Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Release Date: June 7th, 2016 (NA) June 8th, 2016 (EU)
Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC (Origin)
Developer: DICE
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mirrorsedge
Twitter: https://twitter.com/mirrorsedge
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/MirrorsEdgeTheGame

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst is a reboot of 2008 cult hit game, Mirror's Edge. In the city of Glass, groups of free-spirits called Runners live off the grid on the city's rooftops and act as couriers/criminals for those willing to pay for their services. You play as Faith, a young woman with a rebellious streak that holds no love for the ruling Conglomerate, and also one of the best Runners in the city. After being released from a stint in prison, she soon finds herself caught in the middle of a conflict between those that rule Glass, and those fighting to depose them. What makes Mirror's Edge so unique is that the majority of the game takes place from Faith's first-person perspective as she traverse's Glass using her parkour skills (the game goes into a third-person view for special combat takedowns). Unlike the first game, Catalyst will be in an open-world setting, giving you more freedom on the path to take to your objective. Combat does return from the first game, but has been completely re-done. The developers claim that the goal of the combat design is to keep Faith mobile and not have it slow down your momentum, which was one of the more frustrating aspects of the first game. Moreover, while Faith will face enemies with firearms, she herself doesn't use them, and will rely on her movement and unarmed abilities to get past them. And while there has been a lot of emphasis on the new combat system, it does look like there will be opportunities to just run past enemies and avoid fighting all together, and hopefully that will remain true for the whole game.

Characters:

Faith Connors

The protagonist. Her family was killed in a riot when she was seven, and she was taken in by Noah to become a Runner. Thrill-seeker who doesn't care for rules.

Noah

One of the most respected leaders of the Runners, and Faith's guardian after her parents were killed. Thinks of her as a daughter, and worries about her recklessness.

Icarus

After Faith was arrested, he became the top Runner in Glass. Doesn't like Faith, and seems pretty jealous about her relationship with Noah. Bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Gabriel Kruger

Head of KrugerSec, and one of the influential leaders of the Conglomerate. Hates Runners and the Resistance fighting the Conglomerate.

Trailers:

Announcement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDX_LiJT7E

Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GBVMGXXFMw

Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOe3ik_RViE

Developer Diaries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_iikaH8b8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNZuI4Q8YK8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm0H-v3P0Zw

There going to be a demo "Closed Beta" from April 22nd to April 26th. Anyone in it will be able to play several story missions, side missions, and the Social Play feature.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Post reserved for other stuff.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Looking forward to this. Loved the first so much.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
a reboot of a series that's one game that didn't even come out that long ago is still hilarious.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
i've been calling this game retard's edge

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Anatharon posted:

a reboot of a series that's one game that didn't even come out that long ago is still hilarious.

I can see why they decided to go with a reboot. Mirror's Edge was 8 years ago, which is more than long enough for the developers to decide they didn't like the box they wrote themselves into with that game's ending. IIRC when the new game was first announced they pitched it as a "prequel" and it's not hard to imagine how that turns into "actually let's just scrap all that stuff from before and start from scratch" over the course of a few productive design meetings.

I don't mind, personally. I didn't hate the first game's story the way some people did but it's not like I'm tearing my hair out because we'll never find out how Faith and Kate got off the roof of that building.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Movements are locked behind upgrades

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
This looks like Ubisoft Game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Opposing Farce posted:

I can see why they decided to go with a reboot. Mirror's Edge was 8 years ago, which is more than long enough for the developers to decide they didn't like the box they wrote themselves into with that game's ending. IIRC when the new game was first announced they pitched it as a "prequel" and it's not hard to imagine how that turns into "actually let's just scrap all that stuff from before and start from scratch" over the course of a few productive design meetings.

I don't mind, personally. I didn't hate the first game's story the way some people did but it's not like I'm tearing my hair out because we'll never find out how Faith and Kate got off the roof of that building.

It's easy to understand it, though it's still a bit disappointing. Mostly because the original had such a [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERyxFfMqDk]good soundtrack[/url] and I can't imagine they'll reuse any of it for a reboot.

Still, I'm super excited for this. I hope it's good. The original, despite its flaws, is one of my favorite games.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Movements are locked behind upgrades

Yeah that really sucks, but hopefully basic movements will already be unlocked, or at least be unlocked by the time the game opens up.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

One of the few game soundtracks I own, hope this one is as good.

Also what's this "playing as faith for the MAJORITY of the game" poo poo?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Do we get a Solar Fields soundtrack with this one too?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

One of the few game soundtracks I own, hope this one is as good.

Also what's this "playing as faith for the MAJORITY of the game" poo poo?

