Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
No, not since 1992.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

wide stance posted:

Roomates are worse than parents. Been free of both since 20 years young.

You're not wrong; flatmates were an economic necessity for me through university but thereafter I swore I'd never again live with anyone unless in a relationship.

(Now I happen to get along fine with my parents but I'm still glad we don't share a roof for more than the occasional holiday visit.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Moving the discussion along:
I'm almost 30, live with my GF and rent a big house. How many of you bought a house and how early?
I live in Portland and, until prices drop back to pre-Portlandia craze, I cannot buy a house.

Became a homeowner back in 2000 -- had a real job with a dependable income by then (actually since 1998 but I'd spent a little while saving up) and was getting sick of waiting for the real estate market to have its inevitable downturn (at the time prices had been rising for seven years; the downturn still has not come 16 years later). Was single at the time and bought an one-bedroom apartment within a short bicycle ride (or long walk) of my job. Lived there for five years before moving across the country to live with my now-wife; what I got when I sold the place was 70% more than I paid for it and I hadn't done poo poo to improve or even maintain it apart from painting the hallway a more cheerful colour. 11 years later I see similar apartments (in fact one that is identical to the one I had, same street, built exactly the same -- nicer inside, though) going for three times as much as what I paid in 2000. It's completely loving insane and young people today don't stand a chance unless they have help from their parents or something. (Or are able/willing to live somewhere rather less popular than close to a major city, I guess; rural prices aren't nearly as hosed up.)

Groke fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 18, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I could probably tolerate living with mine, if I had to. But I'm still glad I don't have to.

• Locked thread