Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
edit: thursday May 31, 2016. abandoned this thread because I got discouraged and couldn't adequately reconstruct the all the conversations I had had after the fact. in case anyone wonders what happened past the lame cliffhanger: the event was supposed to end at 5, but procedural issues kept it droning on and on and on, seemingly without end. The choas really began when the rumor started going around that the organizer of the caucus, who had been largely responsible for the delays, was a hillary supporter, and that all the absent delegates for bernie would be discarded if we didn't finish on time. it was a very minor and local version of what went down in nevada, essentially. I wandered through this mess in a weed soaked haze, and if I'd had reception I'd of laid the whole glorious thing out for all of you. I might give a shot at finishing it sometime, maybe after completing my trump tale.

I'm not really sure I'm up to doing this

"We’re excited that you have stepped up and become a local leader for your Presidential candidate and for the Democratic Party"? poo poo.

The only reason I went to the first caucus was that it got me out of the house.

I don't care which of these people become president. I'm not a political person. I just signed up to be an alternate delegate to the district caucus because a cute girl was watching. She was wearing a Bernie t-shirt and a big smile, and I wanted to show her I could be involved in the process of changing history.

also I thought that alternates wouldn't have to go

But now I have a man named Jaxon Ravens calling me a "grassroots leader" and he wants me "to stand up to Donald Trump and the Republicans in the fall."

Buddy, I've dropped out of college three times. I can't reasonably be expected to be drafted into the war against the darkness.

I'm not feeling qualified for this, and now I have to stop typing on my phone in the parking lot and go into the building.

Trumps Baby Hands has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Be sure and post your character sheet

Name: trumps baby hands, alternate precinct delegate to the WA State Legoslative District Caucuses

Excitement about the WA State Democratic Party: very little

Distrust of government: mostly in check, but sometimes I wonder, you know

College student: yup

Caucused for Bernie: yes indeed

Because you care about Bernie?: no

Because you wanted to look cool: yes

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
do it and you'll get laid i garentee

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

stoutfish posted:

I probably shouldn't wear this inside, right?

I'll keep it with me for sure though, in case there's an emergency

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

earlier I'd received some conflicting information, but I saw through the ruse

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

the democratic process marches on.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

girl wearing a Bernie shirt approaches with a smile, talking to everyone who passes?

"Are you from _______ County or __________ county?" She's here to to help.

I can't wait for my turn.

She cradles a clipboard and marks off people's names, and then points them to the correct que.

I don't even wait for her to ask. "_________," I blurt.

"Cool, do you know your district number?"

I looked at the name on her list and saw my own next to my district number. I knew what was happening, but I couldn't stop.

"District ___, there I am, Trumps Baby Hands."

She says, "Cool." She slides her pencil over to the next column, where my email and phone number rests. I think about the Bernie Rally a few months ago, which was also prowled by attractive young people armed with clipboards. "Is this contact info still accurate," she says.

I nod, defeated, and she points towards the line on the right. "That's your line. The shorter one."

"Nice, that's what I was hoping to hear", I say, and slink away, cursing my weaknesses.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

god speed

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Excitement about the WA State Democratic Party: very little

As a Washington resident, this is 100% accurate. Our voting choices are frequently between pro-business Democrat and hippie that rants about fluoride in the drinking water. And that is in the general election, due to the top-two system we have.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

A frat boy in a Bernie shirt wanders over to me. He looms above me and hands me a small slip of paper with Bernie's campaign logo on it. I take it for half-a-second, and then hand it back. I say, "No, it's all good, I'm already on board."

The Bernie bro gives me a hurt, piercing look. "It's not about that," he says. His face becomes hard and resolute, like he's getting ready to ship out to the front. He says, "it's about joining the local movement."

"I don't want to join the local movement, thanks," I say. I blurt. He flinches back, and I immediately feel horrible and try to soften it, "You guys got it covered."

He shrugs, walks away.

Why am I like this. Why couldn't I just take the paper and keep my mouth shut. What is this psychotic pride. Where is the bathroom

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Guess which sides the Bernie delegates are on (it's the right. With all the people.)

The Hillary delegates scratch itches, read books. They don't talk amoungst each other. They live their solitude and martyrdom for appearances sake. They are sending the only message they can.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

A frat boy in a Bernie shirt wanders over to me. He looms above me and hands me a small slip of paper with Bernie's campaign logo on it. I take it for half-a-second, and then hand it back. I say, "No, it's all good, I'm already on board."

The Bernie bro gives me a hurt, piercing look. "It's not about that," he says. His face becomes hard and resolute, like he's getting ready to ship out to the front. He says, "it's about joining the local movement."

