Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

isn't rolling and poo poo like unlocked almost immediately? the kneejerk of a skill tree is laughable, you'll probably have everything you need in the first hour.

Sucks poo poo that this was delayed again, already was disappointed it moved from February but this is probably to avoid a Mad Max/MGSV same-day launch situation with Overwatch, which would kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people wanted bigger environments to gently caress around in, no weapon usage, and less linear progression. looks like the demos have all of that covered. does anyone actually have beta codes for this? I was curious to hear how the game looks or feels on a console. I've heard 40 to 60fps on XBone?

I forgot if they made a point of this but I remember EA and DICE saying you could pretty much create your own time trials and poo poo so you could just jump around forever.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sankis posted:

Oh dear, isn't that the week of E3? That doesn't bode well for the game if they want to bury it :(

Not at all, it's just before E3 (which starts like the 12th or 13th of June).

Been reading some great impressions of the beta, including one about the moveset/skill tree poo poo if you're still worried about it:

quote:

So the skill tree; I was able to unlock a new ability every 30 minutes of playtime. It's a pretty good pace for unlocks. You should be able to get all the movement abilities within 3-4 hours of playtime. The added a "shift" move which gives a short burst of speed in a given direction. you can use it to avoid enemies or to reach your top speed faster after a clamber or hard landing. You can also roll cancel your slides, this could have some high level applications. They also added a quick attack that lets you hit an enemy while keeping all your speed. It's main purpose isn't to fight but to actually hold onto your momentum better. When dropping from a large height you would usually roll however with the quick hit you can goomba stomp an enemy and instantly run away at full speed. This is easily my favorite addition to the game.

Overall sounds really great and you should have your basic moveset upgraded to standard stuff fairly quickly.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chumbler posted:

What if instead of having to wait for 3 or 4 hours for no reason to do cool fun stuff I could just do the cool fun stuff from the start?

I don't think you're going to be waiting around in a blank space doing nothing for the first few hours, what does this even mean. gradually upgrading a character with poo poo is nothing new, and needing to "buy" worthwhile skills for poo poo isn't new either. Revengeance and Wonderful 101 were both games that basically made you buy things like a dodge or a parry but they came just as quick as people are getting whatever basic rolls or jumps they need in the beta.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chumbler posted:

Having to buy dodge and parry in those games was also indefensibly stupid and widely called out as such. There's no reason at all to have gradual progression in this kind of game. It's bizarre that anyone would defend it, and if "It's been done before" is the best you've got I'm not sure why you're trying. Why bother putting in something like that that people are at best neutral about?

not disagreeing it's stupid but it's also such a tiny thing to get upset about? but people have already made up their minds that it'll be a colossal piece of satanic poo poo so whatever, enjoy neogaf

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

surc posted:

Mirror's Edge was a great game with some flaws, and instead of fixing those flaws to make the game people hoped for out of Mirror's Edge 2, they introduced new flaws.

Also, lol at "People weren't convinced to agree with me by my extremely nuanced and detailed 'but it's actually good' argument? whatever, plebs :smug:"

yes sorry I actually tried to detail things that were in the game instead of coming into the thread loving crying how it will be a poo poo rpg game. if you've made up your mind then that's fine, god bless

quote:

E: The thread is like 2 pages long, I'm sure somebody else will come in to defend this game none of us have not played yet against the horror that is people thinking it looks bad.

I just got the beta code this morning and will probably try to post videos/details of how it plays tomorrow, maybe it will be garbage, who knows but at least it will be rooted in some real gametime. Don't know if anyone else here has a code but they are sending them out today.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 22, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Played this for about an hour or two on PS4---the tutorial basically runs you through runner vision and handholds your rear end but as soon as you get into the city, you can turn everything off and go your own way for all routes and object interactions.

- Getting one thing out of the way: you get like 2-3 points right off the bat from the first two side missions, you can use both to get the roll/walljump. There, problem solved everybody, nothing to see here. The actual movement skill tree from there branches off into a few things like double wall jumps or faster pipe climbs--didn't see anything else that was a basic move from the last game locked up so the skill tree of woe is overblown, if not pretty useless. The rest of the stuff I saw were combat upgrades and moves, but nothing life changing. The skill tree is barely a thing so there's nothing remotely RPG or annoying about unlocking this stuff.

- Controls are great, and I'd argue might rely on even tighter reactions. You do get an easier springboard jump by holding down jump now, but wallrunning and tactical rolls/sprint recoveries take a bit to get used to. You can spin around tight spaces and slide around just as easy as the first game.

- Combat popped up every so often but it's pretty easy. You're a way faster force than even a 3-4 man squad can handle. Might be stronger foes later but haven't see them yet.

- Was surprised that the majority of the game beta was running at 60fps, with occasional dips--but otherwise it looks great. Cutscenes are rough, but whatever, it's a beta. Overall, the city looks clean and slightly more futuristic than it was in the last game. There are flying car things that zoom around but I couldn't land on any of those.

- Collectible poo poo is hidden all over--memory chip things, Crackdown floaty things, etc. The floaty hack things are more or less rewards for being skilled at dangerous traversal, while the other stuff is there for people who take the time to explore darker passages. Honestly, I like having stuff like that to pick up in a game where I'm jumping around doing stupid parkour, but your mileage may vary. The game's map isn't Ubisoft in this stuff, either--it's sparse and barren of the zillion icons you'd find for an AC game. I'd compare the items more to the Spider Man 2 tokens you just naturally happen across while traversing the game.

