Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

- Getting one thing out of the way: you get like 2-3 points right off the bat from the first two side missions, you can use both to get the roll/walljump. There, problem solved everybody, nothing to see here. The actual movement skill tree from there branches off into a few things like double wall jumps or faster pipe climbs--didn't see anything else that was a basic move from the last game locked up so the skill tree of woe is overblown, if not pretty useless. The rest of the stuff I saw were combat upgrades and moves, but nothing life changing. The skill tree is barely a thing so there's nothing remotely RPG or annoying about unlocking this stuff.

It's good that they poorly solved a problem they made for no reason, but there is still the question of why any of that is even there. If it doesn't matter, why is it there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

chumbler posted:

It's good that they poorly solved a problem they made for no reason, but there is still the question of why any of that is even there. If it doesn't matter, why is it there?

Because its one of those trends that weasels its way into AAA gaming for a while you know? It was probably forced in by some suit at EA since it's the 'in' thing for open world games at the moment which our market analysts say improves long term sales by 13.5 percent measuring from the first week after launch. Here watch this video and slam your fists onto a table in furious agreement if you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-EuyU2hb8

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Downloading the beta now, hopefully this will tide me over for awhile!

If anyone didn't sign up for the beta on PS4, here's my friend code: CH5Q-53NL-MEFF

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Walrus posted:

so wait, the one game where climbing towers to get access to the map might actually be fun, and it`s the one ubi game where that doesnt happen? lol

There is "billboard hacking" which is the same as tower climbing.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Spare Xbox One code:

K44W3-VTMP3-24VCF-RY6HD-27CCZ

Beta's fun. Been years since I played the first one, but easy to get back into the groove of it. Some of the textures look a bit rough, but that could be the beta (or xbox).

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
PS4 code:

BAB6-22NJ-T6EC

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

so wait, the one game where climbing towers to get access to the map might actually be fun, and it`s the one ubi game where that doesnt happen? lol

This isn't a Ubisoft game...

Anyone else excited for Leaderboards? I play a ton of Trials and I'm excited to play a new time trial game. My short time with the beta has me excited to get off work and get back at my times.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Got into the top 10 percent ranking for the first time trial on PS4! I made a bee-line for unlocking the roll, quick-turn, and the mid-air tuck, and got them unlocked easily even before I got to the story mission. Speaking of, I was able to complete the first major mission (the data-steal) without fighting at all. Game owns.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
[quote="MinibarMatchman" post=""459053710"]

This was just my impression upon one hour or so of playing it but there's nothing outwardly negative that comes to mind; the beginning missions are easy and boorish but the foundation is there for some cool poo poo. I think the only thing I really, REALLY miss is the soundtrack....I heard almost no music while playing and loved the music in the first one so I'm wondering if they'll have tracks in the finished game playing.
[/quote]

Eh? I heard plenty of music in my play through. The open world stuff was pretty chill and ambient, but it was there, one of the missions I played definitely had a puzzle phase and chase phase. I mean there isnt anything as memorable as the shard in the first game yet but im betting the full game will have it. Also I was playing with headphones. Also the traversal combat is fun just cause your flying around like some kind of lucha libre and feels good, doesnt impact momentum at all.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
They want me to complete Nomad's Run in 23 seconds for 3 stars? That's bullshit, how do you expect me to find any quicker shortcuts when it's 2 buildings away?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Got some spare PS4 codes for ya!

C38E-G5NC-MKR6
F4E5-RNN3-LP7A
G24F-DMNC-PELQ

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Decided to check out the official forums for this game and someone thinks that EA deserves the "Worst Company Ever" award because of the beta watermark.

Lol.

km2
Jul 27, 2012

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ugh why the gently caress is she standing still? loving EA ruining the game what do you have to stand and look at the cops now before you can run from them?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Ugh why the gently caress is she standing still? loving EA ruining the game what do you have to stand and look at the cops now before you can run from them?

don't worry, he kicks you off a balcony anyway

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Agoat posted:

Decided to check out the official forums for this game and someone thinks that EA deserves the "Worst Company Ever" award because of the beta watermark.