"I don't want to join the local movement, thanks," I say. I blurt. He flinches back, and I immediately feel horrible and try to soften it, "You guys got it covered."

He shrugs, walks away.

Why am I like this. Why couldn't I just take the paper and keep my mouth shut. What is this psychotic pride. Where is the bathroom

lol

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
This thread is fantastic.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
rip trumps baby hands, still stuck at the caucus.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

He shrugs, walks away.

you should have a local movement in the bathroom

you should poo

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

stoutfish posted:

Yes this is why I love conventions and have stepped up continually to become a delegate further and further up.

Glad your state party seems to have some organization at least; out here, party only gives a poo poo about one city and is absolutely disorganized everywhere else.

You see disorganization in a majority party, you should see opportunity. A small organization with active and coordinated members will kick the poo poo out of a large disorganized and uncoordinated rabble any day. Hell, you could secure the gubernatorial nod for yourself with only, say, 8% of the vote in the first round if you have a small yet mighty machine behind you.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

why put in so much effort to get another guy a 6 figure job?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Twilight Matrix posted:

Because it's a 6 figure job that is responsible for awarding out a 10 digit budget.

My Imaginary GF has issued a correction as of 11:31 on Apr 18, 2016

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

fuckin yelm man. i see my pink shirted hillary supporting neighbor made it

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I was elected Vice Chair of my District in Wasilla, Alaska, and then a week and a half later my chair resigned. Sarah Palin's home.

Do your job and stop whining.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Real Paddy posted:

I was elected Vice Chair of my District in Wasilla, Alaska, and then a week and a half later my chair resigned. Sarah Palin's home.

Do your job and stop whining.

do you know sarah personally. i mean there cant be more than like 8 people in wasilla

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

do you know sarah personally. i mean there cant be more than like 8 people in wasilla

I was once called for jury duty at the same time as she was...I sat a few feet from her and wore my CCCP shirt and was reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra to make sure jury selection went my way. We were both selected out.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The Real Paddy posted:

was reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra to make sure jury selection went my way.

A renowned 19th-century german philosophical novel was the best book you could find for this goal?

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Civilized Fishbot posted:

A renowned 19th-century german philosophical novel was the best book you could find for this goal?

He wanted to communicate very clearly to the prosecution and defense that, if selected, he would be insufferable (it worked)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Laphroaig posted:

He wanted to communicate very clearly to the prosecution and defense that, if selected, he would be insufferable (it worked)

Sometimes, being the most insufferable man in the room ---while being smart enough to get to the room on time--- is all it takes to get ahead in party politics.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sometimes, being the most insufferable man in the room ---while being smart enough to get to the room on time--- is all it takes to get ahead in party politics.

I would also like to point out that Fishmech and Boosted got made mods, thus proving the system works in an [dead gay comedy] autocracy as well.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Laphroaig posted:

...thus proving the system works in an [dead gay comedy] autocracy as well.

...but enough about Ted Cruz and Justin Trudeau.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
I thought Justin Trudeau won by being a dreamboat.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Sorry for abandoning the thread.

Dieting Hippo posted:

rip trumps baby hands, still stuck at the caucus.

Everything that happened during and after the caucus was very emotionally draining. I've been trapped there mentally, stuck in a catatonic state of fearful reflection. I couldn't get a grip on the thing, the pulsating memories of it. I had thought the caucus would be a "fun haha" event to bring up naturally in conversations with sorority girls and anyone else who has been morally and spiritually Enlightened.

Turns out, nope. It morphed into something else entirely, an utterly transformative experience that has left me empty and exhausted.

Posting seemed like a futile act. Why yell into a void when something very real and exciting is happening right in front of your own loving eyes?

Plus, the manic rush resulting from when I had self-medicated with a disposable vaporizer that morning had worn off around the time I stopped posting, and I started thinking that this thread was a bad idea.

That was around noon, about two hours after I'd arrived, and five hours before I hosed up trying to flirt with the cute girl crouching in the top corner of the bleachers, that the elderly Temporary Party Chair leading the Caucus made the horrible announcement that gave us all our first big clue that something was very wrong.

They were running late, way late, and I remember thinking,

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

I'm either losing my mind or I have already lost it, and really, is there a tangible difference between the two? And before I can disappear into this crippling anxiety attack, this elderly woman crawls her way over to the podium, trembling hands clutching a document on which terrible mathematics have apparently been inscribed, judging by the look on her face. She's holding the paper like it contains an actual curse, and for all I know it does.

