Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Anatharon posted:

a reboot of a series that's one game that didn't even come out that long ago is still hilarious.

I can see why they decided to go with a reboot. Mirror's Edge was 8 years ago, which is more than long enough for the developers to decide they didn't like the box they wrote themselves into with that game's ending. IIRC when the new game was first announced they pitched it as a "prequel" and it's not hard to imagine how that turns into "actually let's just scrap all that stuff from before and start from scratch" over the course of a few productive design meetings.

I don't mind, personally. I didn't hate the first game's story the way some people did but it's not like I'm tearing my hair out because we'll never find out how Faith and Kate got off the roof of that building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Wait, the roll isn't a default move? how much upgrading will I need to just run and have fun in the city?

You have some kind of "preserve momentum after a fall" move at the start of the game, but you can upgrade it into a better version that carries more of your momentum. AFAIK you have most of the basic moveset you need at the start of the game and you get enough upgrades early on that any basic stuff you need to buy comes pretty quick.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

all of those moves are basic poo poo like sliding and jumping. quite a few games do this pointless poo poo now for some reason, like AC syndicate wherein the first row of skills was just your default moves.

I'm sure they do this just because they want you to have the skills menu as a reference for all the abilities you have, not just the ones you can unlock. The developers have said in interviews that one of the main reasons they included a skill tree was because unlocking an ability, particularly a more esoteric one that might not be immediately intuitive, encourages you to think about that ability and consider how to incorporate it into your movement instead of forgetting about it entirely as soon as the tutorial ends. And if that's the design goal, including your basic abilities in the unlock menu makes perfect sense; it might not be strictly necessary, but it doesn't hurt to have the information there in case you need it, and if you've been overlooking part of your moveset there's a chance you'll notice that move in the menu and think "oh, right, I should try doing that."

• Locked thread