Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Loved the first and just started this one and happy it's more of the same. Don't give a poo poo that the story is bad since that is true for most games, especially the original ME.

The side missions can be pretty tough, huh? I worked my way to some 3 star dashes but then I did some 'fragile package' runs, and you basically need the equivalent of a 3 star run to even finish. The 'vial' one took me a whole of tries to find & execute on a route that actually worked, and I still finished at 0:00.

And for some baffling reason, they don't have the quick restart feature of dashes, nor do collectibles you grab during a failed run save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished. Love love love this game. One thing I have a question about though while it's still fresh in my mind: Faith shoots someone right after leaving Cat in her flashback. He acted like she should know him, so originally I thought she shot her dad or Noah but later flashbacks reveal neither could be the case. Did I miss a tell here or is this a dropped thread?

Now to do about a trillion dashes and delivery missions. I intentionally left them for later because I realized my time was being gimped early on by a lack of movement skills.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I noticed that guy, too...I think I missed the point of it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I thought she wounded Noah in the past? Maybe that's wrong. Honestly, I have no idea.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I thought one of them ran into a policeman, grabbed his gun like a curious kid, pointed it because hey that's what you do with guns and then accidentally shot him?

Is it the same guy who tried to get them somewhere to hide?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Nichael posted:

I thought she wounded Noah in the past? Maybe that's wrong. Honestly, I have no idea.

Can't be Noah; in the last flashback he pops up and takes her away a minute after the gunshot.

Strategic Tea posted:

I thought one of them ran into a policeman, grabbed his gun like a curious kid, pointed it because hey that's what you do with guns and then accidentally shot him?

Is it the same guy who tried to get them somewhere to hide?

Hmm, it could have something to do with the recordings, I didn't listen to even a quarter of them. She must have known him because he says "Faith, don't you recognize me?" or something before we get a gunshot noise and a still shot of a bullet casing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm not sure, the time seems all jumbled on purpose.

But come to think if it is she not watching from the tunnel/basement thing when the shot is fired?

Was there a second gunman?

Can black november melt steel beams?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Probably some poo poo that's explained in the comic book that contains like half the plot

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Dogen posted:

Probably some poo poo that's explained in the comic book that contains like half the plot

somehow I forgot about the comic book (despite the loading screens constantly bugging me to go read it)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just did the final mission, climbing the final area was great and the first time the game made me feel properly vertiginous "oh fuuuck am I high up". However I can't help but feel a lack of agency at the very end, despite how fantastic it looked and was choreographed.

At least the first game had a QuickTime event to kick matey off a building. Would have been nice to have been dragged by rope under a drone or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, the last mission had awesome presentation, but it's a missed opportunity in terms of gameplay.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, the last mission had awesome presentation, but it's a missed opportunity in terms of gameplay.

I feel like the grappling hook sort of ruined it. It's a really fantastic looking level, and going along the outside helps that a lot, but most of the mission you're just looking around for the next grapple point instead of running.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

IXIX posted:

I feel like the grappling hook sort of ruined it. It's a really fantastic looking level, and going along the outside helps that a lot, but most of the mission you're just looking around for the next grapple point instead of running.

That's why I really disliked it as well. Like the game should be challenging, not run around a corner and hit space or whatever

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The soundtrack by Solar Fields was released on Friday and... it's 32 tracks with a runtime over 5 hours. :fap:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shoren posted:

The soundtrack by Solar Fields was released on Friday and... it's 32 tracks with a runtime over 5 hours. :fap:

Full version of Benefactor would be sweet.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Shoren posted:

Nice! already available on spotify, too. Know how I'm spending my evening.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's really cool that Solar Fields actually made an entire suite of music for this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqbgxE1FEE listening to something this fleshed out is so much better than the 3-minute slices of music from the ME1 ost.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I noticed the track that plays at the end when Faith and her Sister are fighting is missing. Not sure if any other tracks are.

It's one of my favorites which is probably why i noticed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kithyen posted:

I noticed the track that plays at the end when Faith and her Sister are fighting is missing. Not sure if any other tracks are.

Is it a track by Crvrches or something that would have a rights issue?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I don't see why that would be an issue since this was the official EA-released soundtrack and Chvrches was brought on to do the spiritual successor to Still Alive. I also don't remember what song played in that instance so don't take my word for it. I was surprised Warning Call wasn't included at all on this release, though.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

It sounds like the other music so I assumed it was a solar fields song. Maybe not.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kithyen posted:

Now that I'm listening to the soundtrack the song you mention does sound like a remix of that last bit on track 30 'The Shard'.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

What determines the speed of Faith's animation when vaulting over objects after a long jump? Testing it on the same places, sometimes it'll be instant while other times it'll take a while which is making Dashes a pain to 3 star.
Does the Shift bar actually increase your speed when it fills up or does it serve no purpose in non-combat situations?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

GUI posted:

What determines the speed of Faith's animation when vaulting over objects after a long jump? Testing it on the same places, sometimes it'll be instant while other times it'll take a while which is making Dashes a pain to 3 star.
Does the Shift bar actually increase your speed when it fills up or does it serve no purpose in non-combat situations?