I don't know what kind of strange Satanist activities these mountain people get up to. How many strange incantations have they pilfered from the gravestones of the Native people who had inhabited this piece of earth, who had lived in balance and harmony with the Land,and were therefore more spiritually advanced then our sinful culture. What if these mountain people have stolen artifacts from the tribes golden age, and repurposed their powerful energies for dark modern purposes? Only ghosts and the Pierce County Democrats could say. I don't believe in either.

The elderly woman, with the document, she reaches the podium and lowers the mic to the vincinity of her disappearing mouth, cracked with memories of better days, better elections.

Imagine what it feels like to have to tell 400 people bad news through a high school P.A. system. I can see the fear radiating off of her from all the way across the stadium.

With great emotional effort, she speaks:

"Hello delegates! Thank you so much for your patience. You are such an important part of our democracy, especially you people that have taken time out of your life to do this." Yeah, lady, we get it. Deep down, each and every person in this room believes they are a minor civic hero just for being here.

Twilight Matrix posted:

Because it's the right thing to do.

Look at me, I thought. I'm doing my civic duty to the essential spirit of Christian Democracy and also to the kindly old wizard Bernie Sanders. I'm a good person.

But also I was very bored and incredibly lonely. It was another psychedelic experience I could shove into my memory and replay over and over as I count the hours of my otherwise unbearable life. I spend all my time rotting away in classrooms, procrastinating on yet another essay about nothing important at all.

This election is our escape, and there's no better way to mainline all that delicious political madness than by getting high and driving up into the mountains to attend a District Caucus.

Trumps Baby Hands has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Apr 21, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

congrats on being high also nice thread i like how it currently cuts off without an actual conclusion thats very experimental

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

By the way, I should mention that some people took this poo poo very, very seriously, especially those that wanted to move on up to the next level. At our precinct caucus we'd all just kind of said, "sure, I'll do it, whatever", but here people came and handed you things, clever things, in a brazen attempt to convince you of their worthiness

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

oystertoadfish posted:

congrats on being high also nice thread i like how it currently cuts off without an actual conclusion thats very experimental

thank you for supporting the arts

and so I'm here, in these sweaty bleachers, continuing the experiment, trying to listen to the old lady while also keenly aware of the girl sitting in the top-left, who had somehow managed to retreat even further into the finite amount of space between the seat and the wall, driven to hide by some primitive psychosis that I knew I would find fascinating if ever wanted to tell me about them over coffee inside Seattle's new upscale movie theater, the kind that are 21+ and will bring wine and beer to your seat. Maybe she hasn't seen The VVitch yet, or she slept on Midnight Surprise and didn't even know it was still out in theaters, and I say "well it's probably not playing at most theaters, but hip places like this will screen the good movies for a lot longer, especially if they've achieved a certain level of pristigie in the artistic community",and she's all, "Wow, you know so much cool stuff, do you live around here because we should definitely hang out"

And then I zone back into the caucus, to the auditorium I zone into the quivering voice on the P.A., the breathing of the alternative delegates sitting next to me, and I feel all the unpleasant sensations of being inside the present moment. A sudden premonition alerts me to the fact that something is about to upset all these people.
The elderly lady at the podium, she raises a fist and says, "The Rules Committee have encountered an unexpected situation that has required them to check with the party so as to know what we were supposed to do in this... uhh, scenario."

Silence takes control of the room. No one looks at their phone. Hearts beat, eyes stare. She has our attention, and it withers her. She cannot fully occupy the position she has found herself playing in this drama. She was too normal. She looks down at her notes to tries and find an escape there, and delivers her message. It's a message one of simple facts:

325 bound delegates have been seated.

120 alternate delegates have been seated, or stuffed, into the shittiest, most remote bleachers in room, to bear witness

84 people remain unseated, because 84 people haven't shown up.

If we can't find a qualified alternative for an empty seat (from the same district, supports the same candidate) then that delegate slot will not count towards the total amount initially pledged to the candidate, be it for Bernie or for Hillary.

There was also a small amount of uncommitted delegates, who would get to personally chose how to vote. If one of those seats was absent, then the alternate selected for it would be able to vote for either Bernie or Hilary, based on personal preference.

Hundreds of minds collectively churned, sharing an invisible chalkboard upon which we did some calculations.

84 loving people didn't show up?!?

The outcome was no longer pre-determined. Delegates were potentially up for grabs. We could still change things. We still had power.

And so we would have to go through all 84 seats one-by-one to determine if the delegate had just forgot to sign in, or if there was an alternate from that district.
We check our watches and phones, and all 445 of us break out into pandemonium.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

jesus gently caress im on the edge of my seat here

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I live in Puyallup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

jesus gently caress im on the edge of my seat here