Lol.

I briefly played the closed beta for the now cancelled Fable Legends, and it had like five of those watermarks onscreen t all times.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Game seems fine. It's nice that if they insist on keeping combat they made it so you can integrate it into your actual running some more, and knocking guys into each other will stay funny I expect. The skill system is whatever; it doesn't need to exist but they let you get everything important to just enjoying the running right off the bat, so. I think Mirror's Edge was better off for its story being vague and relatively unimportant, I have a feeling I won't give a poo poo about or will actively dislike anyone who has more than a few lines by the end of it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
The biggest issue I have with this game is the dialog between Faith and her rival runner. Terrible.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Original Mirror's Edge is still one of the nicest looking games ever released and the gameplay was actually refreshing. Always hoped they would release a sequel, or in this case a reboot. I didn't even hate the combat in ME as much as everybody else did. It was usually pretty brief and I enjoyed the stupid disconnect plotwise when it made out you were an innocent girl chased by the big evil government when I had already killed dozens of people.

As long as the game preserves the visual aesthetic, the fluidity of movement and the contrasting paces of chill exploration/adrenalin chase stuff of the original it should be top notch.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jeza posted:

Original Mirror's Edge is still one of the nicest looking games ever released and the gameplay was actually refreshing. Always hoped they would release a sequel, or in this case a reboot. I didn't even hate the combat in ME as much as everybody else did. It was usually pretty brief and I enjoyed the stupid disconnect plotwise when it made out you were an innocent girl chased by the big evil government when I had already killed dozens of people.

As long as the game preserves the visual aesthetic, the fluidity of movement and the contrasting paces of chill exploration/adrenalin chase stuff of the original it should be top notch.

The initial prologue's actually all dark and rainy and stuff, and for a moment I was worried they'd be going for maximum grit everywhere. But fortunately the moment you get to the proper overworld it goes back to the nice clean and aesthetic with bold colour contrasts from the predecessor. Visually it's looking really nice, apart from some annoying texture pop-ins.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Perestroika posted:

The initial prologue's actually all dark and rainy and stuff, and for a moment I was worried they'd be going for maximum grit everywhere. But fortunately the moment you get to the proper overworld it goes back to the nice clean and aesthetic with bold colour contrasts from the predecessor. Visually it's looking really nice, apart from some annoying texture pop-ins.

On the PS4, the cut scenes stutter to like 4 FPS. I'm going to wait for the inevitable 6GB patch that they are going to have to release in the first week before I buy it.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Fremry posted:

On the PS4, the cut scenes stutter to like 4 FPS. I'm going to wait for the inevitable 6GB patch that they are going to have to release in the first week before I buy it.

The game does need some love in the optimization department.

Cut scenes on my PC desync from the audio and the frame rate tanks. Also, there's some pretty fundamental problems with their asset streaming. Common assets like the electronics boxes that are all over the place leave memory and have to have their high-res textures read back a lot. The game looks great and when it isn't stuttering, plays quite well. I'd like the combat to be less mandatory, but they did seem to roll it in pretty nicely with flow-preserving moves. I will say that the combat does a good job of making you feel mobile and such.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Someone offered me a beta code and I tried this on a whim. Played a couple of hours last night.

I really like it actually! I went in not expecting much (I never finished the first game. I enjoyed it but it didn't hold me all the way through. Might have been because I kinda sucked), but I am having fun here. Running around in the open world collecting stuff is pretty neat, and I like that there's not just one way to get somewhere, there's all sorts of routes once you figure out how to get around various obstacles. The side missions that I've seen kind of boil down to the same thing so far - get from A to B in the quickest time - but that's alright because that's the main core of fun in the game - moving about. Having said that there are already times on the Dash challenges which are mindboggling to me. Like 10 second faster than the quickest route I've found. This loops back round to me being bad though.

As some other people have said, the skilltree seems to be a non issue. There is a Grappling Hook type thing you can get later, which lets you swing off security cameras, which looks pretty neat.

I think I'll pick this up, though maybe not at release. They've pushed it back too close to No Man's Sky.