This was just my impression upon one hour or so of playing it but there's nothing outwardly negative that comes to mind; the beginning missions are easy and boorish but the foundation is there for some cool poo poo. I think the only thing I really, REALLY miss is the soundtrack....I heard almost no music while playing and loved the music in the first one so I'm wondering if they'll have tracks in the finished game playing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Ugh why the gently caress is she standing still? loving EA ruining the game what do you have to stand and look at the cops now before you can run from them?

don't worry, he kicks you off a balcony anyway

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

those dash challenges are good but has anyone even done the delivery mission? I feel like with the nonexistent navigation/waypoints they are impossible. I've tried to do the vial delivery and statue delivery and jesus christ, it seems the time limits given are WAY too short. I genuinely thought they were impossible but maybe I'm just bad, because there are just no indicators about where you're going unless you bring up the map. And even then, if you change the waypoint, you can't get the original one loving back. Worst part is hearing those stupid voiceovers again and again so I just quit.
I think my biggest gripe so far is that when you set a waypoint, it can actually get hidden by loving architecture, which is insanely bad because every building in the city can potentially hide it.

Also really hated that the loving glass in the building infiltration mission seemed completely transparent, making me run into it several times. Also in the Birdman pigeon rescue sidemission, there was a gate with the pigeon in it and I could not climb over it. Even doing the walljump, I hit an invisible wall and could not reach it. So, that was the end of the beta for me. I just really hope they fix the navigation waypoint stuff because it's a big city, and not being able to have little indicators for even side missions would make this annoyingly unplayable for me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shoren posted:

The deliveries are definitely tough. There's one going from dropbox to dropbox that the echo sends you right and down stairs when the goal is actually left and up some obstacles, completely inaccessible from how you're directed to go and it's hard to figure out otherwise. Wouldn't be so bad if the load time to reset wasn't so long.

The Birdman mission isn't as bad as you think. That fence has barbed wire on it so you can't scale it, but looking around you'll find a wall you can wall run to get up on a ledge with a cloth hanging off it and you can get into the fenced area like that.

I do agree that navigation could be better even just having an on-screen waypoint for where you're headed. The open world is nice in that there are so many ways to navigate the map, but when you're on a strict time limit not knowing where you're going is an instant failure.

Yeah like I said, having no navigational help and only learning where to go through 3 to 4 failures is not conducive. Either fix the waypoint system or give more seconds to clear those runs. As for the Birdman thing, I couldn't even jump over the fence from a higher height--it just legit glitched out and wouldn't let me pass. I thought it was a beta restriction, but oh well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Is it confirmed that you start the main game with the skills the beta starts with? Or will you need to unlock some of those too? Seemed like the beta started with 3 rows of movement skills unlocked.

all of those moves are basic poo poo like sliding and jumping. quite a few games do this pointless poo poo now for some reason, like AC syndicate wherein the first row of skills was just your default moves.

Al-Saqr posted:

Wait, the roll isn't a default move? how much upgrading will I need to just run and have fun in the city?

You unlock the two other basic things, rolling and 180 turn for walljumps, in the first hour or so just from the first 1 or 2 missions plus whatever collectable stuff you run into. everything else you unlock in this game looks like either combat things that you don't even really need at the moment, or additional boosts like "can wallrun twice in a row by jumping betwixt walls"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Walrus posted:

One of the many lovely things we can blame the excellent batman games for.

edit: remember when asylum came out and we were all 'gee I wish all third person action games had this fighting system'. whooooops.

how many games got it right though? granted Mordor straight up aped well since it's a WB game, and Mad Max made it even more brutal (another WB game) I can't think of any other games that actually made it fun.

Anyways the combat in this is pretty quick to the point where if you need to pause and fight instead of "wall run to a takedown" then you did things wrong. I only had trouble with the 2nd mission fight because the near-invisible glass in the offices kept messing me up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the story of the first one was pretty stock and it will probably be the same thing for the second one, but as long as it runs well and looks good then I don't care. Demo felt nice so I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't even mind the collection stuff because in a world like this, they're actually fun to try and find while you're exploring the vertical areas.

By all means it seems like "Mirror's Edge but now bigger and better looking and you have a hubworld with other poo poo to do and now you don't use guns" which I think was at least most of what people wanted from a sequel. It will probably eventually be compared to the other, likely better action/rpg 1st-person games coming out later (Deus Ex, Dishonored) but it's still extremely cool and fun that Catalyst even exists.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reviews seem pretty mixed as I expected but I liked the demo/beta very much and was impressed with how well it was running on PS4. I liked the first game a whole lot so if the new one has setpieces at least as good as the helicopter chase leading to the whole sewer sequence or that incredible unfinished tower climb en route to the sniper nest, I'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

having waited like 8 years for this game, playing it just feels boring as gently caress. There really is no reason for the open world at all. I pick up shitloads of these memory cards and dataleaks which are meaningless enough but on top of that, the rewards for colelcting them are incredibly bad. making it worse was all the E3 footage of Dishonored 2 which is going to poo poo all over this game in terms of tightly-crafted 1st person verticality.

• Locked thread