't enjoy! Even if it's ironic enjoyment at some parts!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
This game is awesome, can't wait to see this. While it was published by Wadjeteye, as far as I'm aware they were responsible for the graphics and publishing, while Technocrat did everything else.

Have you read the dossier that's included in the extended edition? There's more background information in there than there is in the entire game. It's actually kind of crazy

e. thanks for not sharing Cheffie's voice.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 17, 2016

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I haven't, but I'd really like to!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

It kind of explains why Latha is a bit like she is, and it's actually more of a by-product of dystopian social engineering than her just being a lazy internet addict.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Bacter posted:

Also, I really am going to need a sanity check as we go through the game - if a lot of people find our heroine really sympathetic, I need you to speak up and let me know that my cold, shriveled heart is two sizes too small or something, but... well, you'll see.

I think she's quite sympathetic. Potentially kind of a terrible person—being an adventure game protagonist tends to preclude social norms like "respect for other people and their stuff" and "not almost destroying the world"—but sympathetic.

Half of this is because Miss Sesame is (so far) what I've come to expect from a protagonist of a Wadjet Eye game: a character with an intense spiritual connection to something (and frequently poor attachments/connections to the "real world"), stuck in their mundane issues and problems, until a part of their world explodes. Sometimes literally. Then the character rejoins with "the world" in search of a solution to their immediate difficulties, winds up using their spiritual and material connections (and the latter are always formed via player action) to achieve victory in a decisive crisis, and in the process self-actualizes into a complete person through exploration and experience. Which on reflection is essentially the monomyth, but Wadjet Eye seems to have a thing for using overtly 'spiritual' characters as their heroic leads.

The other half of my sympathy is because I get the whole "goon" thing, for obvious reasons, and out of pity for the character's extremely unfortunate surname.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So the dystopian future of Technobabylon is unusually influenced by Italian culture? That's new.

Also, I'd say the nanopaste is acting less like midichlorians and more like TRON.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So the dystopian future of Technobabylon is unusually influenced by Italian culture? That's new.

Did you not pick up that this game takes place in Africa? me either, and am pretty sure it isn't referenced a single time

edit: Oh wow, it actually has this in the glossary!

quote:

Sconto: Slang arising from Romance languages used to describe the city's policy of assistance to the jobless and otherwise homeless. Used as a pejorative, the term is also used to describe individuals (e.g. “He's a sconto”, “She's on sconto”). Newton's basic support package ensures that no citizen lacks clothing, food, a net connection, and some form of housing. While some feel that this assistance is wasted upon those who abuse it in order to spend their lives within the virtual, it remains part of the city's constitution, and a measure for many of its “civilisation”.

:hist101:

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 17, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zenithe posted:

Did you not pick up that this game takes place in Africa? me either, and am pretty sure it isn't referenced a single time

Still doesn't explain much. Italy didn't conquer much in Africa outside a few hellholes along the Indian Coast and they didn't leave much of an impact after they left. We'd be far more likely to encounter French, English, or a native language (and even Portuguese and German) than Italian.

VVV That means the influences are English and Kiswahili. Portuguese and Arabic would be a reasonable stretch, but I'm still not seeing where the Italian is coming from.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 17, 2016

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Zenithe posted:

I think it was mentioned at one point that Newton is near Mombasa. Of course, there is very little trace of anything resembling the local East African culture in the city.

Edit:

quote:

VVV That means the influences are English and Kiswahili. Portuguese and Arabic would be a reasonable stretch, but I'm still not seeing where the Italian is coming from.

Eritrea has been somewhat influenced by Italian culture when it was a colony, so it could be immigrants from there, but it is indeed a stretch. More generally, it is never explained why Newton actually exists in the first place. Why is there suddenly a big metropolis where all of the inhabitants seem to be generically anglo-american culturally on the Indian Ocean coast of Africa a mere 70-odd years in the future? Who founded it, and what persuaded people from faraway countries to settle there? Is the indigenous population excluded from the city somehow?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 17, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Still doesn't explain much. Italy didn't conquer much in Africa outside a few hellholes along the Indian Coast and they didn't leave much of an impact after they left. We'd be far more likely to encounter French, English, or a native language (and even Portuguese and German) than Italian.

I don't want to go into backstory without permission or a spoiler policy, but there is a reason for an abundance of multicultural influences in the game setting.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The wetware actually makes sense in some way. The wetware itself is not illegal. But this is some cracked version, which means that it can be reproduced and that it can bypass some security protocols. Basically, she's mooching wireless connections without having to enter a password.

By the way, except for Primordia this might be my favorite Wadjet Eye game. Even though it's a bit stupid sometimes, the setting is really cool and fun.