I mean in the sense that the game goes into a third-person view for special takedowns. As far as anyone knows, you're playing as Faith the entire time. I edited the OP to clarify.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

PunkBoy posted:

I mean in the sense that the game goes into a third-person view for special takedowns. As far as anyone knows, you're playing as Faith the entire time.

Ah ok

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cautiously optimistic for this, but recent gameplay videos have reduced my excitement rather than increased it. :(

Also this whole "City of Glass/Cascadia Prime" thing makes me think I might live in this game's city

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PunkBoy posted:

Noah

One of the most respected leaders of the Runners, and Faith's guardian after her parents were killed. Thinks of her as a daughter, and worries about her recklessness.
He's going to betray you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I replay Mirror's Edge every six months or so in an attempt to convince myself the game was better than I remember it beGODDAMMIT FAITH JUST REACH YOUR loving ARMS OUT AND GRAB ON YOU loving SMACKED YOUR FACE INTO THAT LEDGE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
are they going to actually render her body this time? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPSCeVSM0Sg

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Over / under on them adding horrible combat to a game about running (again)?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Trivia posted:

If you mean the guns from the first game, their being bad was a cool thing about the game. The punching and such I'll grant you, though.

I really liked the first game, particularly for its visual design, but "open world" makes me fear that the level design will suffer. Also Origin, and I think my PC is too old to really do the game justice. I am still cautiously optimistic for it but will probably wait for positive reports before deciding to put up with awful first person console controls for it.

I hope the twist ends up being Kruger is actually the good guy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PunkBoy posted:

she soon finds herself caught in the middle of a conflict between those that rule Glass, and those fighting to depose them.
:geno:

PunkBoy posted:

Unlike the first game, Catalyst will be in an open-world setting, giving you more freedom on the path to take to your objective.
That was a major weakness of the first, that a lot of the time the "challenge" consisted entirely of looking around till you saw the only possible path you could take. Being able to take alternate routes that had different challenges and obstacles would be neat.

PunkBoy posted:

Combat does return from the first game
:(

PunkBoy posted:

while Faith will face enemies with firearms, she herself doesn't use them
Well, unless combat is basically unrecognisable compared with the first game, I guess I won't be playing it, because being able to steal guns and just shoot people was the only way I got through a lot of it. And that gameplay trailer made combat look pretty much identical, for all they say they've changed it.

PunkBoy posted:

a lot of emphasis on the new combat system
Why? Why does this game even need combat? It was the biggest factor in ruining the first one, why even have it?

Mordja posted:

He's going to betray you.
My guess is he knew exactly what was going to happen in that first mission (shown in the gameplay trailer) and deliberately sent Faith in to get whatever it was she grabbed.

Trivia posted:

Judging by the gameplay they've shown, they absolutely 100% have done that.

Why can't we just have a game where you're a parkour courier and the police only hassle you for trespassing and stuff rather than having a big conspiracy plot where the cops are constantly trying to chase and shoot you? Why include combat at all? OK, so you can apparently run rather than fight, but I'm 100% confident that that will be the challenge option rather than the default choice.

The bits in the first game where there was an open path and you just had to run and jump and climb and keep moving were great. It got poo poo any time there was an enemy around or you ended up in one of those spots where it was really unclear which way you were meant to go. Also, it looks like the game doesn't have any kind of radar or GPS again, which was pretty frustrating the first time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Why can't we just have a game where you're a parkour courier and the police only hassle you for trespassing and stuff rather than having a big conspiracy plot where the cops are constantly trying to chase and shoot you? Why include combat at all? OK, so you can apparently run rather than fight, but I'm 100% confident that that will be the challenge option rather than the default choice.

Because EA believes it wouldn't sell. Regardless of the reality of that.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Well, unless combat is basically unrecognisable compared with the first game, I guess I won't be playing it, because being able to steal guns and just shoot people was the only way I got through a lot of it. And that gameplay trailer made combat look pretty much identical, for all they say they've changed it.

I thought guns were pretty much useless is ME 1. The only decent one was the sniper rifle since it was the only one you could aim. Even then, it was much easier to just run past them, with the occasional sliding dick kick or wall kick to stun anyone in your immediate way.

Tiggum posted:

Why? Why does this game even need combat? It was the biggest factor in ruining the first one, why even have it?

