Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Strategic Tea posted:

Oh come on there's nothing wrong with adding some minor progression to a game :rolleyes:

It's not like they're locking off jumps or wallruns.

At the same time I agree there isn't much reason for it to be there...

Yeah, like this just seems like the obligatory RPG lite unlock/upgrade mechanic that they're putting in every open world game these days and lots of non open world games too (Mad Max, Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Shadow Warrior, Sleeping Dogs, Wolfenstein TNO, Assassin's Creed etc etc). Its pretty dumb and pointless but I've never seen goons act like its a game ruiner before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DropsySufferer posted:

It looks they made the main character better looking this time.

I couldn't find another picture but this is enough.The first Faith from the first game looks like a strong average woman and definitely no glamour model. More what I'd expect a gymnast to look like.

This one though could pass as a model and I also appreciate the little cleavage there.

This reminds me of those horrible mods where some idiots were trying to make her look more attractive from the first game. I guess this time that side won out and this is what we get.

I think you're really stretching here, also lol at the idea that Faith in the first game was meant to look like an average, fit woman.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shoren posted:

Conflict is something that you can't do away with in this game, either. Without it you'd might as well just make a whole game like the Pure Time Trials pack (which I'm sure people would want, but even more want a narrative). Dice at least recognized that the combat sections in the original broke the flow too much so they did away with guns (one of the biggest complaints of the original) and made it so you can take down guys easier while running without stopping your momentum to do it.

Yeah, like they seem to be tying the combat mechanics directly into the movement so that you can flow between one and the other with the same skillset. Look at the preview videos, your exploiting your movement to sidestep enemies and bash them from behind or setting up particularly powerful attacks by pulling off tricky platforming like walljumps. A lot of the previews have also emphasized the idea that you don't need to stop dead to smash somebody's face in but instead can just chain in a light attack while moving to temporarily disable a foe while you keep pressing on before they recover. I would have thought that would be exactly how they should deal with combat if its going to be in the game, so is it just the existence of combat at all in Mirror's Edge that's a problem? Because when people were talking about it in the last game most of the complaints seemed to be centered on the gunplay in particular.

Icept posted:

I... don't really know what you are arguing for or against.

Neither does he.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DropsySufferer posted:

The character from the first game is not as good looking as this new character. This is a hard thing to objectively prove so this is just my opinion that's all I can say.

I liked the character design from the first game better myself. I'm just a little disappointed that this reboot had to make her look a cuter and more attractive. I wanted a tough strong character that's all.

Reminder, this is one of the first, and few, times you see Faith's face in the original:

You can really see the years of hardship and strife etched into her grizzled face!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

TBH, I just wish they had figured out how to make the gun combat integrate better with the movement. Because as clunky as the gun combat was, it was so much better than the unarmed combat.

Both the unarmed and gun combat stopped the game dead in its tracks which was my biggest problem. They've shown how they can work unarmed into the flow of the movement to some degree so fine, go ahead, but I can't imagine how they'd fix the gunplay in the same manner. I'm happy to see it go.

What I hope is that most encounters can be slipped past if your nimble enough and you generally won't be forced to stand and fight.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

chumbler posted:

It's good that they poorly solved a problem they made for no reason, but there is still the question of why any of that is even there. If it doesn't matter, why is it there?

Because its one of those trends that weasels its way into AAA gaming for a while you know? It was probably forced in by some suit at EA since it's the 'in' thing for open world games at the moment which our market analysts say improves long term sales by 13.5 percent measuring from the first week after launch. Here watch this video and slam your fists onto a table in furious agreement if you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-EuyU2hb8

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
A podcast I like pointed out that this game seems to be trying hard to hit the notes of YA fiction that appeals to teenage women A la the Hunger games and that song really made that clear for me. I can't really think of any other AAA games do go for that kind of thing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Man, people are on crack reviewing this game. The combat is cool and keeps you super mobile, and a lot of situations you can just run through with your focus shield and kick people out of the way without even losing speed. The way that DICE has set it up you can easily level a room of 4-5 dudes all shooting at you if you just mix up your attacks.

Will you get over yourself, the game's getting lukewarm reviews at the very worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I really think this game is way underrated. I don't get how it can be scoring 50-70 from reviewers and even less from users, when the core gameplay is so solid and fun if you enjoyed the original ME. They have successfully nailed the open world concept and the map is fairly large with a decent amount of stuff to do. Also it looks really great, on my PC anyway. Yeah fine the story isn't amazing, but neither was the original's so I don't get it...

The game is not being panned, the only really negative review I've seen is Jim Stirling's, everything else is floating around a 7 or 8 (which honestly feels like what it deserves IMO) in spite of the fact that a lot of the user reviews are much more negative.

• Locked thread