E: Worth noting that I played this on PC. I threw all the options up to Ultra (then turned motion blur off), and it ran really great except for the stuttering in cutscenes that psivamp mentioned. Aside from that though, good framerate everywhere. Game looks pretty too, though not hugely stunning. Largely down to the art style I think. Lots of white and grey.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 24, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I played through the intro in the beta and i think the game feels really good.

Does anyone know how long this thing is? Does it cut off at some point?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Where are the beta keys coming from? Preorders or something?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I finally watched the half hour of gameplay. Looks like a lot of fun, and it seems like maybe the melee combat is improved enough that it won't be awful? It's hard to tell until you're playing it yourself. We haven't even seen any of the open world aspect yet either.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

w00tazn posted:

I played through the intro in the beta and i think the game feels really good.

Does anyone know how long this thing is? Does it cut off at some point?

It cuts off after about 3 story missions, not counting the intro tutorial.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Do you still get to run around in freeroam or does it just stop?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

psivamp posted:

The game does need some love in the optimization department.

Cut scenes on my PC desync from the audio and the frame rate tanks. Also, there's some pretty fundamental problems with their asset streaming. Common assets like the electronics boxes that are all over the place leave memory and have to have their high-res textures read back a lot. The game looks great and when it isn't stuttering, plays quite well. I'd like the combat to be less mandatory, but they did seem to roll it in pretty nicely with flow-preserving moves. I will say that the combat does a good job of making you feel mobile and such.

Honestly, it seems like combat is even less mandatory than in the predecessor (outside of the fight-focused side-missions with the beacons). With flow shield full you can basically just run straight past everything with no risk to you at all unless you slow down. And with the way the running attacks work, you can still take down a dude without ever slowing down if he happens to be blocking your way directly.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

AirRaid posted:

Do you still get to run around in freeroam or does it just stop?

You still get to run around in free roam and can keep doing the sidequest missions and user generated races and so on.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Having said that there are already times on the Dash challenges which are mindboggling to me. Like 10 second faster than the quickest route I've found. This loops back round to me being bad though.

I hope they store a ghost of the fastest time for each run that is viewable. I consider myself good at these games (I have the plat for the original) and some of these are just untouchable. I'm content with not being number 1 if I can still get the 3 stars, but I'd still like to know how these times are made and whether they're legit or not.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shoren posted:

I hope they store a ghost of the fastest time for each run that is viewable. I consider myself good at these games (I have the plat for the original) and some of these are just untouchable. I'm content with not being number 1 if I can still get the 3 stars, but I'd still like to know how these times are made and whether they're legit or not.

I went through a few of the community-made races that do display a ghost, and there's one exploit that made it over from ME1: If you continually do the coiljump (i.e. pressing duck while in air to pull up your legs), you'll move faster than at a straight run. So by just bunnyhopping like mad you'll be several seconds faster than somebody who just properly ran on the ground along the same route. Hopefully they'll fix that before release.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Shoren posted:

Yeah the High Roller's Avenue or whatever it's called, I could only manage 2 stars, not sure how 3 is achievable. Maybe I'm missing a shortcut but the route I took seems reasonably direct.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

those dash challenges are good but has anyone even done the delivery mission? I feel like with the nonexistent navigation/waypoints they are impossible. I've tried to do the vial delivery and statue delivery and jesus christ, it seems the time limits given are WAY too short. I genuinely thought they were impossible but maybe I'm just bad, because there are just no indicators about where you're going unless you bring up the map. And even then, if you change the waypoint, you can't get the original one loving back. Worst part is hearing those stupid voiceovers again and again so I just quit.
I think my biggest gripe so far is that when you set a waypoint, it can actually get hidden by loving architecture, which is insanely bad because every building in the city can potentially hide it.