What do you mean by a long jump? The only real variation that troubled me with Faith's movement was jumping up to higher objects where sometimes she'd get her foot up on the level and others she'd have to grab it and pull herself up. Mostly it was due to angle. I know there was a dash in Shimmering Heights that gave me hell - it was going from where the Savant mission was back toward Plastic's Lair and after you ziplined across you'd springboard off a railing up to another rooftop and it was incredibly finicky which animation you'd get and the timing was so tight that was enough to determine whether you got 3 stars or not.

That bar doesn't improve your speed at all, it's just your amount of invincibility from bullets when you're running. You should still shift at every opportunity when you get slowed down for one reason or another otherwise it'll take longer to hit top speed again.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I don't remember the move's exact name right now, but whichever one it is that allows you to jump high up into the air if you hold down the jump button as you're about to vault over an object. When you grab onto a ledge after that jump Faith will either pull up immediately or take a while to do so and I have no idea what determines this.
For example, with the jump here, whether it plays out the instant animation like there (14 seconds in) or the longer one seems entirely random when I tried it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah, we were talking about the same thing and that's the exact jump I was talking about (just on a different dash). As far as I can tell the only thing that seems to affect it is the angle at which you approach the ledge. After you springboard off the railing, if you're hitting the ledge straight on I think Faith tends to do the slow animation, but if you hit it at an angle (the more acute the better) then she'll tend to do the quicker one. Hope that helps.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The complete soundtrack is good music to read to; sure helped me on a recent 21 hour train ride.

Well worth the $10

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finally got around to start playing the game. Absolutely love it. Just got to the part where Kruger raids the runner base

I've been actually enjoying the combat as well, which is surprising. Using the environment to dart in and out of fights is pretty fun.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I played this a little while ago, having done what I usually don't do and ignored the reviews entirely and bought a game. And drat if I didn't enjoy the experience thoroughly!

It's still not perfect, by any means; the mechanics are a little weird to figure out, Faith still has the same problems with first person parkour as the last game, the combat is still imbalanced as balls and good as this game is, it's still really, really dear at 60 bucks especially considering how short the main campaign is, but... it's still super fun running around and finding ways to climb up things, and now that the city is open world, there's significantly more of it to do; it still looks gorgeous and I love the color coding of the various districts upon the white; the story, while not original in the slightest, is better than the first one's (in that there is a story at all, and not just a thin excuse to tie set-pieces together) and I found myself actually connecting with some of the characters and their arcs (except for Icarus, really, who could just as easily not have been there); and that setting was so much more compelling now that there is actually a name and a history to the places you're jumping around- it's me, I'm the guy who read all of the codex entries and found every one. And the audiologs. And read the comic....

But yeah, I don't regret it! Fun game, critics are bunk About the only thing I missed was beating up a former wrestler turned corrupt mayor, but... I can deal

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I completely forgot I bought this, I liked the first one. I guess I should play this one.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

anyone tried playing the first game again after this? I did but old-faith feels sooooo sluggish

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Yeah I tried going back as well. It was pretty startling how the run speed in Catalyst, never mins everything else, is probably twice as fast.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MEC is a superior experience and there's literally no reason to look back to the first game.

edit; run forward

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 13, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah no. I can deal with the slower moves as I actually like the level design in the first one better, and I get to skip 99% of the combat completely.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

orcane posted:

Yeah no. I can deal with the slower moves as I actually like the level design in the first one better, and I get to skip 99% of the combat completely.

*tases u in the back repeatedly while u climb a pipe*

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The only reason to go back and play ME1 is to listen to "Still Alive"

The game is a dinosaur.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Reiterating my love for the soundtrack. Some of the best $10 I've spent in a while. I've been reading, writing, biking, etc to it. Seems to accommodate all sorts of moods.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just wanted to say I like this game and people should pick it up since it's on deep discount these days ($50 off in IRL Cascadia :canada:).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sup fellow IRL Cascadia goon playing virtual Cascadia game :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sup fellow IRL Cascadia goon playing virtual Cascadia game :hf:

:hf: Weird that the map on the web site looks exactly like southeastern Australia though.

Sorry if this is a well known thing but I lived in Sydney before Cascadia so it immediately stuck out. :)

edit: also is it safe to assume I can do sidequests etc after the main story with my upgraded character?

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 10, 2016

• Locked thread