Lucha armbars are cool.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 19, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

edit: derp

Orv posted:

Because EA believes it wouldn't sell. Regardless of the reality of that.
it amuses me that big publisher echo chambers don't realize why poo poo like endless runners are popular despite being hilariously prolific

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 19, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PunkBoy posted:

I thought guns were pretty much useless is ME 1. The only decent one was the sniper rifle since it was the only one you could aim. Even then, it was much easier to just run past them, with the occasional sliding dick kick or wall kick to stun anyone in your immediate way.
I didn't have any issues with the guns at all. Melee combat, on the other hand, never worked for me. I'd basically have to replay every combat bit until I found a way to take one guy completely by surprise, away from his friends, so I could grab his gun and then use it to kill the rest.

Also I never actually finished the game. I got up to that bit where you're in the back of a truck and it drives somewhere and you have to escape, but you're in a room full of dudes. I just gave up after a couple of attempts at that because it seemed impossible.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Mirror's Edge is still one of the only games that I immediately replayed upon beating it the first time.

I highly doubt I'll be grabbing this until it's $19.99 at Gamestop. That gameplay footage was just :geno:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That gameplay footage was just :geno:

EA.txt

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Mirror's edge was like the most linear game ever. You only followed a orange line the entire game. The only time you got to kick people was the final battle.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

Mirror's edge was like the most linear game ever. You only followed a orange line the entire game. The only time you got to kick people was the final battle.

Yeah but it was fun to run around the maps, unlike other linear games like Call of Duty.

And it didn't have "RPG elements" poorly tacked onto it, unlike this mess.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

edit: derp

it amuses me that big publisher echo chambers don't realize why poo poo like endless runners are popular despite being hilariously prolific

Most endless runners are either free or not sixty dollars at launch, and none of them play like ME in even the loosest sense.

I remember very little positive of Mirror's Edge as a whole. It did have a nice soundtrack save for that one really meh vocal piece. It controlled like dogshit on console and PC, and I don't quite understand the insistence that combat is what "hurt" the game. 90 percent of it was running through very bland environments where there was realistically very few ways the game wanted you to run through. While the combat didn't help matters any, it feels like the rest of the game gets a pass from its fans simply for existing rather than anything amazing it actually pulled off.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
it's notorious for being the last slightly insteresting AAA game, not because it was super amazing or anything

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

program666 posted:

it's notorious for being the last slightly insteresting AAA game, not because it was super amazing or anything

The best part about people who think no AAA game ever after (x) can be fun or interesting is that they quickly make it easy to completely ignore their opinions about videogames in general.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

A couple websites have already played the closed beta and have posted footage.

Polygon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryfvCPV2vEw

Giant Bomb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTqjF6LB1Oo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The best part is this game totally rips off Sonic. Gotta run fast!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Movement Skill Tree To Determine How Good You Are At Running And Jumping And You Can Run And Jump Better If You Buy It

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Movement Skill Tree To Determine How Good You Are At Running And Jumping And You Can Run And Jump Better If You Buy It

Oh great a RPG skill tree, you know the game is so good, you would want to run everywhere to see everything. Just like in Assassin's Creed!

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
So, there wasn't a whole lot of detail in the previous version of the game -- Faith was a Runner. Runners moved stuff/messages around and the powers-that-be didn't like it. Now run around and have some sort of police-intrigue thing happen...

Seeing Faith on the ground and hearing more about the society that she's broken from in the gameplay videos is interesting. I hope that it's more fleshed out.

Yes, in the primary colors and shiny things game about running around, I want to see where they see a world where employment is compulsory not only by economic force but also force of law. I don't know what such a world would look like, how it would play out and I hope that someone has given it a good deal of thought.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I loved Mirror's Edge and played that game so many times. It's one of my all-time favorites and I was extremely excited for this game as soon as I heard it was announced.

The overall aesthetics of the original game were very appealing to me, including the city's design, the character design, and the music especially. Solar Fields did the soundtrack to the original and as soon as I heard he was back for Catalyst I was sold. The music just complements the game so well, it never overshadows anything going on and always enhances the situation.

I never had a problem with the controls, though, and I played on PS3. When I was working on the speed runs through each chapter I did have some frustrations doing some very tricky moves, but otherwise it played well. I'm glad they're getting rid of guns because some of the forced combat sections like the garage in the Shard or the Boat never flowed well.

Everything I've heard about Catalyst sounds like the devs are handling this right. They haven't messed with the core running aspect and, while I don't have the details on the unlock system, I can't imagine that you won't be able to do your basic moves (wall runs, slides, rolls, vaults, etc) from the get-go. And I think the open world fits this kind of thing perfect because it's all about the journey where most open world games it's about the destination.

So that's my take on Mirror's Edge. I'm glad that I'll have Uncharted to help get through the days leading up to reheat l release.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why did they kill her sister? They just like changing the game up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i dont want to collect poo poo i want to run

• Locked thread