Also really hated that the loving glass in the building infiltration mission seemed completely transparent, making me run into it several times. Also in the Birdman pigeon rescue sidemission, there was a gate with the pigeon in it and I could not climb over it. Even doing the walljump, I hit an invisible wall and could not reach it. So, that was the end of the beta for me. I just really hope they fix the navigation waypoint stuff because it's a big city, and not being able to have little indicators for even side missions would make this annoyingly unplayable for me.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

those dash challenges are good but has anyone even done the delivery mission? I feel like with the nonexistent navigation/waypoints they are impossible. I've tried to do the vial delivery and statue delivery and jesus christ, it seems the time limits given are WAY too short. I genuinely thought they were impossible but maybe I'm just bad, because there are just no indicators about where you're going unless you bring up the map. And even then, if you change the waypoint, you can't get the original one loving back. Worst part is hearing those stupid voiceovers again and again so I just quit.
I think my biggest gripe so far is that when you set a waypoint, it can actually get hidden by loving architecture, which is insanely bad because every building in the city can potentially hide it.

Also really hated that the loving glass in the building infiltration mission seemed completely transparent, making me run into it several times. Also in the Birdman pigeon rescue sidemission, there was a gate with the pigeon in it and I could not climb over it. Even doing the walljump, I hit an invisible wall and could not reach it. So, that was the end of the beta for me. I just really hope they fix the navigation waypoint stuff because it's a big city, and not being able to have little indicators for even side missions would make this annoyingly unplayable for me.

The deliveries are definitely tough. There's one going from dropbox to dropbox that the echo sends you right and down stairs when the goal is actually left and up some obstacles, completely inaccessible from how you're directed to go and it's hard to figure out otherwise. Wouldn't be so bad if the load time to reset wasn't so long.

The Birdman mission isn't as bad as you think. That fence has barbed wire on it so you can't scale it, but looking around you'll find a wall you can wall run to get up on a ledge with a cloth hanging off it and you can get into the fenced area like that.

I do agree that navigation could be better even just having an on-screen waypoint for where you're headed. The open world is nice in that there are so many ways to navigate the map, but when you're on a strict time limit not knowing where you're going is an instant failure.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how I can be even more super-murderer now by cruelly kicking people off of buildings to their grisly deaths via splattering on the ground horrifying civilians.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shoren posted:

The deliveries are definitely tough. There's one going from dropbox to dropbox that the echo sends you right and down stairs when the goal is actually left and up some obstacles, completely inaccessible from how you're directed to go and it's hard to figure out otherwise. Wouldn't be so bad if the load time to reset wasn't so long.

The Birdman mission isn't as bad as you think. That fence has barbed wire on it so you can't scale it, but looking around you'll find a wall you can wall run to get up on a ledge with a cloth hanging off it and you can get into the fenced area like that.

I do agree that navigation could be better even just having an on-screen waypoint for where you're headed. The open world is nice in that there are so many ways to navigate the map, but when you're on a strict time limit not knowing where you're going is an instant failure.

Yeah like I said, having no navigational help and only learning where to go through 3 to 4 failures is not conducive. Either fix the waypoint system or give more seconds to clear those runs. As for the Birdman thing, I couldn't even jump over the fence from a higher height--it just legit glitched out and wouldn't let me pass. I thought it was a beta restriction, but oh well.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Agree with the drop box missions, except that I only have a tough time with them on my first blind try. After one mess up, I can see generally the obstacles that are ahead, so a retry makes it much easier.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I went through a few of the community-made races that do display a ghost, and there's one exploit that made it over from ME1: If you continually do the coiljump (i.e. pressing duck while in air to pull up your legs), you'll move faster than at a straight run. So by just bunnyhopping like mad you'll be several seconds faster than somebody who just properly ran on the ground along the same route. Hopefully they'll fix that before release.

I'd kind of expect them not to, in a way. The Mirror's Edge team has seemingly been really happy with what became of Mirror's Edge speedrunning with all the little engine tricks and exploits, so I'd be surprised if they didn't leave some of those sorts of things in, or even intentionally make new ones. Though I guess multiplayer leader boards makes a different sort of concern than weird little speedrun tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
not gonna lie, this is my most anticipated game of the year. I really hope they nail the landing since this will be the last chance for mirrors edge to make an impact.

• Locked thread