Also I think the last two emoticons of the previous update are broken.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 17, 2016

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

:staredog:

:suspense:

I was promised that all the smilies would work in the LP test post!

YA USED ME, TEST POST! YA USED MEEEEEE

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Zenithe posted:

I don't want to go into backstory without permission or a spoiler policy, but there is a reason for an abundance of multicultural influences in the game setting.

Actually, can you shoot me a PM about that? If it doesn't spoil the story, I'd love some background!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bacter posted:

So the difference being knowledge is more... like wisdom? Like knowledge is information that's been internalized and contextualized?
No more than it is the way we think of it in English, I guess. A community bulletin board might have the heading "Information," not "Knowledge," and I'd say the 'Net is full of information and knowledge, but it's probably short on wisdom. If any of that helps. :downs:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bacter posted:

Actually, can you shoot me a PM about that? If it doesn't spoil the story, I'd love some background!

Done.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm pretty sure I played the old versions, and Cheffie wasn't an anime in those. I think I liked the old abstract design better. Maybe someone who still has the old games files can do a comparison of the direction and art.

sockgarters
Dec 29, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I'm pretty sure I played the old versions, and Cheffie wasn't an anime in those. I think I liked the old abstract design better. Maybe someone who still has the old games files can do a comparison of the direction and art.

Just finished up all 3. Yeah, Cheffie is cute and cartoony in the 1st 2 games:
Technobabylon 1

Click here for the full 982x760 image
We haven't gotten to this part yet and idk if this is even in this version of the game!
Technobabylon 2

Click here for the full 987x765 image

The 1st game looks to be what Bacter just played - Latha escaping her apt. (I haven't been reading your commentary because I am going to finally play this game myself, soon.)
2nd game is much better, deals with a character we haven't met yet. Regis. (No, not Millionaire Regis!) He is a likable character and his story is compelling.
3rd game has a brief section with Regis presented in more of a comic panel style. Just some dialogue choices. Then we go back to playing Latha who has to escape a room... again. *sigh*

sockgarters fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 17, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It was yeah. On the other hand, I'm 99% certain Cheffie was designed to be as irritating as possible.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hi kids welcome to the your new home: the Internet!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

namesake posted:

Hi kids welcome to the your new home: the Internet!

I mean I can't say that's really that much worse than what's happening now. If you could eliminate homelessness this way even this sort of solution is an improvement.
The whole protein slop could be improved though. What, MSG is outlawed in this dystopian future?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So we just got outside and... he put a claymore under the doormat? I guess under the pretense that after that ordeal we wouldn't think to look down?

I ain't even mad that we just got roped into a complete waste of time.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Glazius posted:

So we just got outside and... he put a claymore under the doormat?

What did you think would happen when you use illegally cracked self-replicating biological robots to disable your own security system and then stick a fork into the socket?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have to admit that I'm impressed with the writers for not going for the obvious "open sesame" joke I was sure was in store.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
So the Aryan superman has been planning a hit on this (literally) poor nethead for years? Assuming we survive that rather than switch protagonists, it would be a good argument for never leaving the flat again.

I mean, it's pretty probable that we're just a distraction for something bigger or caught in a crossfire, it's just that at this point it looks like hilarious overkill. Maybe he got second place in that net-games contest and never got over it. :v:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Welcome to the :words: update! There's a lot of dialogue, but that's pretty much par for the course in the beginning of a Wadjet eye game. And you know I wouldn't let the whole update pass without some action!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 29, 2016

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You switched the Jungian interpretation around - 'animus' is the masculine side of the 'soul', 'anima' is the female side.

This section is really chock full of Philip K. Dick so far. I'm surprised they didn't start talking about artificial animals.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 29, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. At this rate it looks like it might be an entire city after all.

Either that or some people were trancing for too long and then someone streamed them The Weather Girls.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I try not to post screenshots of all the dialogue, but MAN are the facial expressions for this policewoman good

Whoever did the portraits sure knows their eyebrows.

For the record, that is her curious face according to the special edition list of faces, which is apparently targeted at people who have no concept of body language?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Welcome back! THIS TIME: exciting things happen at other times than the every end of the update!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

This is the first failable bit!

Can you actually fail it? If you don't get the password, there is another way.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

There are for sure other ways - this is more of a fail tutorial than a hard limit to failure, but the idea of multiple paths of different "goodnesses" is something I wish more adventure games did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Lao is kind of a sociopath. Kicking a person who died less than a minute ago isn't really nice.

EDIT: I like how nuke is the go-to swearword in the future. For some reason those people don't seem to like WMDs.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 4, 2016

• Locked thread